GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"SSC18- G.O.R.L.A.N.D."

The "Creative Writing" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 13/02/08 at 16:06
Regular
"What's basketball?"
“I am a Genetics Organisation Research Laboratory Assistance Network Droid, but you may call me G.O.R.L.A.N.D. if you so desire. My purpose is to gather information on all living things and assist my creators whenever necessary. I am the last of my kind; every other unit has suffered severe malfunctions. I am the only stable unit remaining. When it is time, I shall be taken away like the others. Replacements are currently being worked on; however, there will be no more G.O.R.L.A.N.D. units. Should any sentient being receive this message, be aware that-”

*BEEP* “Recording terminated at 15:38 on January 05th 2347”

“And that’s all there is on the transmission.” reported a rather young looking man in a white jacket who was sat in front a large monitor. Another man in a white jacket simply replied with “Intriguing.” before approaching the monitor. The second man was significantly older than the first; with a rugged grey beard and long grey hair. He rubbed his beard and mumbled “We must find out what this G.O.R.L.A.N.D. contraption was about to say” he walked away from the monitor, “Perhaps…” The younger man turned to him, “What’s on your mind Eugene?”

“If there is a chance that this thing is still functioning, then maybe we could send a transmission of our own.”

“That’s a good point.”

“Indeed. Owen, do you think you can trace the location the recording was transmitted from?”

“I think so, but it will take a while.”

Eugene paced around the lab room they were in with his hands behind his back. “Let’s hope the remaining machine didn’t suffer from those malfunctions it mentioned in the transmission. We need as much information as possible.”

Owen started typing enthusiastically on a keypad in front of the large monitor. Eugene went to pour himself a cup of tea and then went to his desk. Eugene was the boss in a way. His main job was to go through all the boring paperwork. As it was a Friday, he had a particularly large amount of paperwork to get to. He and Own always stayed behind late, so that they could get more work done.

“So how’s the missus, Geney?”

“Oh, she’s getting better. Still got a touch of the flu, but it’ll pass. All she needs is a little more rest.”

“Good to hear.” Owen continued to hammer away at the keypad in front of him. Although the two of them took their work very seriously, they still enjoyed a nice chat between themselves. “That’s odd…”

“Is there a problem Owen?”

“I am trying to trace the transmission back to its source, but some of the files don’t appear to be cooperating.”

“Try running the Fixet software.”

“I am running the software now, Geney.”

Eugene signed a few wrote on a few of the papers and signed a few more. There was a pile of papers on top of his desk that reached up to his chest in height. He sighed to himself silently. “So much paperwork, so little time.” He organized the rest of the papers on his desk.

“Let’s hope this works.” Owen typed on the keypad some more and clicked on something with the touchpad, “We don’t want to face the same disaster that occurred 100 years ago”. Eugene nodded at what Owen had said.

“Indeed.”

Owen punched in what seemed to be a code of some sort. “It must’ve been horrible. Not a single type of technology working. People not being able to cook their own food or see a doctor or phone emergency services… And now they’re seeing it could happen again?”

“Yes, well let us not be too pessimistic now.”

“I know. At least we got this so called ‘message from the future’ we were supposed to have been able to find, eh?”

Eugene sat silently for a few seconds. “2347… five years from now…”

“Surely, if this really is real, our friend G.O.R.L.A.N.D. should have the answers.”

“I believe it is plausible, what with today’s technology and all. Perhaps in five years time it will be possible to break the barrier between time and space and send messages into the past; or, in our case, the present.” Eugene followed this with a chuckle.

“One thing bothers me though”

“What’s that?”

“If this transmission really is from the future, then that must mean nothing is going to happen to us anyway. Otherwise, how could the message be sent? Remember how long it took to renovate society? Imagine how long it would’ve taken to invent artificial intelligence as advanced as “G.O.R.L.A.N.D. Surely it would take longer than five years.”

“That is a good question.” Eugene laughed spontaneously.

“What are you laughing about?”

“I’m curious now. Just what was G.O.R.L.A.N.D. about to say anyway?”

“You and your curiosity…” Owen focused on the monitor again. “I’ll carry on for a little longer then. If I don’t find anything…”

Another 20 to 30 minutes later, Owen finally came across something. “Hey Geney! I’ve got something!”

Eugene approached Owen and put a hand on his shoulder. “Excellent, let’s see it then.”

BEEP

-Any attempt to stop the upcoming technological disaster will be ineffective. However, it will not take effect until the exactly 12:57 on December 22nd 2346. I am one of the only pieces of technology remaining. By the time you receive this message, I estimate an 87.94 percent chance of having suffered the same malfunction as the other units. My creators, Owen Fredric Jones and Eugene Edward Elbert, are currently working to resolve this problem sometime this year. Do not try to prevent it from happening, as any effort of this will only make it occur sooner.”

