GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[Film] The Forbidden Kingdom"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 17/08/08 at 21:39
Regular
Two kung fu masters and silver screen entertainers, Jackie Chan and Jet Li combine for the first time in this "epic" martial arts films of east meets west with newcomer Michael Angarano thrown into the equation for... well i have to be honest i am still not entirely sure.

The film starts off well with a nod to the old school martial arts show "monkey" in a dream sequence (i will forgive overuse of dream sequences in this film purely because monkey brings back wonderful memories of a happy time :-D ), new kid on the block (yes cliche plot but wait it gets better, ok not really but still keep reading) Jason played by new comer Michael Angarano is completely obsessed with kung fu movies and constantly dreams of being the next karate kid! (yet struggles to recognise two of the biggest stars of this genre when face to face with them)

Kid gets bullied *YAWN* has an embarassing situation with a girl *YAWN* and is friendly with a the asian martial arts shop owner, what appears to be a 100000000000000000 year old badly disguised kung fu master, he finds a mystical staff by being obviously nosey and touching things he shouldnt and falls off a roof and ends up in anciet china.... seriously he falls off a roof and ends up in anciet china!

Now Jason instantly finds trouble and is rescued by a drunk Jackie Chan doing his best to provide the film with some comic relief after the viewers intelligence has been insulting with such a terribly put together plot. They team up after finding out Jason is....get this... the chosen 1 *slaps forehead* so he must master kung fu (in like a week!) and set on a mission with a female warrior companion to take the staff to the resting place of a champion, meeting a monk warrior Jet Li along the way.

Plot aside the film is entertaining, some of the action sequences are fantastically choreographed. Jackie Chan was on form the entire film and shows why he has become a cult hero. The characters are not very deep, the script was average at best and any drama involved in the film seems thrown together and weak.

Let me get to the point, this film was made for one reason and one reason only, to finally put together two of the greatest kung fu masters we have had the privelidge to see on scene. So is it worth the wait?

No is the simple truth, it is halfway through the film before the two actually lock horns. Now do not get me wrong, the battle between the two is fantastic. Both obviously enjoying themselves as the battle commences you can see the competition between the two, there is a little extra venom two both sets of moves as they seem to want to test each other. They seem to be thinking the same thing we are, who would win actually win this fight?

The trouble is once this scene is over, that is it game over..... seriously they do not fight with each other or against each other in the entire film, yet are in almost every scene together. It felt to me like someone telling me i could pick wotever girl i wanted in the playboy mansion.... for nothing more than a conversation involving green house gases and their affect on the environment, not that i have anything against this discusion but it's not why im at the mansion!!

This is not to say the film is awful, it is a fun family orrientated action flick with some great fight scenes and some laugh out loud comedy, (look for Jet Li urinating on Jackie!) as a martial arts film it is watchable but as a fan of both actors i could not help walking out of the cinema with a huge feeling of anti-climax still dreaming of day that these two get a film that showcases what fantastic performers they both are, well that and an invitation to the playboy mansion. ;-)

6/10
Wed 20/08/08 at 14:40
"possibly impossible"
Well done on the GAD, there. Nice review.

Looking forward to seeing this film at some point on DVD or Blu Ray.
Wed 20/08/08 at 12:03
Regular
"THFC"
Well done Nugento on the win - good to see some new faces actually contribute to and do well on this site
Wed 20/08/08 at 12:00
Regular
"Hello?"
Well done on the GAD, Nice Review.
Mon 18/08/08 at 09:00
Regular
"I like turtles"
Nice review mate.Like Emmie said good to see a new member adding one.Although The Forbidden Kingdom is not a classic I thought it was Chan's best US movie in ages.Saying that though he has made some truly dreadful films in the past few years (like The Medallion,The Tuxedo and don't get me started on Rush Hour 3!).It wasn't a true martial arts film so if you were expecting a full on butt kicking fest I can understand why you might have felt a little short changed.Personally though I liked the way the Chan and Li did not try in anyway to out perform each other and thought the film was all the better for it.I think you have to take The Forbidden Kingdom for what it is and that is a harmless bit of fun.I would recommend getting some beers in and renting it when it comes out on DVD in November.
Mon 18/08/08 at 08:20
Regular
"THFC"
Great Review and nice to see some new users who actually add to the forum!

Was always tempted to see this film just because i like a bit of kung fu action and seeing Jackie Chan and Jet Li had the makings to be something great. May give it a watch when it comes to DVD just to see what it is like.
Sun 17/08/08 at 21:39
Regular
Two kung fu masters and silver screen entertainers, Jackie Chan and Jet Li combine for the first time in this "epic" martial arts films of east meets west with newcomer Michael Angarano thrown into the equation for... well i have to be honest i am still not entirely sure.

The film starts off well with a nod to the old school martial arts show "monkey" in a dream sequence (i will forgive overuse of dream sequences in this film purely because monkey brings back wonderful memories of a happy time :-D ), new kid on the block (yes cliche plot but wait it gets better, ok not really but still keep reading) Jason played by new comer Michael Angarano is completely obsessed with kung fu movies and constantly dreams of being the next karate kid! (yet struggles to recognise two of the biggest stars of this genre when face to face with them)

Kid gets bullied *YAWN* has an embarassing situation with a girl *YAWN* and is friendly with a the asian martial arts shop owner, what appears to be a 100000000000000000 year old badly disguised kung fu master, he finds a mystical staff by being obviously nosey and touching things he shouldnt and falls off a roof and ends up in anciet china.... seriously he falls off a roof and ends up in anciet china!

Now Jason instantly finds trouble and is rescued by a drunk Jackie Chan doing his best to provide the film with some comic relief after the viewers intelligence has been insulting with such a terribly put together plot. They team up after finding out Jason is....get this... the chosen 1 *slaps forehead* so he must master kung fu (in like a week!) and set on a mission with a female warrior companion to take the staff to the resting place of a champion, meeting a monk warrior Jet Li along the way.

Plot aside the film is entertaining, some of the action sequences are fantastically choreographed. Jackie Chan was on form the entire film and shows why he has become a cult hero. The characters are not very deep, the script was average at best and any drama involved in the film seems thrown together and weak.

Let me get to the point, this film was made for one reason and one reason only, to finally put together two of the greatest kung fu masters we have had the privelidge to see on scene. So is it worth the wait?

No is the simple truth, it is halfway through the film before the two actually lock horns. Now do not get me wrong, the battle between the two is fantastic. Both obviously enjoying themselves as the battle commences you can see the competition between the two, there is a little extra venom two both sets of moves as they seem to want to test each other. They seem to be thinking the same thing we are, who would win actually win this fight?

The trouble is once this scene is over, that is it game over..... seriously they do not fight with each other or against each other in the entire film, yet are in almost every scene together. It felt to me like someone telling me i could pick wotever girl i wanted in the playboy mansion.... for nothing more than a conversation involving green house gases and their affect on the environment, not that i have anything against this discusion but it's not why im at the mansion!!

This is not to say the film is awful, it is a fun family orrientated action flick with some great fight scenes and some laugh out loud comedy, (look for Jet Li urinating on Jackie!) as a martial arts film it is watchable but as a fan of both actors i could not help walking out of the cinema with a huge feeling of anti-climax still dreaming of day that these two get a film that showcases what fantastic performers they both are, well that and an invitation to the playboy mansion. ;-)

6/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.