GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Rumour has it..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 08/11/05 at 19:46
"High polygon count"
...that Sony may be ditching regional coding of games on the PS3.

Good news indeed - if it's true.

[URL]http://www.computerandvideogames.com/news/news_story.php(que)id=128901[/URL]
Wed 09/11/05 at 18:54
Regular
"..."
Good point, which means that the rumor can never be true.
Wed 09/11/05 at 16:34
Regular
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> They know they're going to release games in the major European
> languages, so this should all be prepared parallel to the game's
> development, not tacked on later.

Most games, with any sense, use files with lists of sentences for text and the appropriate sound efects based on speech so that the game loads them in at runtime during development and not hard coded into the engine. So developers produce the game in their own language and then the final version is translated from that.

As most games delayed due to regionalisation are japanese, the game will be finalised in Japanese and only translated once the strings and audio samples are complete. Translating every single change made to the game's script during development would just be a logistical nightmare.

This could also efect American games coming to Europe as German might not necessarily be an American publisher's priority.

It should also be understood that the translations are generally handled by publishers and not by individual developers.
Wed 09/11/05 at 14:00
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
It can only be a good thing if it is true.
Wed 09/11/05 at 12:36
Regular
"..."
I hope you're right. I mean, if there is anyone to benefit from it, it's me. I'm stuck with european online video game stores, and 99.9% of them don't ship to Egypt. If region encoding stops existing, video games heaven will open it's doors for me !
Wed 09/11/05 at 12:22
"High polygon count"
I've never understood why language is an issue, to be honest.

They know they're going to release games in the major European languages, so this should all be prepared parallel to the game's development, not tacked on later. In "the old days", fair enough - but the games industry is big enough now that issues like this shouldn't cause delays.

Besides, with HDTV being a global standard, they should by rights be treating at least the UK/Australia the same as the US with regard to game releases. When we speak the same language, I don't see why we need to wait for Europe.
Wed 09/11/05 at 12:12
Regular
"..."
It's not going to be that easy.. According to that link, Sony are depending on the fact that HD TV's are going to be global, but what about the language problem ? This is why PS2 games were released much later in Europe, and even if Sony spent more funds to solve this problem in their own games, what about 3rd party companies ? This could cause financial losses for them, they want to keep both customers who are willing to import the games, and at the same time customers who are willing to buy the games only in their own language..
Wed 09/11/05 at 07:24
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
So i save a few quid on having to chip the thing, not that bothered really, i've been playing Japanese and American games months before you Euro monkeys get them for years now :-P
Tue 08/11/05 at 20:07
"period drama"
That would be excellent ... certainly something that should have happened ages ago.
Tue 08/11/05 at 20:02
Regular
"Mozzy"
Good news (if it's true) but I wont want to spend £400ish on something which wont have a valid warranty in the UK.

Especially a Sony product. :)
Tue 08/11/05 at 19:58
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Would be good. Would also hopefully get rid of games being released here months after the US and Japan get them.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.