GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] Mortal Kombat X"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 12/05/15 at 23:30
Regular
With PS4 and Xbox One copies of Mortal Kombat X retailing at £40, should you consider the PC version at £20? Here's my experienc e of NetherRealm Studios latest version of the iconic and gory fighting series.

Before buying the game I decided to get my ps3 controller to work on my PC, as I decided I wouldn't enjoy it as much when using a keyboard & mouse. I usually stubbornly persevere with a keyboard & mouse regardless of the game, but this time I didn't even try to use it. As I only ever use the d-pad on my controller I'd assume it is playable with a keyboard & mouse but I have no idea.

Being a fighting game I expected the campaign to have almost no story with cut scenes being just a few seconds to feebly give context to a fight before moving on to the next. I was surprised to find that the campaign, unlike The Order 1866, had a full story that has closure with the main enemy being overcome in the end. It won't win any awards, but I laughed at a few one liners and enjoyed quite a few of the fighting action set pieces and was fairly impressed with it overall. I'm not sure what a normal time of completion is, but my steam hours played was about 6-7 hours when I had finished.

In Asura's Wrath QTE's wouldn't change a thing except an arbitrary score whereas in Mortal Kombat X you have different animations for success and failure. They don't affect the overall storyline in anyway, but they certainly put some effort into creating alternate animations. There are a couple of interesting failure scenes, but there is one QTE failure section which makes no sense as the positive outcomes occur without any punch or kick impact which is a bit weird to watch.

After finishing the Campaign I decided to have a go at some of the towers and I decided to have a go at a "Test Your Might" tower. I was initially confused as the UI had the four controller buttons flashing in the bottom left corner, so I decided to mash all four buttons simultaneously. This didn't bring much success and after many failures I decided to look online for help. The solution that worked was to rub a pen rapidly back and forth across all four controller buttons. I suppose a finger would have worked just as well, but this mode made me feel a little silly for playing it. I believe this mode was in previous mortal kombat games so I assume it's there for nostalgia.

When I entered into ranked play I got beaten many times in a row. Then matchmaking put me against someone who had yet to play a ranked match. I won the first round, then my opponent won the next and I won the final round with a sliver of hp left. I couldn't help but cackle with glee as I performed my fatality. I really savoured my first online win!.... I'm not sad or anything...

I've noticed, as of 11th May, there are moments in online play where things slow down to a crawl. It doesn't happen every fight; it's not consistent enough to be too bothered about it . Luckily it seems to affect both players equally so there isn't an unfair advantage to be gained from it. My PC exceeds the recommended requirements, but my internet connection is pretty poor so whether my connection bottlenecks me and my opponent or whether it is an issue with the game isn't 100% certain to me. I'm not sure whether this is an issue exclusive to PC either.

King of the Hill is my favourite online mode which is pretty much "winner stays on" mode. There's usually one person who is so much better than most players who ends up accumulating a big winning streak and you watch as one person after another tries to de-throne them as king. Of course I prefer to fight to try and beat the king, but I enjoy rooting for underdogs and skilled alike as a spectator as well. That is also the downside of King of the Hill, you'll be watching the king fighting other players a lot more than you would playing the game yourself unless you are good enough to be crowned. However, If you don't want to watch the fights you can practice to pass the time until you fight again.

I bought Mortal Kombat X for online play against other players and I wasn't disappointed. There are always cheap noobs, like me, who spam the same moves and the fun is in being able to predict and counter your opponent. It's a game of judgement & prediction; there wouldn't be kings with massive winning streaks if it were that easy. Even with the odd occasion of online slowdown, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Mortal Kombat X on the PC for some online fighting fun.

