GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] The Simpsons Tapped Out"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'The Simpsons Tapped Out'.
Wed 20/02/13 at 22:39
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
As reviewed on the iPad 2 (Free in the iStore)
(Available also on iPhone)

As a huge Simpsons fan and one that enjoys exploring the famous world that is Springfield, to find a game on my iPad that allowed me to do that peaked my interest. After looking at some of the reviews, I did find myself slightly put off, as it would seem a glitch upon updating the app would cause the game to reset (a problem that I have yet to encounter after a few months of playing). I took my chances and was glad that I have done so.

The plot of the story goes that Homer being Homer is snoozing at his command console at the power plant, fails to notice the warnings that the plant is overheating and causes a nuclear explosion that wipes Springfield off of the face of America. Homer then, feeling guilty, rebuilds Springfield in the way that he wants it and has the chance to improve on what was once there. Gradually he and Lisa clear up the nuclear debris, rebuild houses and other famous Springfield landmarks and well-known characters slowly return to the town. This continues (to what I can imagine, indefinitely...).

Each character comes with his or own set list of tasks to perform, all relating to their personality and the buildings placed in your Springfield. Each task varies in time it takes to complete (some very quick tasks last less than 10 minutes) and some lengthy tasks, which mostly last a day, but others can last a week or even in one task, 3 months of real time! Most have a selection of tasks ranging between the two extremes, which means you can set up the game to revolve around your free time. Completing these tasks will give you money and XP, allowing you to unlock and purchase additional buildings and characters.

These tasks are coupled with quests that are specific to storyline progression, or will relate to a gag in one of the episodes. These can be completed to earn additional cash and XP as well as provide some extra comical entertainment to the game.

Essentially Tapped Out is another one of the popular "freemium" games, where it is free to download but additional content can be downloaded at an (extortionate) price. Additional content is priced in donuts, which can be earned throughout the game by completing certain challenges and levelling up. You quickly realise that donuts are slow to come by and quick to spend (encouraging you to purchase them at a ridiculous fee). This content varies from additional characters, buildings or in some cases just scenery.

Graphically, the game is just as you would expect from an official Simpsons product. The characters and buildings look identical to that from the popular show and animations are slick, with some mildly amusing actions to couple the tasks (for instance, Apu can "Feed the Octuplets" and this will result in all 8 octuplets being swapped around a chest mounted bottle feeder, akin to a mother pig feeding her piglets). There are also some cut scenes that help the story progress, again providing some laughs.

The audio is what makes this game for me. It is hilarious. Lots of catchphrases and amusing sounds related to the character in question when tapped or commanding them to do a task. I often find myself tapping Cletus to hear his yokel laugh or Homer to make him "D'oh".

I also like how the game is seasonal. At Christmas it snows and everything is Christmas themed. It is at present all lovey-dovey for Valentines Day and I imagine there will be an Easter event as well. These events allow for limited time buildings and characters to be built or purchased with event specific currency. This specific currency, be it chocolate coins or hearts (etc.) are earned through visiting your EA Origin friends and/or completing event specific tasks. I suppose this is needed as these games can become stale with time and the constant updates maintain the interest.

To summarise, the Simpsons Tapped Out is another freemium game with a Simpsons twist. It is fun and I do find it entertaining, but if freemium world builders aren't your thing, the Simpsons appeal probably isn't strong enough to get you involved. However, if it is your sort of thing, the Simpsons theme will keep you coming back for more. Just don't waste your money on the donuts (well, unless they are real donuts, then by all means stuff your face!)

80%
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Wed 20/02/13 at 22:39
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
As reviewed on the iPad 2 (Free in the iStore)
(Available also on iPhone)

As a huge Simpsons fan and one that enjoys exploring the famous world that is Springfield, to find a game on my iPad that allowed me to do that peaked my interest. After looking at some of the reviews, I did find myself slightly put off, as it would seem a glitch upon updating the app would cause the game to reset (a problem that I have yet to encounter after a few months of playing). I took my chances and was glad that I have done so.

The plot of the story goes that Homer being Homer is snoozing at his command console at the power plant, fails to notice the warnings that the plant is overheating and causes a nuclear explosion that wipes Springfield off of the face of America. Homer then, feeling guilty, rebuilds Springfield in the way that he wants it and has the chance to improve on what was once there. Gradually he and Lisa clear up the nuclear debris, rebuild houses and other famous Springfield landmarks and well-known characters slowly return to the town. This continues (to what I can imagine, indefinitely...).

Each character comes with his or own set list of tasks to perform, all relating to their personality and the buildings placed in your Springfield. Each task varies in time it takes to complete (some very quick tasks last less than 10 minutes) and some lengthy tasks, which mostly last a day, but others can last a week or even in one task, 3 months of real time! Most have a selection of tasks ranging between the two extremes, which means you can set up the game to revolve around your free time. Completing these tasks will give you money and XP, allowing you to unlock and purchase additional buildings and characters.

These tasks are coupled with quests that are specific to storyline progression, or will relate to a gag in one of the episodes. These can be completed to earn additional cash and XP as well as provide some extra comical entertainment to the game.

Essentially Tapped Out is another one of the popular "freemium" games, where it is free to download but additional content can be downloaded at an (extortionate) price. Additional content is priced in donuts, which can be earned throughout the game by completing certain challenges and levelling up. You quickly realise that donuts are slow to come by and quick to spend (encouraging you to purchase them at a ridiculous fee). This content varies from additional characters, buildings or in some cases just scenery.

Graphically, the game is just as you would expect from an official Simpsons product. The characters and buildings look identical to that from the popular show and animations are slick, with some mildly amusing actions to couple the tasks (for instance, Apu can "Feed the Octuplets" and this will result in all 8 octuplets being swapped around a chest mounted bottle feeder, akin to a mother pig feeding her piglets). There are also some cut scenes that help the story progress, again providing some laughs.

The audio is what makes this game for me. It is hilarious. Lots of catchphrases and amusing sounds related to the character in question when tapped or commanding them to do a task. I often find myself tapping Cletus to hear his yokel laugh or Homer to make him "D'oh".

I also like how the game is seasonal. At Christmas it snows and everything is Christmas themed. It is at present all lovey-dovey for Valentines Day and I imagine there will be an Easter event as well. These events allow for limited time buildings and characters to be built or purchased with event specific currency. This specific currency, be it chocolate coins or hearts (etc.) are earned through visiting your EA Origin friends and/or completing event specific tasks. I suppose this is needed as these games can become stale with time and the constant updates maintain the interest.

To summarise, the Simpsons Tapped Out is another freemium game with a Simpsons twist. It is fun and I do find it entertaining, but if freemium world builders aren't your thing, the Simpsons appeal probably isn't strong enough to get you involved. However, if it is your sort of thing, the Simpsons theme will keep you coming back for more. Just don't waste your money on the donuts (well, unless they are real donuts, then by all means stuff your face!)

80%

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.