GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Change to Freeola's domain discounts - Auto Renew etc."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 07/01/19 at 17:30
"Are you sure?"
Hi Freeola,
I'm just getting my head around your changes that start next week.

"Bad News, Good News. Modernisation, you could say.
The bad news is, the Domain Portfolio Discount is ending shortly (on Jan 14th), and last-minute, paper domain renewal reminders by post are being phased out. The good news is, our domain renewal prices are going down by up to 20%.
Even better, we are ALSO giving ANOTHER 20% OFF to customers who elect to auto-renew and provide a mobile number for essential text notifications. So everybody can get a great deal, not just those with lots of domains.
Set a mobile contact number for your domain to get 10% discount. And turn on auto-renewal for another 10%.
The new discount structure will apply to domain renewals from 14th January 2019.
"

I'm hoping this won't be too painful :¬)
I have a lot of domains with you as you know and am a happy long term customer. I was happy with my 40% discount.
Depending on the "up to 20%" mention above I'm hoping if I use auto renewal along with mobile number I won't be out of pocket.

I've just seen in MyFreeola there's a mention of "You can set the auto-renewal time period for each domain."
This was one of my worries as I don't like leaving things to the last minute. Can you explain the options available as I haven't turned this on yet - I'm still maxing out my credit card using my current 40%!
Is there an option to use auto renew but force a renew 'Renew Now' or does a date have to be set?

Surely for those of us that like to stay loyal to Freeola there should still be an incentive if we have lots of domains registered with you? Seems a bit strange that a customer that only has one domain gets the same deal as someone with a few hundred. Feel free to contact me 'offline' if we need to chat about this!

No doubt I'll have more queries after next week :¬)

Thanks,
Hmmm...
Sat 12/01/19 at 00:37
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"

Hmmm... wrote:
Thanks Tony, sounds good.

Blimey that dodgy ukgov URL looks super *phishy* to me - so perhaps best to let it go ;¬)

Hmmm...

That was in the early days of course, so we didn't have any phishing then. Ah yes, UKgames.com was the first site to sell games on the internet in the UK. That would be around 1998.

Wayback Link

Free Giant Inflatable Armchair Link

Actually I think reserve.co.uk came before that in about 1995, running from a translucent plastic iMac

Post edited by Tony on 12/01/2019 at 00:53.
Thu 10/01/19 at 17:48
"Are you sure?"
Thanks Tony, sounds good.

Blimey that dodgy ukgov URL looks super *phishy* to me - so perhaps best to let it go ;¬)

Hmmm...
Thu 10/01/19 at 17:43
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"

Hmmm... wrote:
Hi Tony,
Thanks for that.

I was reading "You can set the auto-renewal time period for each domain." wrong, but see it relates to the "Period To Renew" field now.

Where you say "In general an auto renewal will trigger a renewal between two and four weeks prior to the expiry date." this seems a large variation? If it's done automatically won't the system always use the same time period - perhaps just adjusting for non-business days?

I'll need to monitor renewals, I'm sure the system will be robust but it would be a pain for a domain not to renew.
I've never missed a required manual renewal yet over many years and many domains!
So being able to have auto-renewal on but also the option to click RENEW NOW to save monitoring things would suit me.

Hmmm...

You make very good points as usual.

The fluctuation in the time period are created by different payment methods and the cycle of direct debits.

I know what you mean about losing domains. I once registered the domain UKgovernment.com and gave it as a present to my business partner, but sadly it was overlooked somehow on renewal. In answer to your question you will be able to renew when you want to renew and as long as the auto-renew is set to on then you will still get the discount.
Thu 10/01/19 at 17:32
"Are you sure?"
Thanks Eccles, that all makes sense.

"You can choose to manually renew at any time except when an auto-renewal is in process."

Pleased to hear that - BUT I'm assuming if auto-renew + mobile etc. is all in place then the full discount is still included?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but things aren't totally clear to me - I'm sure it will all make sense once it's in operation but I'm just trying to avoid any surprises.

Hmmm...

Post edited by Hmmm... on 10/01/2019 at 17:32.
Thu 10/01/19 at 17:15
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Hi Hmmm...

