GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Exams and Education"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 13/06/13 at 15:00
"possibly impossible"
Gove. A name that strikes fear in to the hearts of teachers. A man dedicated to one purpose...to ruin education forever.

...or is he?

The new proposals of a non-modular totally exam based system are only slightly less draconian than the last set of proposals...oh, and the ones before, both of which were scrapped.

Why show what a pupil can do in a year when you can trip them up by getting them on a single bad day, preferably with 3 exams all in the same day? We do need a larger un-educated workforce, of course, to go back to the proposed Victorian values. Those workhouses won't run themselves.

And the changing of grades from an alphabetic to a numerical 1-8 system is perfect for those who have had their thumbs amputated and aren't comfortable with stuff like working out the alphabet.

So, good work Michael Gove, please go to the back of the class.
Fri 14/06/13 at 16:11
Regular
Education's always such an annoying subject to read about in newspapers and online. I'm tired of old Etonians complaining about how exams are too easy

I guess my tutors intentionally forgot to teach us parts of the syllabus and left halfway through the year because they knew we'd find A-Levels so straightforward

In my ideal world, there'd still be a dichotomy between state and private education. However, there'd be one standardised examinations board, fixed grade boundaries and the course material would be available online for free so that those at the worst schools in Britain actually stand a fighting chance if they want to learn

Don't get rid of coursework though, come on. Just do what universities do and only allow one submission
Thu 13/06/13 at 19:49
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
pb wrote:
The new proposals of a non-modular totally exam based system are only slightly less draconian than the last set of proposals...oh, and the ones before, both of which were scrapped.

Both my O and A Level exams were of this type in the 60's and 70's!

And the changing of grades from an alphabetic to a numerical 1-8 system is perfect for those who have had their thumbs amputated and aren't comfortable with stuff like working out the alphabet.

The grading system for the O levels then was rather strange, numerical 1-9 with 7,8 and 9 being degrees of failure! Are the sweet sound of success ... you got an 8 boy!
Thu 13/06/13 at 18:26
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
The thing that bugs me with the current GCSE's is that each grade has a "quota" so that from year to year the % needed for each grade changes.

I did my GCSE's in1996 which was a weak year so I got better grades than if I'd done them in say 1997 which was a stronger year.

At university however each grade has a boundary, usually 40% for a 3rd, 50% for a 2:2, 60% for a 2:1, and 70% for a 1st, although some universities have 75% for a 1st, so if the whole class gets between 40-49% they all get a 3rd, where as if they all get at least 70% everyone gets a 1st.

This needs to be implemented into the current GCSE's and whatever replaces them if that does eventually happen.
Thu 13/06/13 at 16:37
Regular
"Monochromatic"
He is the worst kind of jobsworth. The guy that thinks knows better than everyone else & tries to be a "revolutionary", then cant back down even when literally everyone is teling him he doesnt know whats he's doing. Arrogant little egomaniac
Thu 13/06/13 at 15:00
"possibly impossible"
Gove. A name that strikes fear in to the hearts of teachers. A man dedicated to one purpose...to ruin education forever.

...or is he?

Why show what a pupil can do in a year when you can trip them up by getting them on a single bad day, preferably with 3 exams all in the same day? We do need a larger un-educated workforce, of course, to go back to the proposed Victorian values. Those workhouses won't run themselves.

So, good work Michael Gove, please go to the back of the class.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.