GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A look ahead"

The "Creative Writing" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 05/11/12 at 11:36
Regular
"Anyone but that one"
The games industry has come a long way since the 16-bit SNES rocked the gaming world gracing us with titles such as Super Mario World, F-Zero and Pilotwings, titles which would become legendary in their own rights and are still enjoyed today. Who would have thought you could get so much fun from a 3.58MHz processor that would probably sound like Wheezy the Penguin squeaking his last squeak if you could attribute a noise to it.

Nowadays, gamers are a lot more demanding and a lot more particular and would probably throw a huge tantrum in the middle of the store if they got a handset that didn't match their special edition CoD Xbox console, an angry gamer is not a pretty sight. What an ungrateful bunch! (only kidding) You guys are enjoying the most exciting era of gaming just now with all sorts of new and exciting technology coming into the mainstream market but the most exciting times are yet to come, so let's peek ahead and see what we might be enjoying in the not too distant future.

3D Technology is something that's been progressing dramatically over the last few years, with 3D TV's only just becoming available for the home in the last year or so and whilst it's still very expensive we are starting to see prices come down. For an example, the price of a good Bluray 3D DVD Player is comparable to the price of a good Bluray player a year or so ago and for a good quality 3D TV you will pay around the same price as a good sized flatscreen used to be. So where am I going with all this? I'll tell you. I'm quite confident that we'll soon start to see 3D Gaming start to creep into the market, it's only a matter of time.

Just imagine the possibilities, having Battlefield dogfights in full, glorious 3D or zombies lurching out of the screen to grab your neck and have a good old nom on your brains. Combine that with the gesture driven technology that already exists with the Wii and Kinect and you have a truly amazing recipe for some really breathtaking titles that will immerse you in the game like never before. It may all sound too good to be true but it really is just around the corner. True you will probably have to re-mortgage your house and sell your kids on ebay to afford a 3D console when they come out but boy will it be fun.

With fibreoptic broadband becoming more widely available, something else that we could see fairly soon is On Demand gaming. Don't you find it annoying when your Xbox console leaves a big, ugly circular scratch on your disks rendering them completely unplayable, so much so that not even your trusty toothpaste will save you? Yes, I thought so, wouldn't it be great if you could do away with disks altogether? It would sure save a lot of space in the house and end the infernal nagging of parents forever telling you to keep them tidy. One possible answer is cloud storage, imagine being able to buy your game online via your console and play it immediately via the cloud server without having to faff about with a single box or disk, pretty groovy concept huh? Believe it or not it's probably not such a far-fetched concept as you might think, true it might cost a fair bit for the companies to provide the storage and bandwidth but I'm quite sure it's something many gamers out there would be more than willing to fork out a little extra for because let's face it, gamers can be notoriously lazy.

As I said, the most exciting developments in gaming technology are right around the corner and within arms reach but before you go and get your grubby mits all over these new fangled shiney things to come just remember the amazing heritage gaming has brought us and don't be afraid to dig out your dusty old Saturn, SNES or whatever retro console you might have, you'll probably find yourself enjoying some of the older titles much more than the glossy, feature rich games of today. Many of which, still remain unbeaten today, more isn't always better.
Mon 05/11/12 at 17:32
Regular
"Monochromatic"
The next generation of consoles should kickstart the next evolution of gaming that the Wii failed to do. What I've seen from Microsoft patents (unconfirmed) is that their next (or future) console contains some kind of multi-angle projector that can turn your living room into a scene. That idea obviously has a lot of potential.
Mon 05/11/12 at 11:36
Regular
"Anyone but that one"
The games industry has come a long way since the 16-bit SNES rocked the gaming world gracing us with titles such as Super Mario World, F-Zero and Pilotwings, titles which would become legendary in their own rights and are still enjoyed today. Who would have thought you could get so much fun from a 3.58MHz processor that would probably sound like Wheezy the Penguin squeaking his last squeak if you could attribute a noise to it.

Nowadays, gamers are a lot more demanding and a lot more particular and would probably throw a huge tantrum in the middle of the store if they got a handset that didn't match their special edition CoD Xbox console, an angry gamer is not a pretty sight. What an ungrateful bunch! (only kidding) You guys are enjoying the most exciting era of gaming just now with all sorts of new and exciting technology coming into the mainstream market but the most exciting times are yet to come, so let's peek ahead and see what we might be enjoying in the not too distant future.

3D Technology is something that's been progressing dramatically over the last few years, with 3D TV's only just becoming available for the home in the last year or so and whilst it's still very expensive we are starting to see prices come down. For an example, the price of a good Bluray 3D DVD Player is comparable to the price of a good Bluray player a year or so ago and for a good quality 3D TV you will pay around the same price as a good sized flatscreen used to be. So where am I going with all this? I'll tell you. I'm quite confident that we'll soon start to see 3D Gaming start to creep into the market, it's only a matter of time.

Just imagine the possibilities, having Battlefield dogfights in full, glorious 3D or zombies lurching out of the screen to grab your neck and have a good old nom on your brains. Combine that with the gesture driven technology that already exists with the Wii and Kinect and you have a truly amazing recipe for some really breathtaking titles that will immerse you in the game like never before. It may all sound too good to be true but it really is just around the corner. True you will probably have to re-mortgage your house and sell your kids on ebay to afford a 3D console when they come out but boy will it be fun.

With fibreoptic broadband becoming more widely available, something else that we could see fairly soon is On Demand gaming. Don't you find it annoying when your Xbox console leaves a big, ugly circular scratch on your disks rendering them completely unplayable, so much so that not even your trusty toothpaste will save you? Yes, I thought so, wouldn't it be great if you could do away with disks altogether? It would sure save a lot of space in the house and end the infernal nagging of parents forever telling you to keep them tidy. One possible answer is cloud storage, imagine being able to buy your game online via your console and play it immediately via the cloud server without having to faff about with a single box or disk, pretty groovy concept huh? Believe it or not it's probably not such a far-fetched concept as you might think, true it might cost a fair bit for the companies to provide the storage and bandwidth but I'm quite sure it's something many gamers out there would be more than willing to fork out a little extra for because let's face it, gamers can be notoriously lazy.

As I said, the most exciting developments in gaming technology are right around the corner and within arms reach but before you go and get your grubby mits all over these new fangled shiney things to come just remember the amazing heritage gaming has brought us and don't be afraid to dig out your dusty old Saturn, SNES or whatever retro console you might have, you'll probably find yourself enjoying some of the older titles much more than the glossy, feature rich games of today. Many of which, still remain unbeaten today, more isn't always better.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.