It is the auto-renewal payment method that determines how near the expiry date the renewal is done. For card and PayPal payments the domain is able to be renewed closer to the renewal date as we can charge and get confirmation of payment almost instantly and so can process the renewal straight after. With a Direct Debit payment method the process is longer. We have to give 10 days notification to the payee and then it takes a few more days before we receive the payment, at which point we can then process the renewal, so could be 3 weeks before expiry. This is to allow for payment issues and customer will still have time to pay manually to renew it if the auto renewal payment fails. You can choose to manually renew at any time except when an auto-renewal is in process.
Thu 10/01/19 at 10:56
"Are you sure?"
Hi Tony,
Thanks for that.

I was reading "You can set the auto-renewal time period for each domain." wrong, but see it relates to the "Period To Renew" field now.

Where you say "In general an auto renewal will trigger a renewal between two and four weeks prior to the expiry date." this seems a large variation? If it's done automatically won't the system always use the same time period - perhaps just adjusting for non-business days?

I'll need to monitor renewals, I'm sure the system will be robust but it would be a pain for a domain not to renew.
I've never missed a required manual renewal yet over many years and many domains!
So being able to have auto-renewal on but also the option to click RENEW NOW to save monitoring things would suit me.

Hmmm...
Tue 08/01/19 at 15:14
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
I should clarify that USA derived domains were overdue a price increase anyway, in relation to the current exchange rate.

So should you grab your .com renewals now - or should you wait for Sterling to recover against the US Dollar? I dunno.
Tue 08/01/19 at 14:56
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
[quote]
Hmmm... wrote:
Hi Freeola,

Hi Hmmm

Overall, Freeola puts back in everything possible to support our services and keep our standards high and our prices low, and it is rare for us to raise prices. At this stage we feel we must progress to auto-renewal and we must offer an incentive to do so. The weakened dollar exchange rate is also putting pressure on domain prices and you will see the USA derived domains fluctuating in price for both registration and renewal as we track the exchange rate in future. A smooth Brexit will help considerably. Our new renewal prices will not leave any scope for volume discounts.

You are right in assuming that most of our customers will benefit from the changes but those of you on the old maximum 40% portfolio discount will be charged more, perhaps on average by around 7%. If the exchange rate corrects itself then that might compensate on the USA derived domains. We are also expecting most people to renew for only one year at time instead of the historical tendency to renew for two to five years.

I think the timing option you refer to might be the choice of number of renewal years, rather than the date at which renewal is made. In general an auto renewal will trigger a renewal between two and four weeks prior to the expiry date.

I hope that answers your question. Please recognise that like all companies in the UK we are subject to ongoing cost increases.

Regards

Tony
Mon 07/01/19 at 17:30
"Are you sure?"
Hi Freeola,

"Bad News, Good News. Modernisation, you could say.
The bad news is, the Domain Portfolio Discount is ending shortly (on Jan 14th), and last-minute, paper domain renewal reminders by post are being phased out. The good news is, our domain renewal prices are going down by up to 20%.
Even better, we are ALSO giving ANOTHER 20% OFF to customers who elect to auto-renew and provide a mobile number for essential text notifications. So everybody can get a great deal, not just those with lots of domains.
Set a mobile contact number for your domain to get 10% discount. And turn on auto-renewal for another 10%.
The new discount structure will apply to domain renewals from 14th January 2019.
"

I'm hoping this won't be too painful :¬)
I have a lot of domains with you as you know and am a happy long term customer. I was happy with my 40% discount.
Depending on the "up to 20%" mention above I'm hoping if I use auto renewal along with mobile number I won't be out of pocket.

I've just seen in MyFreeola there's a mention of "You can set the auto-renewal time period for each domain."
This was one of my worries as I don't like leaving things to the last minute. Can you explain the options available as I haven't turned this on yet - I'm still maxing out my credit card using my current 40%!
Is there an option to use auto renew but force a renew 'Renew Now' or does a date have to be set?

Surely for those of us that like to stay loyal to Freeola there should still be an incentive if we have lots of domains registered with you? Seems a bit strange that a customer that only has one domain gets the same deal as someone with a few hundred. Feel free to contact me 'offline' if we need to chat about this!

No doubt I'll have more queries after next week :¬)

Thanks,
Hmmm...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.