GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"VIP Hosting Question"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 25/03/13 at 06:26
Regular
I'm currently running on Freeola standard hosting (free with my broadband). I'm considering switching up to VIP as my website is due to become a lot more popular.

Just a few questions I'd like answered by those who have experienced both hositing options:

I'm running opencart, but have noticed quite a slow down now I have a lot of products listed.. Am I likely to experience faster processing speeds on the VIP hosting? I will still be using the standard MySQL as I require external access to the database. I also understand there is much I can do within opencart to speed things along too...

Is there much difference in the uptime of the VIP servers? I appreciate the downtime on standard servers is minimal, but I did notice earlier in the week when everything was down, the VIP servers still remained in service.

Any other general comments welcome regarding my scenario!

Thanks
Chris
Tue 26/03/13 at 14:44
Staff
"Look! There's a..."
Bibowoka wrote:
So it sounds like running VIP would speed things up on the site, however, I believe I've read somewhere that there is no external access to the SQL server.

This would be an issue for me as I use a desktop based program to manage the database. unless you can tell me otherwise, or advise id Freeola offer access for an additional fee?.

The sql service on the VIP servers is manageable either via http://your_domain.com/vipsqladmin/ or via the 'manage' link in the SQL section of your Myfreeola account, so by default no there is no desktop access as such.

If you do decide to switch It might be worth putting a support ticket on to ask whether we might be able to help a bit more with this....
Tue 26/03/13 at 14:15
Regular
Thank you for your reply.. really appreciate it.

So it sounds like running VIP would speed things up on the site, however, I believe I've read somewhere that there is no external access to the SQL server.

This would be an issue for me as I use a desktop based program to manage the database. unless you can tell me otherwise, or advise id Freeola offer access for an additional fee?.

I will be doing some reading on the Opencart forums to speed things up from the coding end too.

Thanks
Chris
Mon 25/03/13 at 11:20
Staff
"Look! There's a..."
As you're using free hosting with the Optional SQL service there will be a longer delay for DB queries to complete as the MySQL server is separate from the web server - so every DB query has to be sent from the web server, to the sql server and back again which may take a while if you've got lots of stock on the site.

If you were to switch to VIP, then it would be faster purely because MySQL is installed on the web server directly so queries are dealt with much more quickly.

Opencart is a decent ecommerce package so it may not be relevant, but it may be worth looking at their support forums to see if indexes have been created on the DB tables. Indexing table can help queries complete more quickly.

The issues at the end of last week affected one of our suppliers, and all the services they provide us - which includes free email, free web hosting and ADSL. The VIP servers are managed by us directly which is why they were ok.
Mon 25/03/13 at 06:26
Regular
I'm currently running on Freeola standard hosting (free with my broadband). I'm considering switching up to VIP as my website is due to become a lot more popular.

Just a few questions I'd like answered by those who have experienced both hositing options:

I'm running opencart, but have noticed quite a slow down now I have a lot of products listed.. Am I likely to experience faster processing speeds on the VIP hosting? I will still be using the standard MySQL as I require external access to the database. I also understand there is much I can do within opencart to speed things along too...

Is there much difference in the uptime of the VIP servers? I appreciate the downtime on standard servers is minimal, but I did notice earlier in the week when everything was down, the VIP servers still remained in service.

Any other general comments welcome regarding my scenario!

Thanks
Chris

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.