GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"XBox price rip-off"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 07/03/02 at 21:46
Regular
Remember I in an earlier post I said XBox is good value for money? Well, maybe it is, and maybe it isn't...

I just placed an order for my black Gamecube:

- Gamecube unit
- Memory card
- S-Video cable
- Wave Race
- Rogue Leader
- Super Monkey Ball

All that lot came to £289 including next day courier delivery.

When I look at that I feel like sacking off the XBox!!!! LOL! :o)
Wed 13/03/02 at 15:44
I honestly don't think you can compare the Xbox/PS2/Gamecube.

Why?

Well, the PS2 is 18 months old here so you can't say the Xbox having a more powerful processor is a big deal - the PS2 wouldn't have been far behind (if at all) if it had been released now.

Gamecube - not even aimed at the same market. It's PURELY for games. No online access, no dvd playback, games. Amazingly they've even managed to pull out a top price for it too so it can actually compete with PS2's excellent price.

Xbox - Just as expensive as PS2 was at launch although you do get more for your money when you take into account the broadband ability and harddrive. I certainly remember forking out another £30 for a memory card with the PS2.

The bottom line - it's not a bleedin' Console war!!
It's been a long time that we, the gamers, have had it so good.

PS2 has a platinum range and a £199 price tag, Microsoft have joined the console market and are introducing some great new ideas and Nintendo are not far behind with the Gamecube although I have serious fears that they COULD end up in the same situation as Sega if the GC doesn't do well.

Go forth and be merry - I'm a proud PS2 owner and fortunately I can get an Xbox too but I certainly won't be taking the pathetic 'My console's better than yours' attitude.
Sun 10/03/02 at 17:20
Regular
"I won the turnips!!"
Mantis wrote:
>Xbox has DVD playback.

---

But you have to pay £30 for the priveledge. Don't get me wrong I think that the X-Box is a great price for what it consists of especially as it's DVD player is three times as good as the PS2's.

Outlaw.
Sat 09/03/02 at 21:33
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
I think with xbox its you get what you pay for.

Xbox has a hard drive, GC doesn't. Witht his in mind, you don't need a memory card for xbox.

Xbox has DVD playback.

Xbox is broadband ready.

Xbox is considerably more powerful. Its GPU is programable so if any graphical tehniques are created xbox will be able to do them. Its future proof.

And in my personal opinion xbox has the best games by a few hundred miles. Halo, DOA3, PGR, Munch, All good PS2 games, Unreal chanp, JSRF...

I you think of it like the xbox is $300, then that should convert to around £300 it does seem like someone at MS is havin a laugh. The again remember we live in rip off britain, we pay more for everything.
Sat 09/03/02 at 19:54
Regular
"BOSE"
no u don't get it still :)

i wish all the people not getting an xbox would stop dissing it's prices. just cause u can't afford 1 u don't have 2 diss

the xbox is the most advance best etc console ever created on this earth. the people in here and others diss it cause it's the top of the food chain. it craps all over it's competitors. £300 and the rest of the money we xbox fans r gonna pay out 4 games official scarts etc is a fair price 4 the best console ever created

so stop moaning about it's price. and stop dissing it cause u can't afford it
Sat 09/03/02 at 19:10
Regular
"I won the turnips!!"
Daveus wrote:
> some people don't
> get it :D
even after it's been explained about twice. y does the xbox cost
> more? it's a much better console.

---

I don't think that you get it - the X-Box is more expensive now compared to others at this time; i.e PS2 at launch because it has everything included. MS wouldn't do a whole advertising campaign with the slogon "cos it's a much better console!!".

Outlaw.
Sat 09/03/02 at 18:02
Regular
"What tagline? Eh?"
Why not indeed. I'll actually end up with all three, as I have a PS2 at the moment.

I can't see myself keeping them all though, by the end of the year I will probably end up selling my PS2.
Fri 08/03/02 at 09:33
Regular
"699 days!"
GpotterUK wrote:
> Yeah, I heard about that. But that means what for XBox? Certainly not Nintendo
> games for tham, that's for sure!!

Anyhow, I'll have both so I win either way!
> :o)

Same! Why only give yourself one! :-)
Fri 08/03/02 at 09:33
Regular
"BOSE"
GpotterUK wrote:
> Remember I in an earlier post I said XBox is good value for money? Well, maybe
> it is, and maybe it isn't...

I just placed an order for my black
> Gamecube:

- Gamecube unit
- Memory card
- S-Video cable
- Wave Race
-
> Rogue Leader
- Super Monkey Ball

All that lot came to £289 including
> next day courier delivery.

When I look at that I feel like sacking off the
> XBox!!!! LOL! :o)

some people don't get it :D
even after it's been explained about twice. y does the xbox cost more? it's a much better console. it's the best console ever created. the game cube on the other hand aint the best. just cause u people can't afford more than xbox or not even an xbox don't give u the rite 2 diss it all the time. i say people diss over jelousy
Fri 08/03/02 at 07:23
Regular
"What tagline? Eh?"
Yeah, I heard about that. But that means what for XBox? Certainly not Nintendo games for tham, that's for sure!!

Anyhow, I'll have both so I win either way! :o)
Thu 07/03/02 at 22:17
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Did you hear about one of the blokes at Nintendo ? I don't know the name but apparently he's responsible for work on titles such as Rogue Leader or something.

I don't know the full details but apparently he left Nintendo and has joined up with Microsoft. My friend was telling me about it, its on that IGN website or something.
Apparently Nintendo wished him the best of luck with his new job at Microsoft. Yeah I bet they do. ;-))

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.