GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Emailing one's self"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 29/01/13 at 20:39
Regular
"Ctrl, Alt, Woof"
Is it by design thet you can't send an email to yourself (MAPI)?

On my Andriod tablet I wanted to email a document (pdf) to myself so I could pick it up off my laptop and print it... but the message kept getting bounced with a message stating:

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

[email protected]
SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<[email protected]>:
host mx6.freeola.com [109.71.173.47]: 550 Sender address has been blacklisted
Fri 08/02/13 at 22:26
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
... and with that I will agree JTD :¬)
Fri 08/02/13 at 19:43
Regular
"Ctrl, Alt, Woof"
Good grief - I thought this thread had died - obviously not :o)

Some excellent responses reading through the logic.

Personally I'd rather stuff etiquette and not alert anyone I'd blacklisted to the fact that there is a live address at the end of their spam. If I was a spammer I'd get a list of te blacklist rejections parse through them and send out more spam under a different guise.

If anyone I knew got the blacklist message then they'd know where I was to sort it out.
Wed 06/02/13 at 18:01
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
If you have an e-mail address on your blacklist and the e-mail address sends you mail the server should response with a blacklisted message.
If someone sends mail to a non-existent e-mail address at the server it should just 'fail' and issue a DENY command to the connection SMTP server.
The blacklisted response should be fairly quick and this will need to be looked into. Ideally checks should be done in an order a bit like this:

Address exists > address not blacklisted > address not spam > deliver to mailbox. The first 2 checks are very quick and not very processor intensive, spam and virus checking is what slows things down.

I have just tested EmailPro by blacklisting an external address and then sending from it and immediately got
550 Sender address has been blacklisted.
Wed 06/02/13 at 14:44
"Are you sure?"
Thanks dean5.

Its seems (for me) that failures for standard email are instant but emailpro is around 30mins as I've now had a failure for that.

Shame, as I liked Bob's previous logic regarding dictionary attacks.

Re. Blacklisting.
I'm glad JTD picked this up as I didn't realise it was working like this.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 06/02/13 at 14:14
Staff Moderator
"Mr Dean"
I've spoken to a member of the team that manages the servers who has advised that it is bad practice not to send a blacklisted response when an address has been blacklisted.

As this is more designed to prevent spam messages, then prevent contact from someone that you just don't want to speak to, the blacklisted response is used.

With regards to not sending a response, I've passed a request on to our systems team to see if a separate list could be implemented where emails from addresses would be accepted, then deleted, or moved to another folder, with no reject code sent.
Wed 06/02/13 at 14:06
Staff Moderator
"Mr Dean"
I've sent an email from the EmailPro service to a non-existent address on the standard service, and the bounce was as follows.

[email protected]
host mx2.freeola.net [78.33.48.243]: 550 5.7.1 <[email protected]>:
Recipient address rejected: Unknown user

This should really confirm that the reject codes given are the same on both services.
Wed 06/02/13 at 14:01
Staff Moderator
"Mr Dean"
Ok just to confirm, I've realised I've made a mistake on my last post. It's that the standard email service does not accept bounce messages, rather then smtp.freeola.net doesn't send them. On the other hand the EmailPro service does allow the receipt of bounces.
Wed 06/02/13 at 13:38
"Are you sure?"
As I mentioned, so did I and received nothing? Strange!
My test was from:
Standard email > EmailPro and
Standard email > Standard email

I've just tried sending from an EmailPro account and that does produce the error. So it also depends on which service the sending account is on.

Perhaps you could find out from the team that looks after Email how things should be behaving? Especially the 'blacklisted' response?

Thanks,
[s]Hmmm...[/s]

EDIT:
I was testing/writing when you posted there.
As JTD picked up on - it's the 'blacklisted' response that needs to be stopped.
Wed 06/02/13 at 13:30
Staff Moderator
"Mr Dean"
I've just read through the post that you pointed out. This seems to be more related to not getting bounces when sending through smtp.freeola.net. This is the standard email server that you would send through on Freeola broadband or dial-up if you are not using the Email Freedom or EmailPro services.

The smtp.freeola.net mail server does not send bounces if a message could not be passed on as far as I am aware. This is to do with the sending server, rather then the receiving server.
Wed 06/02/13 at 13:22
Staff Moderator
"Mr Dean"
I've sent a test message to a non-existent address on an EmailPro domain name, and the bounce message is as follows:

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

[email protected]
host mx5.freeola.com [109.71.173.44]: 550 E-mail address is not handled by this system

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.