GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[Film] Metallica Through The Never"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 16/10/13 at 10:20
Regular
"I like turtles"
Metallica's Through The Never is a 3D IMAX concert film which is unlike anything you've probably seen before. 3D concert films are ten a penny these days but as you would expect from the mighty Metallica they decided to take their effort in a totally new direction. It is part heavily edited concert footage and part film, both sets of sequences run concurrently and although it tends to play out like a 90 minute rock music video it somehow manages to keep the viewer strangely enthralled.

The story revolves around a young roadie who is sent on a mission to retrieve one of the bands stricken tour vehicles. The reason for this is never explained and neither are most of the crazy events which follow. As the film progresses the story becomes more and more bizarre as Metallica's concert becomes evermore lavish. We're not just talking some lasers and a bit of smoke effects here, there are actual on set explosions, massive fireballs, gravestones arising over the stage and the building and then subsequent collapsing of a full size statue. This is a Metallica show after all and everything on offer here is as subtle as a sledgehammer to the face! As the film approaches its crescendo this stuff all falls to pieces leaving the band to finish off their set with a few makeshift lights and amps, a return to the Kill Em All era of the early 80's when these guys were playing in each other garages and basements and guess what...?, it's the highlight of the whole damn show and it was totally meant to be.

Through The Never is an experience which in my view takes you on a journey of Metallica's music, the tracks range from all eras of the 30 odd years that they have been doing this stuff and there are a couple of real surprise choices in there. There are a few references that only real fans will get but these are very much an as well as and the viewers enjoyment would not be lessened in anyway for those who did not pick up on them. I believe the story is not designed to make much sense as nothing is ever really explained and it is very much left up to the viewer to draw their own conclusions as to what they think is going on. Even if you do not have the faintest clue what the hell it's all about you can simply sit back and enjoy this very impressive ride. The cinematography and editing are simply incredible, it is clear that no expense has been spared putting this rather ambitious project together. When I first read that Metallica were embarking on making this film I feared that it might end up being a self indulgent piece of nonsense but as ever they have really pulled the rabbit out of the hat and produced something rather unique and ground breaking.

Even within the metal genre there seems to be quite a few who hold a real hatred for this band, a quick read on Metal Hammer's Facebook page usually shows more than a few less than favourable comments. OK, they've been on The Simpsons, made their own ridiculously overpriced Monopoly set, had their own video game, done some albums which didn't really work all that well, played with an orchestra, did that god awful Lou Reed collaboration, got Napster closed down etc. etc. but they have never been afraid to try something different and that in my view has set them apart from other bands in this genre. Had they simply continued producing the same old stuff for the last 3 decades then they would probably not still be around today, their pioneering attitude to their work has kept them ahead of the game and Through The Never is a fine example of something that no one else has done yet but I suspect many will copy in the future.

3D is in my view a shallow gimmick, yet here it works superbly as it is used in the context that it is. I had yet to see any film which I felt had been enhanced in anyway by this method of film making, however when used in making a ridiculously over the top rock music video I found that it can actually be of use. The journey Through The Never takes you on requires you to suspend your disbelief and be taken to a fantasy world where bolder is most definitely better. Pieces of shattered glass, balls of fire, parts of collapsing buildings all fly unrealistically out of the screen and this is all part of the plan, this needed to be done purely so it can all be undone for the films sensational thrashtastic low key finale. Metallica have successfully evolved over the past 30 years and managed to keep up with whatever has been around at any given time, Through The Never kind of condenses this 30 odd year journey into 90 minutes ending up right back where it all began.

If you are not in anyway a fan of this band or this kind of music then I'm afraid this is not the film for you. However, for any fellow metalheads I suspect the only issue you will have is keeping those stupid plastic glasses to stay on as you gyrate your cranium violently back and forth while watching this pioneering piece of film making. As I said earlier, I suspect you will see this format copied by many other bands in the future, just remember who did it first.
Fri 18/10/13 at 22:46
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Nice one pete ... I'll give it a view
Fri 18/10/13 at 08:28
Regular
"I like turtles"
Sonic Chris wrote:
A review by pete always draws my attention. A review by pete about a Metallica film, now that's a different matter entirely.

