GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Website Bandwidth - How Much, how to check?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 11/03/08 at 05:14
Regular
Apologies if I am missing anything obvious here, but is there a cap on how much bandwidth a website can use in a month? I'm sure I saw somewhere on Freeolas site that it was 10gb, but can't seem to find the info again.

And, what happens if this cap is hit? Does the site go offline until usage is reset, are there excess charges so it can be kept online etc?

Finally, is there any easy way of checking how much bandwidth a site is using?

Thanks in advance for yer help again guys :)
Sun 16/03/08 at 11:02
"Are you sure?"
glidem wrote:
> loki wrote:
> Sorry Hmmm...
>
> I'm afraid we are not able to give out any information about
> customers' sites publically.
>
> If it helps Hmmmm get an answer, I am happy for you to release
> how many page views yamahapkowner.com received :)

Thanks for that offer glidem :¬)
Hopefully Freeola will be able to post some sample figures for your site which is always well placed in the 'Hottest Sites' list.

Search Freeola Chat
Sat 15/03/08 at 22:36
Regular
"jameswoodcock.co.uk"
loki wrote:
> Sorry Hmmm...
>

If it helps Hmmmm get an answer, I am happy for you to release how many page views yamahapkowner.com received :)
Sat 15/03/08 at 07:42
Regular
Heh, the only time I think we managed 800+ hits in a day was when someone linked one of our movie reviews up on rlslog.

Site = www.d3rang3d.com

Google wise, I guess we have some fairly niche search terms like "day of the dead 2008 review" which shows us rank 1 out of 4.7 million.

Guess it's kinda hard for a small horror movies site to feature high in the google rankings for a lot of things when the bigger sites have covered nearly all the new releases quite a time ahead of us and have covered most of the older/classic titles long ago. Still, I figure we are just getting established really, and aren't doing too badly considering the number of staff actively working on the site has nosedived.
Fri 14/03/08 at 11:03
"Are you sure?"
It looks like it's only me that interested in this :¬)

I had a nice chat (via email) with the owner of the current top site in Freeola's 'hottest list': www.prestatynweather.co.uk so I've now got a better idea of how busy a site needs to be to get in the Freeola charts.

His site has had a surge in interest this week due to there being so much weather around at the start of the week! His visitors trebled - so the rough weather was good for someone.
But the site is often in the top 10 under normal weather conditions.

Another one of the busiest sites is the 'Manchester United' one. Looking at it closer shows that they allow you to view the sites visitor statistics - which shows around 800 page views a day. That's the info I wanted and ties in with the traffic the Prestatyn Weather sites gets.

Must get back to adding content for my site!
I'm currently 3rd in Google for adsl snr and the second site out of 5.8 million results on MS for find longitude latitude

If you've got a Freeola website feel free to share your story...
Search Freeola Chat
Tue 11/03/08 at 17:10
"Are you sure?"
Sinnocent wrote:
> My 3-5k is based on page views logged by statcounter - so it's
> probably a bit higher than that as anyone running a script
> blocker like firefox+noscript won't be registered.

That sounds pretty respectful then :¬)
Tue 11/03/08 at 17:05
Regular
My 3-5k is based on page views logged by statcounter - so it's probably a bit higher than that as anyone running a script blocker like firefox+noscript won't be registered.
Tue 11/03/08 at 16:58
"Are you sure?"
loki wrote:
> Sorry Hmmm...

No problem, I understand(expect) that, are you just able to give an average number of page views for sites in your hottest list?

It's a shame some/more of the owners don't visit these forums...

Search Freeola Chat
Tue 11/03/08 at 16:55
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
Hmmm... wrote:
> Thanks for that loki,
> Can you say what the range of 'page views' is for the top and
> bottom site in your 'hottest list' so I can see how far off I
> am?
>
Sorry Hmmm...

I'm afraid we are not able to give out any information about customers' sites publically.
Tue 11/03/08 at 15:11
"Are you sure?"
Hi Sinnocent,
3-5k hits sounds pretty good to me.
But this does depend of what a 'hit' is!

Some visitor statistics applications define 'hits' by counting every file requested from the server - images, scripts, etc.
So if you have a page made up of 200 images and files then that one page view can register 200 'hits'!

I've previously spoken to a site owner in Freeola's top ten hottest sites - he believes he was getting around 12k hits per day - but when I asked him what constitutes a 'hit' he couldn't say - this is where the confusion comes; but it certainly sounds like a very busy site!

That's why I always use/quote 'page views' - even this can get complicated splitting humans from 'bots/spiders'.

Search Freeola Chat
Tue 11/03/08 at 14:40
Regular
Thanks for the quick answer :) - guess I have no need to keep an eye on bandwidth then anyways.

Hitwise my site is likely a long way off of making the top list - monthly hits average out to 3-5k at the moment. Still, early days, we'll get there :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.