GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Test Drive Unlimited Demo on XB360"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Test Drive Unlimited'.
Sat 26/08/06 at 21:37
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
It got put up for download a couple of days back. I downloaded it, I played it, I disliked it but that was only after an hour.

It's a snazzy concept though, you start the game and you're on an island with about 1000 miles of free-roaming road available to you, and you can see all the other XBox 360 users at the same time on your map, and can locate them and drive over to them and flash your lights to challenge them to a race etc.

But in essence it's just a long-winded way of hooking up with friends, viewing their cars and their accessories and then taking part in totally unabsorbing races (where you can see their cars and accessories).

To me it was Need for Speed with a new front end menu system and worse gameplay. Maybe I'm biased because I'm waiting for Forza 2...
Sun 03/09/06 at 19:45
Regular
"\\"
Yep.
Mon 28/08/06 at 13:20
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
That sounds pretty excellent - think I'll have to add that to my list of 360 games to keep an eye on.

I quite like the gran turismo games but forza sounds heaps better - going to go try find some trailers or previews of it now. :0)

Thanks
Mon 28/08/06 at 12:18
Regular
AliBoy wrote:
> So what kind of game is Forza2 going to be like?
>
> Never played the first one

OMG! Where do I start!?

OK, ok, *calms down a bit*

I used to be a HUGE fan of Gran Turismo, thought it was the bees knees in terms of grabbing a car that you own in real life (VW Golf in my case rather than a Skyline GT) and bombing it around a track with accurate physics which saved a fortune in speeding tickets and bodyshop bills.

When Forza came along, it's the same thing except... you can add over 100 layers of decals to your car, recreating an exact replica of the Mona Lisa on the bonnet should you wish or turn a Dodge Viper into a pretty good likeness of Herbie.

You can scrape against a barrier on a tough right hander and wipe off Mona Lisa's smile, it'll still be wiped off on the replay. You can also lose a wing-mirror, crumple a door, shatter windscreens, lose that all important rear-spoiler, and adjust the difficulty so that the AI is either Gran Turismo-esque (parade laps instead of races) or Forza Online-esque (you might as well paint an 'I Wub Saddam' bumper sticker on your tail for all the leeway the AI will give you on high difficulty).

It allows you to swap out the old engine and whack in a new one from the same range (e.g. Honda cars offer you VTEC, 1600, 1800i etc versions, all with different weights and power outputs, all of which allow you to set up different tuning part configurations).

It allows you to tweak everything to shave more 100ths of a second off your laptime; camber, toe-in/out, tyre-pressure, suspension stiffness/height, downforce, weight reductions, cages, brake ratios, it's all there.

But the most outstanding difference (there are many others like voice chat, car classes, point to point, time trials, hot laps) is that every time you complete a race, you instantly know how you compare to every other owner of Forza because it ranks your performance against your friends, against people who did the race in the same class of car, and against everybody in the world, because it displays the results on the screen straight after the race ends.
Sun 27/08/06 at 16:49
Regular
"8==="
A good game to chillout to. I'm not all that fussed about racers but when it's about 20 quid I intend to get it.
Sun 27/08/06 at 16:35
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
So what kind of game is Forza2 going to be like?

Never played the first one, is it a gran Turismo style racer where you can play around with car settings or is it more like PGR3 and the need for speed games?
Sun 27/08/06 at 15:33
Regular
"The definitive tag"
I wasn't particularly impressed with it. I'm quite disappointed to be honest because I liked the idea of it.
Sat 26/08/06 at 23:12
"possibly impossible"
They're still thinking too small.

You should be able to get out of cars, go in houses and hook up with mates to play poker. Or go in to the garden and play viva pinata...

...basically it should be a cool front end to getting in to multi-player games, not a one-game thing.

and yes, I know you couldn't do that at the moment unless it was for one publisher and all their games were on the hard drive etc. Just wishfull thinking...
Sat 26/08/06 at 22:28
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Nah your not wrong there, I felt the same.

The idea seems alright, but the levels and car controls just feel poor to be honest. Like the idea of cars and bikes and being able to drive around and pick races but I'd rather a more realistic and better realism to the game first.
Sat 26/08/06 at 21:37
Regular
It got put up for download a couple of days back. I downloaded it, I played it, I disliked it but that was only after an hour.

It's a snazzy concept though, you start the game and you're on an island with about 1000 miles of free-roaming road available to you, and you can see all the other XBox 360 users at the same time on your map, and can locate them and drive over to them and flash your lights to challenge them to a race etc.

But in essence it's just a long-winded way of hooking up with friends, viewing their cars and their accessories and then taking part in totally unabsorbing races (where you can see their cars and accessories).

To me it was Need for Speed with a new front end menu system and worse gameplay. Maybe I'm biased because I'm waiting for Forza 2...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.