GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"(Game) Donkey Kong Country 2 [SNES & Virtual Console]"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Donkey Kong Country 2'.
Tue 20/05/08 at 22:58
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
When a game can bring my brother and I together without it resulting in an argument or brawl you know it has to be something special. Enter Donkey Kong Country 2. I have fond memories of the two of us as young kids teaming up and tackling the evil yet so satisfying level design found in the game and I was hoping after downloading the game on the Wii¡¦s Virtual Console that that magic still remained. Diddy¡¦s Kong Quest has always been one of my favourite games and after playing it through again I remembered why.

The Donkey Kong Country series had always been about very simple platforming through gorgeous stages and while some criticised Rare for that (Miyamoto) those who went with the flow and took the plunge uncovered one the toughest and most polished games to date. Taking control of Diddy and Dixie Kong it was your job to travel across an entire island searching for Donkey Kong who was kidnapped by a crocodile named King K. Rool. It was all textbook platforming with running and jumping your way from left to right but it was the style and little additions that made it feel so much more complete and unique.

Unlike the Mario titles there were no power-ups but you rather had to rely on your skill with the moves given to you. Diddy can jump, run and even cartwheel his enemies while Dixie uses her hair to attack and glide through the air. The two monkeys handle similar to each other but with small skill differences so you will need to get used to both their advantages and downfalls. When playing you control the lead monkey whilst the other who isn¡¦t in use simply follows. Get hit and Diddy (or Dixie depending on who you want to command) and he/she does a runner leaving you with the backseat monkey. Get hit again with no one in reserve and that¡¦s one life gone. The great thing about this system was that it was different to the usual health bar or single character gameplay seen in titles of the same genre. Not only that but it allowed two people to play together controlling one monkey each. This made teamwork vital for certain areas where Diddy or Dixie would thrive. A section where Dixie¡¦s hovering ability would be handy? Tag in your friend while you simply sit back and watch him or her do the work.

When not running you would be swimming in ice caverns or riding in carts along rickety rollercoaster tracks. You could ride Rambi the rhinoceros, or be blasted in barrels that relied on timing to get from one to another. All these combined created one memorable and varied experience. The locations you visit while feature your likely candidates (lava worlds and ice caverns) also become a little more adventurous taking you to a funfair, bee hive and eerie castles.

Linking between levels came courtesy of an overview map. Split into six (and later a seventh world) you would find around five or six actual levels in each amongst a save station, airport, quiz show and a final boss. While not the longest game to complete stages had that quality that meant you wanted to replay them which to me is far more important than a longer length. That¡¦s before even mentioning the task of locating every hidden bonus room and the ridiculously insanely well hidden DK coins.

The incredible thing about Donkey Kong Country 2 is the music. It sounds more natural and was light years ahead of anything on the Snes. There simple as! Oh and listen to Stickerbrush Symphony. Thank me later ļ

Everything about the game felt so defined and specific. The backgrounds for levels may have repeated occasionally but the colour palette changed. When you lost a life the ¡§lost life melody¡¨ would vary depending on what stage you¡¦re in. Even when you set the control down Diddy begins juggling while Dixie blows bubbles with chewing gum. Everything is so detailed and looking at games now it really does put them to shame.

Whether you see it as simple or not this game was amazing back in the day and still it remains one of the most accomplished and unforgettable titles I¡¦ve played.

Simply...

Amazing
Thu 22/05/08 at 21:15
Regular
"Thinking and typing"
I LOVE THIS GAME :)
Tue 20/05/08 at 22:58
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
When a game can bring my brother and I together without it resulting in an argument or brawl you know it has to be something special. Enter Donkey Kong Country 2. I have fond memories of the two of us as young kids teaming up and tackling the evil yet so satisfying level design found in the game and I was hoping after downloading the game on the Wii¡¦s Virtual Console that that magic still remained. Diddy¡¦s Kong Quest has always been one of my favourite games and after playing it through again I remembered why.

The Donkey Kong Country series had always been about very simple platforming through gorgeous stages and while some criticised Rare for that (Miyamoto) those who went with the flow and took the plunge uncovered one the toughest and most polished games to date. Taking control of Diddy and Dixie Kong it was your job to travel across an entire island searching for Donkey Kong who was kidnapped by a crocodile named King K. Rool. It was all textbook platforming with running and jumping your way from left to right but it was the style and little additions that made it feel so much more complete and unique.

Unlike the Mario titles there were no power-ups but you rather had to rely on your skill with the moves given to you. Diddy can jump, run and even cartwheel his enemies while Dixie uses her hair to attack and glide through the air. The two monkeys handle similar to each other but with small skill differences so you will need to get used to both their advantages and downfalls. When playing you control the lead monkey whilst the other who isn¡¦t in use simply follows. Get hit and Diddy (or Dixie depending on who you want to command) and he/she does a runner leaving you with the backseat monkey. Get hit again with no one in reserve and that¡¦s one life gone. The great thing about this system was that it was different to the usual health bar or single character gameplay seen in titles of the same genre. Not only that but it allowed two people to play together controlling one monkey each. This made teamwork vital for certain areas where Diddy or Dixie would thrive. A section where Dixie¡¦s hovering ability would be handy? Tag in your friend while you simply sit back and watch him or her do the work.

When not running you would be swimming in ice caverns or riding in carts along rickety rollercoaster tracks. You could ride Rambi the rhinoceros, or be blasted in barrels that relied on timing to get from one to another. All these combined created one memorable and varied experience. The locations you visit while feature your likely candidates (lava worlds and ice caverns) also become a little more adventurous taking you to a funfair, bee hive and eerie castles.

Linking between levels came courtesy of an overview map. Split into six (and later a seventh world) you would find around five or six actual levels in each amongst a save station, airport, quiz show and a final boss. While not the longest game to complete stages had that quality that meant you wanted to replay them which to me is far more important than a longer length. That¡¦s before even mentioning the task of locating every hidden bonus room and the ridiculously insanely well hidden DK coins.

The incredible thing about Donkey Kong Country 2 is the music. It sounds more natural and was light years ahead of anything on the Snes. There simple as! Oh and listen to Stickerbrush Symphony. Thank me later ļ

Everything about the game felt so defined and specific. The backgrounds for levels may have repeated occasionally but the colour palette changed. When you lost a life the ¡§lost life melody¡¨ would vary depending on what stage you¡¦re in. Even when you set the control down Diddy begins juggling while Dixie blows bubbles with chewing gum. Everything is so detailed and looking at games now it really does put them to shame.

Whether you see it as simple or not this game was amazing back in the day and still it remains one of the most accomplished and unforgettable titles I¡¦ve played.

Simply...

Amazing

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.