GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] Dark Sector"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Dark Sector'.
Sat 08/06/13 at 10:14
Regular
Dark Sector is a third person shooter released in 2008 on both the PS3 and Xbox 360. The game was developed by Digital Extremes, who became famous for the Unreal shooter series and now are more recently known for The Darkness 2 and the latest Star Trek game.

In this game you play as Hayden Tenno, a CIA agent who is sent to a fictional place in Europe to take out a mad man who wishes to infect the world with a virus, not unlike the Umbrella Corporation in the Resident Evil series. During his confrontation with the mad man known as Robert Mezner he ends up being injected with the virus and left for dead. Luckily though, Hayden reacts to the virus differently from everyone else and his arm becomes metallic and a spiky shuriken like weapon known as the glaive forms in his hand.

This weapon is used in combat to slice enemies in to pieces and it returns like a boomerang. If you just throw the glaive at the enemy it usually takes a few hits to take them out, but you unlock an ability to throw a power glaive by holding the R2 button down for a few seconds before releasing. This usually kills an enemy outright and it is most useful against enemies with riot shields as this move leaves them defenceless for longer.

In the first half of the game I took cover and slowly picked off guards one by one. When I unlocked the bullet deflection shield later in the game it allowed me to be more zealous and charge into groups of enemies which I preferred. However, the AI at times is broken and enemies just stand still without attacking.
The game has only a few variations on enemy types such as a riot shield guy, a heavily armoured Gatling gun guy, helicopters, invisible stalkers and zombie dogs. These manage to provide some variety for a while but it doesn’t hold for the game’s duration.

Later in the game you unlock the ability to control the glaive by tilting the controller using the six axis motion control. This feature is used for mildly interesting environmental puzzles, but I didn’t like how it had to be initiated. In Heavenly Sword you just had to hold down a button, but in Dark Sector you have to throw the glaive and then press the button again which meant that I would sometimes enter the motion control mode too late in flight leaving no room for manoeuvring or it never triggers because it already bounced off a wall. This design choice makes this feature fiddlier than it needs to be.

The glaive can be thrown into flames, electricity and Ice to solve environmental puzzles, but the problem is that they rarely ever change what the elements are used for. Ice freezes water so you can walk to new areas; fire burns black cobwebs which stand in your way and electricity opens locks on certain doors for some reason. To be fair though, robotic enemies are affected by electricity and there is a water boss late in the game that is affected by ice.

The bosses in the game have different behaviours and require observation of your surroundings to overcome. They are decent encounters, but nothing special which is why it isn’t very good that I see them as the highlight of the game. I also didn’t enjoy a couple of the later bosses which had cheap instant death attacks that game without warning.

The story was confusing to me, as I never understood the motivations behind anyone’s actions. Of course it is obvious that the CIA agent wants to stop the evil guy from spreading the virus. Why the evil guy believes that would make the world better is beyond me. The CIA agent has a friend and another enemy and they do things that I didn’t really understand. I’ve finished the game, but I can’t remember much of the story either.

In summary, the decent bosses fail to carry a game with a poor story, repetitive puzzles and inconsistent AI. It’s kind of average and forgettable. I can imagine why this game would have fans as the blade is fairly fun to use and I did like the bosses, but overall I’m hesitant to want to recommend it.

There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Sat 08/06/13 at 10:14
Regular
Dark Sector is a third person shooter released in 2008 on both the PS3 and Xbox 360. The game was developed by Digital Extremes, who became famous for the Unreal shooter series and now are more recently known for The Darkness 2 and the latest Star Trek game.

In this game you play as Hayden Tenno, a CIA agent who is sent to a fictional place in Europe to take out a mad man who wishes to infect the world with a virus, not unlike the Umbrella Corporation in the Resident Evil series. During his confrontation with the mad man known as Robert Mezner he ends up being injected with the virus and left for dead. Luckily though, Hayden reacts to the virus differently from everyone else and his arm becomes metallic and a spiky shuriken like weapon known as the glaive forms in his hand.

This weapon is used in combat to slice enemies in to pieces and it returns like a boomerang. If you just throw the glaive at the enemy it usually takes a few hits to take them out, but you unlock an ability to throw a power glaive by holding the R2 button down for a few seconds before releasing. This usually kills an enemy outright and it is most useful against enemies with riot shields as this move leaves them defenceless for longer.

In the first half of the game I took cover and slowly picked off guards one by one. When I unlocked the bullet deflection shield later in the game it allowed me to be more zealous and charge into groups of enemies which I preferred. However, the AI at times is broken and enemies just stand still without attacking.
The game has only a few variations on enemy types such as a riot shield guy, a heavily armoured Gatling gun guy, helicopters, invisible stalkers and zombie dogs. These manage to provide some variety for a while but it doesn’t hold for the game’s duration.

Later in the game you unlock the ability to control the glaive by tilting the controller using the six axis motion control. This feature is used for mildly interesting environmental puzzles, but I didn’t like how it had to be initiated. In Heavenly Sword you just had to hold down a button, but in Dark Sector you have to throw the glaive and then press the button again which meant that I would sometimes enter the motion control mode too late in flight leaving no room for manoeuvring or it never triggers because it already bounced off a wall. This design choice makes this feature fiddlier than it needs to be.

The glaive can be thrown into flames, electricity and Ice to solve environmental puzzles, but the problem is that they rarely ever change what the elements are used for. Ice freezes water so you can walk to new areas; fire burns black cobwebs which stand in your way and electricity opens locks on certain doors for some reason. To be fair though, robotic enemies are affected by electricity and there is a water boss late in the game that is affected by ice.

The bosses in the game have different behaviours and require observation of your surroundings to overcome. They are decent encounters, but nothing special which is why it isn’t very good that I see them as the highlight of the game. I also didn’t enjoy a couple of the later bosses which had cheap instant death attacks that game without warning.

The story was confusing to me, as I never understood the motivations behind anyone’s actions. Of course it is obvious that the CIA agent wants to stop the evil guy from spreading the virus. Why the evil guy believes that would make the world better is beyond me. The CIA agent has a friend and another enemy and they do things that I didn’t really understand. I’ve finished the game, but I can’t remember much of the story either.

In summary, the decent bosses fail to carry a game with a poor story, repetitive puzzles and inconsistent AI. It’s kind of average and forgettable. I can imagine why this game would have fans as the blade is fairly fun to use and I did like the bosses, but overall I’m hesitant to want to recommend it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.