GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[Film] Forgetting Sarah Marshall"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 23/08/08 at 19:49
Regular
Film Review - Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Ok sports fans, review no. 2.

So you have hit big time success with comedies 40 year old virgin and knocked up, what is next for writer, producer and director Judd Apatow?

Forgetting Sarah marshall is a smart romantic comedy, yes you read that right, a SMART romantic comedy that has more of an underline on the comedy rather than the romance which is an equation i can get involved with!

Peter Bretter, (Jason Segal - How i met you mother) is you average lovable guy that is dating a stunning actress from a hit tv series, the premise of the film is that after 5 years of relationship Peter is dumped for another man. Peter is devastated. Miserably depressed, having to stare at his ex's face day in day out as he scores the show she works on, he seeks solace in tawdry one-night stands resulting in some awkard and equally helarious moments! After some advice from his (underused) step-brother Pete decides to take a vacation from it all and visits Hawaii in an attempt to get over the dissastrous breakup, but guess who's already there with her new boyfriend....

Ok so it is a complete cliche of a storyline that you come to expect from romantic comedies, but bare with me!!!

Sarah's new boyfriend turns out to be Rocker Aldous Snow by by the helarious but terrible actor Russell Brand, Brand is the cool new boyfriend that you just can't hate as he bounces from one scene to the next providing comedy moments and situations even if some of it is his acting. Ok maybe i am unfair to be criticising his acting since the guy is playing his usually dry witty self and to be fair does not do a horrible job at it and provides smiles throughout the film.

Peter meets new love interest Rachel Jansen (Mila Kunis - That 70s show) and the film shows some heart as she brings out the quiet confidence he so obviously has in spades (altho still unsure about the whole puppet dracula thing lol). I could be biased, i love this chick and have done since that 70s show days but she does well as "the girl next door" and quickly becomes an ideal holiday romance for any guy!

Ok so now you know the premise what do i think?

The film is an above average comedy in its own right, from awkward moments (Peter being told to keep the hysterical crying down in his room due to complaints) to the many funny cameos (paul Rudd and Jonah Hill making the most contribution) it will keep you easily entertained and smiling throughout. The script is well written and excellently performed by most parties, the fact you almost care about the characters at the end of the film is a great credit to this. The pace of the film keeps it ticking over from joke to joke nicely and nobody tries to steal the spotlight.

I would definately recommend this film. It works so well as a date movie also, she can enjoy the romance while you sit back and enjoy Russell Brand simulating sex with a chess piece!

8 / 10
Sat 23/08/08 at 22:46
Regular
"THFC"
I watched this film a week or so ago, and i really enjoyed it, i did think the first half was better than the second but a good/easy film to just sit back and watch that will make you laugh

Another good review Nugento, well done.
Sat 23/08/08 at 19:49
Regular
Film Review - Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Ok sports fans, review no. 2.

So you have hit big time success with comedies 40 year old virgin and knocked up, what is next for writer, producer and director Judd Apatow?

Forgetting Sarah marshall is a smart romantic comedy, yes you read that right, a SMART romantic comedy that has more of an underline on the comedy rather than the romance which is an equation i can get involved with!

Peter Bretter, (Jason Segal - How i met you mother) is you average lovable guy that is dating a stunning actress from a hit tv series, the premise of the film is that after 5 years of relationship Peter is dumped for another man. Peter is devastated. Miserably depressed, having to stare at his ex's face day in day out as he scores the show she works on, he seeks solace in tawdry one-night stands resulting in some awkard and equally helarious moments! After some advice from his (underused) step-brother Pete decides to take a vacation from it all and visits Hawaii in an attempt to get over the dissastrous breakup, but guess who's already there with her new boyfriend....

Ok so it is a complete cliche of a storyline that you come to expect from romantic comedies, but bare with me!!!

Sarah's new boyfriend turns out to be Rocker Aldous Snow by by the helarious but terrible actor Russell Brand, Brand is the cool new boyfriend that you just can't hate as he bounces from one scene to the next providing comedy moments and situations even if some of it is his acting. Ok maybe i am unfair to be criticising his acting since the guy is playing his usually dry witty self and to be fair does not do a horrible job at it and provides smiles throughout the film.

Peter meets new love interest Rachel Jansen (Mila Kunis - That 70s show) and the film shows some heart as she brings out the quiet confidence he so obviously has in spades (altho still unsure about the whole puppet dracula thing lol). I could be biased, i love this chick and have done since that 70s show days but she does well as "the girl next door" and quickly becomes an ideal holiday romance for any guy!

Ok so now you know the premise what do i think?

The film is an above average comedy in its own right, from awkward moments (Peter being told to keep the hysterical crying down in his room due to complaints) to the many funny cameos (paul Rudd and Jonah Hill making the most contribution) it will keep you easily entertained and smiling throughout. The script is well written and excellently performed by most parties, the fact you almost care about the characters at the end of the film is a great credit to this. The pace of the film keeps it ticking over from joke to joke nicely and nobody tries to steal the spotlight.

I would definately recommend this film. It works so well as a date movie also, she can enjoy the romance while you sit back and enjoy Russell Brand simulating sex with a chess piece!

8 / 10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.