GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Getaway costs well over £5 million !"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 13/09/02 at 15:59
Regular
Full details below, looks like pre Xmas release could be doubtful.....

thank god for copy and paste:

Sony has confirmed that its triple A crime-busting PS2 title has cost at least £5 million, easily making it the most expensive European game ever made.

"Sony today admitted that The Getaway, the jewel in the crown of its European PlayStation 2 development arm, has cost at least £5 million so far. While rumour suggests the actual figure is far higher - some estimates put it at well over £10 million - the official line still makes The Getaway far and away the most expensive game ever made in Europe.
Fresh rumours have also arisen of a new slip, with the potential to put the game past the all-important Christmas 2002 watershed.

The Getaway follows Mark Hammond, an ex-gangster attempting to clear his name for the murder of his wife and rescue his kidnapped child. The title has been the centre of controversy since its inception three years ago, especially when spiralling costs were met with the release of the monstrously successful Grand Theft Auto 3 last year; the games are both crime titles based on walking, shooting and driving.

So, it's pricey and it may still be late. Shocker. Watch this space for more on the title as we approach The Getaway's supposed November release date."
Wed 18/09/02 at 15:41
Regular
"A man with a stick"
~Res~ wrote:
> cipro wrote:
> Sorry for that, I didn't finish my post fully.
>
> i forgive you this time, but next time you won't get away with it so
> easily :)
>
> **strokes a stuffed cat in an errrie james bond vilian type way**

And what would my punishment be? Being forced to play daikatana? Now that's a fate worse than death ;)
Wed 18/09/02 at 11:34
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
I think confusion over the 100 million is caused by the Yen factor.

The development cost of Final Fantasy VIII was $15 million in US dollars, but a much larger figure in Yen (obviously).

Squaresoft are probably the worlds leading animation studio (ahead of Pixar that's for sure) and so they are going to be using a lot of cutting edge technology. Final Fantasy games are really massive projects... bigger than movies in Japan! Plus rememember they had one of the worlds biggest superstars on the soundtrack (Faye Wong... absolutely massive in the Far East) and I'm sure she won't have come cheap. In fact, the sound engineering aspect of the budget is probably equivalent to a Hollywood movie... hiring orchestras and sound studios and all that. And of course big name actors in Final Fantasy X.

I've no idea what the costs were for Final Fantasy X, but I'm sure budget-wise it will have eclipsed FF8.
Wed 18/09/02 at 11:24
Regular
"RIP Resurrection"
cipro wrote:
> Sorry for that, I didn't finish my post fully.

i forgive you this time, but next time you won't get away with it so easily :)

**strokes a stuffed cat in an errrie james bond vilian type way**
Wed 18/09/02 at 11:07
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Sorry for that, I didn't finish my post fully.
Wed 18/09/02 at 11:06
Regular
"A man with a stick"
~Res~ wrote:
> not all games that have loads of money spent on them are any good.
> there was a FPS on the PC i forget it's name but it took months to
> come out and had loads cash spent on it and when it came out it looked
> out of date and played really badly.

Daikatana it was called, I remember that game. It spent years in development, had a ton load of money spent on it and was developed by guy who helped make games like Doom and Quake. The press hyped it up as "the next Half-Life" and it certainly was looking that good.

Then it got released under everybody's noses unexpectedly one day, and straight to the bargain bin priced around £20. When the games press finally reviewed it, well it didn't get a mark over 50% that's for sure. An over-hyped, over priced bag of crap.

I pray the same thing won't happen to The Getaway, as it is looking like the next big thing on the PS2. Its certainly getting lots of praise by games journalist who have play tested it, so I remain optimistic. Still, I will wait for the games reviews before I decide to buy it, I did so when Daikatan came out, and that saved me £20.
Wed 18/09/02 at 11:06
Regular
"RIP Resurrection"
Daikatana that's the cack i was thinking of. when it was first shown it looked so good compared to quake 1.

then years later it was released without a word although i remember PC zone magazine having a demo on the mag and one of the best and funniest reviews ever LOL.
Wed 18/09/02 at 11:03
Regular
"A man with a stick"
~Res~ wrote:
> not all games that have loads of money spent on them are any good.
> there was a FPS on the PC i forget it's name but it took months to
> come out and had loads cash spent on it and when it came out it looked
> out of date and played really badly.

Daikatana it was called, I remeber that game. It spent years in devlopment, had a ton load of mopney spent on it and was devloped by guy who helped make games like Doom and Quake. The press htped it up as "the next Half-Life" and iy certainly was looking that good. Then it got released under everybody's noses unexpectadly one day, and straight to the bargin bin priced around £20. When t
Wed 18/09/02 at 10:54
Regular
"360: swfcman"
The Bouncer on PS2 comes to mind too. Had lots of money spent on it, lots of hype, lots of date slippages....and turned out to be utter crap.

Just hope the developers get this spot on.
Wed 18/09/02 at 10:52
Regular
"RIP Resurrection"
that is a good point they could just spent that buying eating at the ritz at lunchtime. unlikly but could happen.

not all games that have loads of money spent on them are any good. there was a FPS on the PC i forget it's name but it took months to come out and had loads cash spent on it and when it came out it looked out of date and played really badly.
Wed 18/09/02 at 10:44
Regular
"360: swfcman"
Just remember though, big money doesnt always mean thats it going to be a great game. For all we know half that money could have been spent on getting licenses for shops and signs ect if they are wanting to re-create London so much. No one is really sure how much money and effort has been put into the game play and so on.

I hope not, but theres still a chance this game is going to suffer from what films have gone and done and not spent there money wisely and come out with a film, and in this case a game, thats a flop.

Soon see.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.