Hope you enjoyed it Mr. Moderator (probably more than you would have the film itself!). You should check it out when the DVD/Blu Ray comes out as here's loads of animated stuff in it to wow you (and believe me it really will). Think my Mrs. probably summed up the feeling of many when she told me that she would really like to see this film if Metallica weren't in it! As with any kind of music film if you don't care for the band then you ain't going to want to bother with the film. Maybe the usually impressive Morgan Spurlock's One Direction film was actually really good....? Apparently Through The Never has absolutely bombed at the box office (there were about 20 people in the cinema when I saw it and it was the only showing for miles and it was only being shown once!) so I am expecting a very swift DVD/Blu Ray release. Haters still gonna hate but screw em all, respect to Metallica for having the balls to try something different and for managing to make it more than just a little bit awesome!
Fri 18/10/13 at 03:40
Regular
"How Ironic"
A review by pete always draws my attention. A review by pete about a Metallica film, now that's a different matter entirely.
Wed 16/10/13 at 10:20
Regular
"I like turtles"
Metallica's Through The Never is a 3D IMAX concert film which is unlike anything you've probably seen before. 3D concert films are ten a penny these days but as you would expect from the mighty Metallica they decided to take their effort in a totally new direction. It is part heavily edited concert footage and part film, both sets of sequences run concurrently and although it tends to play out like a 90 minute rock music video it somehow manages to keep the viewer strangely enthralled.

The story revolves around a young roadie who is sent on a mission to retrieve one of the bands stricken tour vehicles. The reason for this is never explained and neither are most of the crazy events which follow. As the film progresses the story becomes more and more bizarre as Metallica's concert becomes evermore lavish. We're not just talking some lasers and a bit of smoke effects here, there are actual on set explosions, massive fireballs, gravestones arising over the stage and the building and then subsequent collapsing of a full size statue. This is a Metallica show after all and everything on offer here is as subtle as a sledgehammer to the face! As the film approaches its crescendo this stuff all falls to pieces leaving the band to finish off their set with a few makeshift lights and amps, a return to the Kill Em All era of the early 80's when these guys were playing in each other garages and basements and guess what...?, it's the highlight of the whole damn show and it was totally meant to be.

Through The Never is an experience which in my view takes you on a journey of Metallica's music, the tracks range from all eras of the 30 odd years that they have been doing this stuff and there are a couple of real surprise choices in there. There are a few references that only real fans will get but these are very much an as well as and the viewers enjoyment would not be lessened in anyway for those who did not pick up on them. I believe the story is not designed to make much sense as nothing is ever really explained and it is very much left up to the viewer to draw their own conclusions as to what they think is going on. Even if you do not have the faintest clue what the hell it's all about you can simply sit back and enjoy this very impressive ride. The cinematography and editing are simply incredible, it is clear that no expense has been spared putting this rather ambitious project together. When I first read that Metallica were embarking on making this film I feared that it might end up being a self indulgent piece of nonsense but as ever they have really pulled the rabbit out of the hat and produced something rather unique and ground breaking.

Even within the metal genre there seems to be quite a few who hold a real hatred for this band, a quick read on Metal Hammer's Facebook page usually shows more than a few less than favourable comments. OK, they've been on The Simpsons, made their own ridiculously overpriced Monopoly set, had their own video game, done some albums which didn't really work all that well, played with an orchestra, did that god awful Lou Reed collaboration, got Napster closed down etc. etc. but they have never been afraid to try something different and that in my view has set them apart from other bands in this genre. Had they simply continued producing the same old stuff for the last 3 decades then they would probably not still be around today, their pioneering attitude to their work has kept them ahead of the game and Through The Never is a fine example of something that no one else has done yet but I suspect many will copy in the future.

3D is in my view a shallow gimmick, yet here it works superbly as it is used in the context that it is. I had yet to see any film which I felt had been enhanced in anyway by this method of film making, however when used in making a ridiculously over the top rock music video I found that it can actually be of use. The journey Through The Never takes you on requires you to suspend your disbelief and be taken to a fantasy world where bolder is most definitely better. Pieces of shattered glass, balls of fire, parts of collapsing buildings all fly unrealistically out of the screen and this is all part of the plan, this needed to be done purely so it can all be undone for the films sensational thrashtastic low key finale. Metallica have successfully evolved over the past 30 years and managed to keep up with whatever has been around at any given time, Through The Never kind of condenses this 30 odd year journey into 90 minutes ending up right back where it all began.

If you are not in anyway a fan of this band or this kind of music then I'm afraid this is not the film for you. However, for any fellow metalheads I suspect the only issue you will have is keeping those stupid plastic glasses to stay on as you gyrate your cranium violently back and forth while watching this pioneering piece of film making. As I said earlier, I suspect you will see this format copied by many other bands in the future, just remember who did it first.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.