GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Microsoft wants to purchase Yahoo"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 01/02/08 at 13:11
Regular
BBC News

I had no idea Yahoo were losing so much money. I gave up using Yahoo back in the 90ies.
Sat 02/02/08 at 12:05
"Was the man of marz"
Garin wrote:
> Altavista is owned and powered by Yahoo.

Are you purposely stating the obvious here?

> Even if this goes ahead, in the short/medium term you wouldnt
> expect it to mean an awful lot. Yahoo has a significant market
> share, 4-5 times that of Microsoft in the search engine world,
> and its also a very strong brand name. Simply you dont buy a
> company like Yahoo to chop it up and steal its tech and point
> all their sites back to microsoft alternatives.

That's not the plan (according to news reports). By buying yahoo with cash and shares, microsoft hope to take on google. I think a hybrid search would work well anyway. It's more about microsofts ethos though, as they're not innovative, they just come along late with slick branding.
Sat 02/02/08 at 01:47
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Altavista is owned and powered by Yahoo.

Even if this goes ahead, in the short/medium term you wouldnt expect it to mean an awful lot. Yahoo has a significant market share, 4-5 times that of Microsoft in the search engine world, and its also a very strong brand name. Simply you dont buy a company like Yahoo to chop it up and steal its tech and point all their sites back to microsoft alternatives.
Fri 01/02/08 at 22:55
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Noooooooooo! What is to become of Yahoo Widget Engine?
Fri 01/02/08 at 17:02
"Was the man of marz"
pb wrote:
> Shame, Yahoo searches tend to provide less crap than google

Google's interface offends me daily, but some people only submit to it. Personally I prefer altavista. You do indeed get less rubbish with yahoo (although there is the above snag), it doesn't remove your search entry when you move from web to image search, and it doesn't block and/or remove results either. I bet yahoo wish they would have taken them over when they had the chance.
Fri 01/02/08 at 14:47
"Are you sure?"
Around 10 years ago I met Jerry Yang (well we were in the same room!) he was on a tour of a company I used to work for.

Those were the days when Yahoo! could do no wrong...
BBC 1998 [URL]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/107667.stm[/URL]

Search Freeola Chat
Fri 01/02/08 at 14:12
"possibly impossible"
Shame, Yahoo searches tend to provide less crap than google and their mail is excellent. If MS muck up their mail service I'll cry.
Fri 01/02/08 at 13:11
Regular
BBC News

I had no idea Yahoo were losing so much money. I gave up using Yahoo back in the 90ies.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.