Sat 16/05/15 at 10:20
"possibly impossible"
Davidm4 wrote:
Thanks Pb

I actually bought a key off ebay and I was worried whether the key was legitimate and whether the game would be removed from my steam account or worse, but it seems fine. I didn't trust cd keys either, but maybe now I should give them a shot in future

CdKeys are great. I've only once had an issue with the 5% code not going through (you can use it every time, just like their facebook page each time and put your email in) and their customer service refunded the money within a few hours. All codes work and I get my xbox, PSN and Steam credit from them, too. The games are really cheap.
Fri 15/05/15 at 22:20
Regular
Thanks Pb

I actually bought a key off ebay and I was worried whether the key was legitimate and whether the game would be removed from my steam account or worse, but it seems fine. I didn't trust cd keys either, but maybe now I should give them a shot in future
Fri 15/05/15 at 10:13
"possibly impossible"
I remember when PC versions of fighting games were to be avoided but recent games have been pretty good. I've seen this for £11 on CDKeys , so it's a real bargain.

Nice review.
Tue 12/05/15 at 23:30
Regular
With PS4 and Xbox One copies of Mortal Kombat X retailing at £40, should you consider the PC version at £20? Here's my experienc e of NetherRealm Studios latest version of the iconic and gory fighting series.

Before buying the game I decided to get my ps3 controller to work on my PC, as I decided I wouldn't enjoy it as much when using a keyboard & mouse. I usually stubbornly persevere with a keyboard & mouse regardless of the game, but this time I didn't even try to use it. As I only ever use the d-pad on my controller I'd assume it is playable with a keyboard & mouse but I have no idea.

Being a fighting game I expected the campaign to have almost no story with cut scenes being just a few seconds to feebly give context to a fight before moving on to the next. I was surprised to find that the campaign, unlike The Order 1866, had a full story that has closure with the main enemy being overcome in the end. It won't win any awards, but I laughed at a few one liners and enjoyed quite a few of the fighting action set pieces and was fairly impressed with it overall. I'm not sure what a normal time of completion is, but my steam hours played was about 6-7 hours when I had finished.

In Asura's Wrath QTE's wouldn't change a thing except an arbitrary score whereas in Mortal Kombat X you have different animations for success and failure. They don't affect the overall storyline in anyway, but they certainly put some effort into creating alternate animations. There are a couple of interesting failure scenes, but there is one QTE failure section which makes no sense as the positive outcomes occur without any punch or kick impact which is a bit weird to watch.

After finishing the Campaign I decided to have a go at some of the towers and I decided to have a go at a "Test Your Might" tower. I was initially confused as the UI had the four controller buttons flashing in the bottom left corner, so I decided to mash all four buttons simultaneously. This didn't bring much success and after many failures I decided to look online for help. The solution that worked was to rub a pen rapidly back and forth across all four controller buttons. I suppose a finger would have worked just as well, but this mode made me feel a little silly for playing it. I believe this mode was in previous mortal kombat games so I assume it's there for nostalgia.

When I entered into ranked play I got beaten many times in a row. Then matchmaking put me against someone who had yet to play a ranked match. I won the first round, then my opponent won the next and I won the final round with a sliver of hp left. I couldn't help but cackle with glee as I performed my fatality. I really savoured my first online win!.... I'm not sad or anything...

I've noticed, as of 11th May, there are moments in online play where things slow down to a crawl. It doesn't happen every fight; it's not consistent enough to be too bothered about it . Luckily it seems to affect both players equally so there isn't an unfair advantage to be gained from it. My PC exceeds the recommended requirements, but my internet connection is pretty poor so whether my connection bottlenecks me and my opponent or whether it is an issue with the game isn't 100% certain to me. I'm not sure whether this is an issue exclusive to PC either.

King of the Hill is my favourite online mode which is pretty much "winner stays on" mode. There's usually one person who is so much better than most players who ends up accumulating a big winning streak and you watch as one person after another tries to de-throne them as king. Of course I prefer to fight to try and beat the king, but I enjoy rooting for underdogs and skilled alike as a spectator as well. That is also the downside of King of the Hill, you'll be watching the king fighting other players a lot more than you would playing the game yourself unless you are good enough to be crowned. However, If you don't want to watch the fights you can practice to pass the time until you fight again.

I bought Mortal Kombat X for online play against other players and I wasn't disappointed. There are always cheap noobs, like me, who spam the same moves and the fun is in being able to predict and counter your opponent. It's a game of judgement & prediction; there wouldn't be kings with massive winning streaks if it were that easy. Even with the odd occasion of online slowdown, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Mortal Kombat X on the PC for some online fighting fun.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.