GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Japanese flop"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 07/03/02 at 20:07
Regular
The Japanese launch of the XBox wasn't exactly the most amazing ever, comparing rather unfavourably with the US launch.

Now, to make things worse for themselves, Microsoft are recalling some 250,000 units (the total available at launch) because some are faulty. They cause small scratches to appear on the edge of the DVD, which after a while build up and render the DVD useless.

I wonder if this will affect the European faith?!!
Sat 09/03/02 at 21:23
Regular
"¬_¬"
An Xbox, 10 games and 2 controllers for £280? Now THAT'S value. Heh.
Sat 09/03/02 at 19:21
Regular
"I won the turnips!!"
I'll still be getting an X-Box at the European launch even if they were all recalled in Japan (which they weren't). Some scratches may cause some concern, but aslong as you can paly the games and they have no long term damage I don't mind.

Outlaw.
Sat 09/03/02 at 16:10
Regular
"What tagline? Eh?"
1% of people complained so thats, 250,000/100 = 2500 people,
> wooppeee doo! a lot more peeps had problems with PS2, hopefully X box wont
> suffer :D

I don't know about you, but last time I checked 2500 people was a lot. Multiply that by the amount of bad press they will spread and it is not good news no matter how you look at it.

I'm sure it won't harm their sales, or the European launch, but for a newbie in the games arena, they need as few glitches as possible!
Sat 09/03/02 at 15:31
Regular
errr no, if u goto official xbox mag website it clearly states ms dont have to recall nuthin, the media jumped on the chance of faulting the box and mucked up the message, 1% of people complained so thats, 250,000/100 = 2500 people, wooppeee doo! a lot more peeps had problems with PS2, hopefully X box wont suffer :D
Sat 09/03/02 at 15:17
Regular
"I won the turnips!!"
Most Japanese games don't interest me (apart from GT3 obviously) as their stories and anime things are just...weird.

As MS is an American company it should base it's developer influence on what Western gamers prefer. This could even welcome a new decade of gaming that we are suited for. Of coures no offence to people who actually LIKE RPG's.

Outlaw.
Fri 08/03/02 at 11:02
Regular
"gametag = viperfire"
I suppose it depends on the developer, there have been several PS2 games that have arrived in Europe before America, and 1 or 2 that we have got before Japan. But this is still a very small amount of total games.
Thu 07/03/02 at 21:49
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Hopefully Microsoft will treat us a little better than the Japanese. Would be nice to get games before them for a change.
Thu 07/03/02 at 20:27
Regular
"I won the turnips!!"
I doubt if it will alter the European backing - different strokes for different folks - as Japan and Ninty have always treated Europe pretty badly. The Japanese even got a limited edition set - a black X-Box thing in the centre, smaller controller and key ring from ol' Billy. To me that's a bit cheeky for Brits and those in America.

It would have worried me more if it was a console based in Japan, but the X-Box is made and suited for the West.

And GpotterUK get yourself a tagline,
Outlaw.
Thu 07/03/02 at 20:07
Regular
"What tagline? Eh?"
The Japanese launch of the XBox wasn't exactly the most amazing ever, comparing rather unfavourably with the US launch.

Now, to make things worse for themselves, Microsoft are recalling some 250,000 units (the total available at launch) because some are faulty. They cause small scratches to appear on the edge of the DVD, which after a while build up and render the DVD useless.

I wonder if this will affect the European faith?!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.