GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Hey Nintendo... Leave those 'Adult Games' Alone!"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 24/09/02 at 15:12
Regular
As you will very-well know, Games on Nintendo Consoles have always been branded as rather 'kiddy' and 'immature' in-comparisson with the so-called 'more adult' titles we've seen on PlayStations and X-Boxs of this world. That's the way it's always been, and it seems likely that's how it always will be.

In-order to make the most money, break all Sales Records and end-up ontop overall, you will indeed have to be able to sell your products (in this case, games and consoles) to every-single-person out-there who has even the slightest interest in playing Computer and Video Games. You won't come-out ontop if you sell to around only 40% of the market while one of your rivals grabs another 52% or something, leaving the real loser with just 8% of the market! Those percentages may be totally-rediculous, but it's just to give you the basic idea of how you need to dominate the market in-order to totally over-succeed your rivals.
The PS2 is currently ontop due to the incredibley-high numbers it has sold, and the large number of people it has been able to sell to world-wide.

For one reason or another, in recent years, Nintendo have always fallen-behind.
And the N64 was a prime-examples with this. As we already know, a lack of back-up besides Rare when it came to developers and some well-over-the-top prices per-game sent it to rock bottom as SONY's first lived-on and succeeded. Oh, and let us not forget about the N64 Advertisements - 'lack of it', rather.
Nintendo's 64-bit monster may have popped-up with a few that were loved by everyone (namely Perefct Dark and GoldenEye) but aside from that, the majority of non-Ninties and 'anti's alike saw it's games line-up as rather 'kiddy' and 'immature' once again.

Now by no-means do Nintendo want to see the same thing happen all-over-again, with the GameCube this time! That would be a nightmare for Miyamoto. Shigsy and co. may seem to be out-of-the-runnings again here, but second place is still available, while it's finnishing bottom that the MUST avoid at all-costs!
Thankfullly for us, Nintendo have gone-about all-this in the right kind-of manner. For a start, there are now a number of 'teamS' (not the plural there) developing games for the tiny Cube, even if Rareware have gone. It already has over twice as-many games in its Catalogue than the number the N64 had nearly 5 months into it's UK existence. And the Advertising Campaigns have improved too - i've actually seen some GameCube games advertised now! :O
But this is yet-another Nintendo console plagued (in a sense) but a surely un-healthy dose of so-called 'childish' games. And that's the way other fans will see it as they dismiss the GameCube as nothing more than a 'kiddies toy'.

But with the whole Resident Evil series coming to the GameCube along with Eternal Darkness, Eclipse from the guy who made Metal Gear Solid, and a lot-more than just More Mario and Luigi's Mansion, it looks as if Miyamoto and co. are begining to rid Nintendo's latest box-o'-magic of the 'For Ages 3-5 and Over' label.
But is this neccesarily a good thing??

By-all-means, having the likes of the whole Resi series and an all-new exclusive title in the GameCube's Catalogue can only be a great thing, and i've heard it with my own 2 ears that quite a few SONY Fans may one-day purchase a 'cheap' GameCube for the chance to play this series all-over-again, to experience all those significant changes that have made them even better! But they've also said that's all they'd play. They're far-too-happy with GTA and Gran Turismo to even bother trying a new Mario adventure or Zelda quest as it's not the type of game they like.
It may help Nintendo to sell GameCubes further, but these would be the ONLY games these gamers would buy. And that would be a bad thing as they'd be buying a Nintendo console for all the wrong reasons.

So what are the right reasons?
Well, i've always chosen Nintendo over SONY and co. and then SEGA second for all those innovatice and fun-to-play games and adventures starring Mario, Link and Kirby and co. that you can never tire-of easily within 2 weeks of purchase. But early tirement (as I like to call it) can be experienced quickly in games like GTA and GT, aswell as Tekken and many others - especially Crash Bandicoot.
And I know from experience that there are many others like me out-there who feel the same way.
The one real thing I fear about all these 'mature' addittions is that it could change Mr.Miyamoto's opinions and views regarding what games Nintendo consoles should be all about.

After all, you do need these games and more to come-out ontop.
But they can also attract the wrong-kind of attention from people buying GameCubes NOT for Shigsy hard work in Mario and Zelda like you should. But just for the 'updates'.

