GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"(Film) The Dark Knight (2008)"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 25/07/08 at 01:13
Regular
"I like turtles"
Christopher Nolan's 2005 Batman Begins was of my favourite super hero films of the past few years and three years later its sequel is here.Nolan is in my opinion one of the most exciting directors to emerge for a while.I enjoyed all of his previous efforts (Memento,Insomnia,The Prestige and of course Batman Begins) and he certainly does not 'drop the ball' here either.

The basic plot is Batman and Lt.Gordon decide to join forces with the new district attorney Harvey Dent in a bid to rid Gotham City of a vicious and psychopathic bank robber known only as 'The Joker'.This film certainly maintains the dark overtones of the original and for a movie of its kind this has a hell of a lot of storyline (which I will not spoil for anyone who hasn't yet seen it).This does,however lead to it having a running time of around two and a half hours.Due to this some may feel it drags a little in places ?,I personally did not.

The film looks amazing throughout with Gotham City again looking totally out of this world.The action sequences are the best I have seen in any Hollywood blockbuster this year and are placed very well within the storyline to make sure you never lose interest.The script kept me enthralled and there are some great lines to enjoy here too (again I won't spoil them) as well as one or two surprises along the way.

There are so many characters in this film and every member of The Dark Knight's cast delivered in my opinion.Christian Bale is very good again as the tortured soul that is Batman as are Michael Caine,Morgan Freeman and Gary Oldman (all of whom reprise their roles).However I feel a special mention is due to Aaron Eckhart's portrayal of Harvey Dent.For those who have never seen much of him before check out his brilliant performance in the very underrated 'Thank You For Smoking',he was great in that as he is here too.Which brings me onto sadly why this film has perhaps attracted the publicity it has ?,and that it is the performance in it of the late Heath Ledger.Prior to this I would not have ever said I was a fan of his work to be perfectly honest but here he totally blew me away.His portrayal of 'The Joker' (a totally twisted,messed up character if ever there was one) is truly mesmerizing.In a film with so many strong performances,so many amazing special effects and jaw dropping action sequences he simply steals every scene he is in.When he 'ramps up the crazy' he is genuinely unnerving,this is a masterclass performance in every sense of the word.I know there is a lot of talk about him getting an Oscar nomination for his performance here and to be honest I would be amazed if he didn't receive one.All I would say is if he does not receive a nomination I will be extremely interested to see the performances that beat him.

I have seen a fair few super hero films which for me fell well short of the mark (Superman Returns,Spider-Man 3,X-Men 3 spring to mind).Well here is one that not only does not disappoint,it actually improves on its already excellent predecessor.

Go and see it on the biggest screen you can find ! 10/10.
Fri 25/07/08 at 22:57
Regular
"I like turtles"
Stupid Pixie,if you want to write a Dark Knight review go for it mate.The more the merrier IMO.Every person will take something slightly different away from any experience.I personally thought Indiana Jones 4 was dreadful yet loads of people loved it.
Fri 25/07/08 at 16:27
"possibly impossible"
Well, there's certainly no IMAX and the nearest Vue is so expensive, I may have to watch it in our local small cinema.

When I get that big HD TV however, I'll have my own proper home cinema to do the Blu-ray release justice!
Fri 25/07/08 at 13:03
Regular
"I like turtles"
Cheers guys !!!.pb don't download it,this film is what multiplex cinemas were built for.You will be seriously short changing yourself if watch a crappy 'cam' copy of it.
Fri 25/07/08 at 11:59
"possibly impossible"
Great review Pete, I'l have to either wait till August to watch this or torrent it.

SP - do write a review, it's always good to have more opinions on the same film, even if the score is the same at the end.
Fri 25/07/08 at 10:38
Regular
Great review! You deserve a GAD for this. I totally agree with you on this film, i saw a 12'o'clock viewing yesterday and i thought it was brilliant. Ledger played one of the best villians i have ever seen and it was also some of the best acting as well. He definatly deserves the Oscar.

I was going to write a review for this one but i don't think i'll bother now, not with this many reviews on it. I'll find a different one. :D
Fri 25/07/08 at 09:38
Regular
"THFC"
Great review pete - just posted one aswell lol, figure i was writting mine as you posted yours!

Glad to see you gave it the score it deserves!
Fri 25/07/08 at 08:52
Regular
Nice Review, I got one coming a bit later on, was going to post it last night but went out drinking instead :)
Fri 25/07/08 at 01:13
Regular
"I like turtles"
Christopher Nolan's 2005 Batman Begins was of my favourite super hero films of the past few years and three years later its sequel is here.Nolan is in my opinion one of the most exciting directors to emerge for a while.I enjoyed all of his previous efforts (Memento,Insomnia,The Prestige and of course Batman Begins) and he certainly does not 'drop the ball' here either.

The basic plot is Batman and Lt.Gordon decide to join forces with the new district attorney Harvey Dent in a bid to rid Gotham City of a vicious and psychopathic bank robber known only as 'The Joker'.This film certainly maintains the dark overtones of the original and for a movie of its kind this has a hell of a lot of storyline (which I will not spoil for anyone who hasn't yet seen it).This does,however lead to it having a running time of around two and a half hours.Due to this some may feel it drags a little in places ?,I personally did not.

The film looks amazing throughout with Gotham City again looking totally out of this world.The action sequences are the best I have seen in any Hollywood blockbuster this year and are placed very well within the storyline to make sure you never lose interest.The script kept me enthralled and there are some great lines to enjoy here too (again I won't spoil them) as well as one or two surprises along the way.

There are so many characters in this film and every member of The Dark Knight's cast delivered in my opinion.Christian Bale is very good again as the tortured soul that is Batman as are Michael Caine,Morgan Freeman and Gary Oldman (all of whom reprise their roles).However I feel a special mention is due to Aaron Eckhart's portrayal of Harvey Dent.For those who have never seen much of him before check out his brilliant performance in the very underrated 'Thank You For Smoking',he was great in that as he is here too.Which brings me onto sadly why this film has perhaps attracted the publicity it has ?,and that it is the performance in it of the late Heath Ledger.Prior to this I would not have ever said I was a fan of his work to be perfectly honest but here he totally blew me away.His portrayal of 'The Joker' (a totally twisted,messed up character if ever there was one) is truly mesmerizing.In a film with so many strong performances,so many amazing special effects and jaw dropping action sequences he simply steals every scene he is in.When he 'ramps up the crazy' he is genuinely unnerving,this is a masterclass performance in every sense of the word.I know there is a lot of talk about him getting an Oscar nomination for his performance here and to be honest I would be amazed if he didn't receive one.All I would say is if he does not receive a nomination I will be extremely interested to see the performances that beat him.

I have seen a fair few super hero films which for me fell well short of the mark (Superman Returns,Spider-Man 3,X-Men 3 spring to mind).Well here is one that not only does not disappoint,it actually improves on its already excellent predecessor.

Go and see it on the biggest screen you can find ! 10/10.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.