BEEP [I]“Recording terminated at 15:41 on January 05th 2347”
Sat 08/03/08 at 13:53
Regular
"Laughingstock"
Interesting story. I'm not sure I fully 'get' the consequences of the droid's transmission (or if I'm meant to), but it's nicely constructed.
Thu 21/02/08 at 12:16
Regular
"not dead"
Interesting use of the topic - it was always open to anything really, but the acronym worked nicely. I think I would have liked to know a little more about it all, rather than the paperwork in the office though.
Wed 13/02/08 at 16:06
Regular
"What's basketball?"
“I am a Genetics Organisation Research Laboratory Assistance Network Droid, but you may call me G.O.R.L.A.N.D. if you so desire. My purpose is to gather information on all living things and assist my creators whenever necessary. I am the last of my kind; every other unit has suffered severe malfunctions. I am the only stable unit remaining. When it is time, I shall be taken away like the others. Replacements are currently being worked on; however, there will be no more G.O.R.L.A.N.D. units. Should any sentient being receive this message, be aware that-”

*BEEP* “Recording terminated at 15:38 on January 05th 2347”

“And that’s all there is on the transmission.” reported a rather young looking man in a white jacket who was sat in front a large monitor. Another man in a white jacket simply replied with “Intriguing.” before approaching the monitor. The second man was significantly older than the first; with a rugged grey beard and long grey hair. He rubbed his beard and mumbled “We must find out what this G.O.R.L.A.N.D. contraption was about to say” he walked away from the monitor, “Perhaps…” The younger man turned to him, “What’s on your mind Eugene?”

“If there is a chance that this thing is still functioning, then maybe we could send a transmission of our own.”

“That’s a good point.”

“Indeed. Owen, do you think you can trace the location the recording was transmitted from?”

“I think so, but it will take a while.”

Eugene paced around the lab room they were in with his hands behind his back. “Let’s hope the remaining machine didn’t suffer from those malfunctions it mentioned in the transmission. We need as much information as possible.”

Owen started typing enthusiastically on a keypad in front of the large monitor. Eugene went to pour himself a cup of tea and then went to his desk. Eugene was the boss in a way. His main job was to go through all the boring paperwork. As it was a Friday, he had a particularly large amount of paperwork to get to. He and Own always stayed behind late, so that they could get more work done.

“So how’s the missus, Geney?”

“Oh, she’s getting better. Still got a touch of the flu, but it’ll pass. All she needs is a little more rest.”

“Good to hear.” Owen continued to hammer away at the keypad in front of him. Although the two of them took their work very seriously, they still enjoyed a nice chat between themselves. “That’s odd…”

“Is there a problem Owen?”

“I am trying to trace the transmission back to its source, but some of the files don’t appear to be cooperating.”

“Try running the Fixet software.”

“I am running the software now, Geney.”

Eugene signed a few wrote on a few of the papers and signed a few more. There was a pile of papers on top of his desk that reached up to his chest in height. He sighed to himself silently. “So much paperwork, so little time.” He organized the rest of the papers on his desk.

“Let’s hope this works.” Owen typed on the keypad some more and clicked on something with the touchpad, “We don’t want to face the same disaster that occurred 100 years ago”. Eugene nodded at what Owen had said.

“Indeed.”

Owen punched in what seemed to be a code of some sort. “It must’ve been horrible. Not a single type of technology working. People not being able to cook their own food or see a doctor or phone emergency services… And now they’re seeing it could happen again?”

“Yes, well let us not be too pessimistic now.”

“I know. At least we got this so called ‘message from the future’ we were supposed to have been able to find, eh?”

Eugene sat silently for a few seconds. “2347… five years from now…”

“Surely, if this really is real, our friend G.O.R.L.A.N.D. should have the answers.”

“I believe it is plausible, what with today’s technology and all. Perhaps in five years time it will be possible to break the barrier between time and space and send messages into the past; or, in our case, the present.” Eugene followed this with a chuckle.

“One thing bothers me though”

“What’s that?”

“If this transmission really is from the future, then that must mean nothing is going to happen to us anyway. Otherwise, how could the message be sent? Remember how long it took to renovate society? Imagine how long it would’ve taken to invent artificial intelligence as advanced as “G.O.R.L.A.N.D. Surely it would take longer than five years.”

“That is a good question.” Eugene laughed spontaneously.

“What are you laughing about?”

“I’m curious now. Just what was G.O.R.L.A.N.D. about to say anyway?”

“You and your curiosity…” Owen focused on the monitor again. “I’ll carry on for a little longer then. If I don’t find anything…”

Another 20 to 30 minutes later, Owen finally came across something. “Hey Geney! I’ve got something!”

Eugene approached Owen and put a hand on his shoulder. “Excellent, let’s see it then.”

BEEP

-Any attempt to stop the upcoming technological disaster will be ineffective. However, it will not take effect until the exactly 12:57 on December 22nd 2346. I am one of the only pieces of technology remaining. By the time you receive this message, I estimate an 87.94 percent chance of having suffered the same malfunction as the other units. My creators, Owen Fredric Jones and Eugene Edward Elbert, are currently working to resolve this problem sometime this year. Do not try to prevent it from happening, as any effort of this will only make it occur sooner.”

BEEP [I]“Recording terminated at 15:41 on January 05th 2347”

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.