It is on this note that I leave you with my opinion on this matter.
I believe that Nintendo should keep their consoles 'pure' and 'true to their fans' in-order to find succes rather than trying to bring-in the 'outsiders' who can only caused trouble. We heard pre-UK Launch talk of new Mario and Zelda games arriving every 6 months.... that is something we as Nintendo fans would love! Why would we need Resident Evil and MGS?? GTA 3 may be of a different genre and origin, but it still comes nowhere near the quality within Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

Isn't this what we all want to see?
Why can't Nintendo just forget about those 'Pop Games' and work on the ones their REAL fans like??

Adults don't have time for gaming with Work! :P
Us kids only have School. :D
Thu 13/03/03 at 19:04
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Belldandy wrote:

> Still Mario Sunshine soon :)
>
> ~~Belldandy~~

Ah, the days of yore....

:D
Thu 13/03/03 at 18:47
Regular
I remember a while back me and some mates were at school talking about the final fantasy series and how it was coming to GC, one of them said "its a stupid game and i dont see why nintendo need it". I, in my opnion, find that narrow minded.

Final fantasy is a BIG game series, there are fans after fans of the game, and if they like the game so much and it appears on GC they might buy the gamecube. In turn meaning they then have a chance to buy games such as mario and zelda, meaning they will become bigger selling, then nintendo has more money and then the games get higher in the charts, meaning more people will think, "hang on, nintendo has the top 3 positions, now thats worth buying the console", and it starts all over again.

I know many mates saying theyd love to play zelda and mario games, but when they had a chance of a console they prefered games like MGS and GTA, once these games come to GC then they will buy it, they said "if GTA was on all formats id buy GC cause it also means i can then play Zelda and mario".

also the console price should go RIGHT down, i know nintendo would lose money if they put the GC down to £50, but i know id buy it if i didnt have one, and then that would help in future game sales, and people could actually connect with games like zelda and mario, because they have never owned a nintendo console before.

Meaning then in the future they will see GC2, or what ever, as the best option, and then nintendo can be number one again.
Thu 13/03/03 at 18:43
Regular
"aliens exist"
yawn
Thu 13/03/03 at 18:14
"Lamer-24:7"
Maverick42 wrote:
> Strafex wrote:
> Let people buy the Gamecube for the wrong reasons.
>
> Once they have the cube, they'll be more open to it's games, perhaps
> try one of those "kiddy" games after a review...
>
> Before you know it they've been hooked and reeled! :-)
>
> Wow - you managed to condense my whole reply into two tiny sentences!
*Raises board from dead*Heh heh
Wed 25/09/02 at 22:35
Regular
Strafex wrote:
> Let people buy the Gamecube for the wrong reasons.
>
> Once they have the cube, they'll be more open to it's games, perhaps
> try one of those "kiddy" games after a review...
>
> Before you know it they've been hooked and reeled! :-)

Wow - you managed to condense my whole reply into two tiny sentences!
Wed 25/09/02 at 11:55
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Elite Chaos wrote:
> "Hey, teachers... Leave them kids alone"
>
> What was that song called, brick in the wall or something?

Well spotted - that's where I got my title from. :)
Wed 25/09/02 at 11:52
Regular
"Long time no see!"
It'd be fantastic for Nintendo if it did work-out that way!
But sadly, I don't see it happening like that. :(

I know more than enough PS2 owners alone who critisise Nintendo and their so-called 'kiddy' games saying that they would want to buy a 'Schitty Cube' for kids games like Mario and Kirby that any 4 year-old could complete in days. I've tried telling them to give them a chance, but they just don't listen.

I think they'd have had to have been Nintendo fans from an early age (like us) to like them now. And if any of them were anything, they were all SEGA fans with MegaDrives, hating Nintendo.

The fact is that they're going to be buying GameCubes (IF they do...) for all the wrong reasons. And while Nintendo may be soaring-up towards the top at the time, it just won't be right as it's the other Companies like Capcom doing it all rather than Nintendo themselves.
Wed 25/09/02 at 11:48
Regular
"Long time no see!"
It'd be fantastic for Nintendo if it did work-out that way!
But sadly, I don't see it happening like that. :(

I know more than enough PS2
Wed 25/09/02 at 10:29
Regular
Let people buy the Gamecube for the wrong reasons.

Once they have the cube, they'll be more open to it's games, perhaps try one of those "kiddy" games after a review...

Before you know it they've been hooked and reeled! :-)
Tue 24/09/02 at 18:09
Regular
"Unretired"
"Hey, teachers... Leave them kids alone"

What was that song called, brick in the wall or something?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.