GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Edge Magazine and Stuntman / Toca Race Driver"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 19/08/02 at 13:33
Regular
I see today Edge gave Stunman 5 out of 10, have they reveiewed Toca yet does anyone know ?
I know we have had topic's about Edge before but find it amazing that almost evey other magazine gives Stuntman 8 out of 10 yet Edge has to be different.
They gave Mario Sunshine 9 out of 10 by the way.

www.ps2racing.tk
Tue 20/08/02 at 22:33
Actually they gave GT3 8/10,which is considered 'excellent' by them but only gave GTA3 6/10 which is 'competent'. Are they mad?
Tue 20/08/02 at 14:55
Regular
"~SRS~humpo"
i seem to remember them giving GT3 Aspec a darn low score aswell 6or7/10
Mon 19/08/02 at 21:35
Regular
Have they reviewed Conflict Desert storm yet
Mon 19/08/02 at 17:16
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Edge game FFX 6/10 probably because you couldn't kill things by jumping on them nor could you collect stars. They seem to be unable to review games as games in their own right, they have to stand them up and compare them against other titles in the same series or other titles in the same genre.

My feeling on the Stuntman review score of 5/10 is that the reviewer was having so much trouble completing it he knocked off 3 points for the game's 'annoyance factor'. To be fair, the game CAN involve having to do the same tricky tasks repeatedly to progress, but knocking 3 points off for just that wouldn't be fair.

They also seem to knock off 1 point for the word Sony appearing on the box of any game, and add 1 point for the word Nintendo appearing on the box of others. So many people have pointed this out to them via the Edge forums and via snail mail, but they always deny it. The fact that so many people have noticed this trend reminds me of the phrase "There's no smoke without fire".

The overall impression I get is that the guys doing the reviews aren't gamers anymore, they're overworked hacks trying to convince themselves that the next big thing is just around the corner, and so they tend to mark everything down that they review until the next big thing gets released. And when the next big thing DOES get released, they don't recognise it as such, because they've forgotten what good games are all about.
Mon 19/08/02 at 17:10
"High polygon count"
Supposedly, Edge's review scale is very strict, meaning that where another mag's 5/10 would mean "poor", Edge's 5/10 means "average".

And if you look at Stuntman objectively, I suppose it is.

It's an extremely limited driving game. There's little or no margin for error, and you have to do everything almost perfectly to proceed. The game is 100% linear, meaning that everything MUST be done in exactly the same order EVERY SINGLE TIME.

If you look at it that way, I suppose it is very average - and for some, very disappointing.

But this is where I believe Edge's 'strict' review policy falls down.

Stuntman is unlike any other driving game, and can't really be compared to anything else. The very subject of the game forces it to be linear, and anyine with any interest in the game knows that to be the case.

Having played the demo, I think the game does what it needs to do, and performs very well in doing it. It gets frustrating, but practice makes perfect. I think that basically, because of the style of the game, you'll either love or hate it - there is no 'middle ground', and Edge's scoring system is not flexible enough to cater for such titles.

So for all their holier-than-thou attitude and pompous arrogance, they are just as flawed as any other mag.
Mon 19/08/02 at 14:08
Regular
"~SRS~humpo"
please take anything the edge magazine say with a pinch of salt.....they are so prejudiced when it comes to reveiwing PS2 titles its untrue
Mon 19/08/02 at 13:33
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
I see today Edge gave Stunman 5 out of 10, have they reveiewed Toca yet does anyone know ?
I know we have had topic's about Edge before but find it amazing that almost evey other magazine gives Stuntman 8 out of 10 yet Edge has to be different.
They gave Mario Sunshine 9 out of 10 by the way.

www.ps2racing.tk

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.