GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS2 modding..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 26/10/05 at 01:18
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I have an old PS2 that doesn't really work. It has to be taken apart and then put back together after a thorough cleaning to get anywhere, but five minutes later it'll be gone again. So I'm going to mod it whilst I have the opportunity.

My plan is to make it as flat as possible to fit under my TV, like a VCR. Shouldn't be too tricky, most of the components come straight out and can be laid next to each other without affecting airflow to keep it cool. Just need to make a case that will support a large TV, and that the DVD drive can be removable from.

If anyone has any ideas what else I can do with this old PS2, I'd be thrilled to hear them. Thrilled.
Wed 26/10/05 at 17:08
Regular
"Bicycle"
Umm... Sorry, what're the dimensions? I mean, what's the height gonna be? Because surely you could buy some 60mm fans and use those, or go for a water-cooling system. Or some massive heatsinks, which you mod to half height or so. (I'm more of a PC modder.)
Wed 26/10/05 at 12:39
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Daily Mail: "Videogames Cause Fires"
Wed 26/10/05 at 12:14
Regular
"Hot Gun On Ma Waist"
Ok remember to show us a pic when you finish, and then again when it burns down your front room?
Wed 26/10/05 at 12:11
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Could you run a tube through the case with holes in it and then pass cool air through the tube somehow?
Wed 26/10/05 at 11:23
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
AliBoy wrote:
> Just watch when you take it apart. The lid is connected to the DVD
> drive with an eject ribbon. Break that and you are funked from the
> start.
>
> There are also a few other things connected to the case so you'd need
> to work out the best way to lay them out so that they are still
> connected.

Yeha, I've taken it apart loads of times already for cleaning and stuff - the ribbons all pop right out, very simple.
Wed 26/10/05 at 11:22
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
So here's the plan:

A flat unit, roughly an inch high, with the components spread out over a base of approx 16x10 inches. Sounds big, but it's to go under my TV, which is big. The space will be used up with wireless joypad units and a built in remote (I'll place parts from an old multitap inside the case to expand this), plus an LCD clock if I can find a backlit battery-powered one.

I'll probably keep the entire tray mechanism and elongate the front unit to fit a metal supporting case, but the outer will be plastic. Would be good to replace the front, so I'll think about this, but it's easier to keep the parts as they are and concentrate on the case.

Would be cool to have that whole brushed aluminium thing going on, but it'll need to be plastic if I'm placing it on furniture.

Main concern is the airflow for heating. The fan takes up a big chunk on the back, which might scupper the whole project. The components won't be as closely packed, but it'll still need cooling somehow.
Wed 26/10/05 at 11:12
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Just watch when you take it apart. The lid is connected to the DVD drive with an eject ribbon. Break that and you are funked from the start.

There are also a few other things connected to the case so you'd need to work out the best way to lay them out so that they are still connected.
Wed 26/10/05 at 01:38
Regular
"8==="
Enter it in Robot Wars.
Wed 26/10/05 at 01:36
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Nah, I'd prefer to do something that involves removing/changing the casing completely.
Wed 26/10/05 at 01:32
Regular
"8==="
Providing it doesn't insulate it too much and overheat it try putting a sheet of glass/something solid and fairly see-through as the top layer so you can see it all working when you slide the machine out, that'd be cool.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.