GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Cleaning N64 carts - HELP"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 23/02/02 at 11:23
Regular
Does anyone out there know of a way I can clean N64 carts without damaging them??

Look at the part where it connects with the console, and you'll see 4 silver bits on each side. Some of these on 2 of my new games are a bit dirty, and need cleaning as nothing happens when they're plugged into the console.

I know this is the problem as I look at my other carts and see that those parts are clean, and they therefore work.

I thought maybe I could use a tiny toothbrush-like thing or maybe a cotton bud??

Do any of you have any helpfull suggestions??
Please?? I'm desperate to start playing them!
Sat 23/02/02 at 17:57
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Don't worry problem sloved, thanks to Cooky!
Here's what he told me to do:

You get a cloth (not tissue, as that'll break up) and wrap it around a key. You then use the wrapped key to remove the dirt or whatever, by sliding it along the dirty areas.
You should find that it wipes off, and you don't need to wet it!

Thanks Cooky, and I hope this help other people :)

And 'er-no', I don't really have any fingernails, so that idea wouldn't work.
Sat 23/02/02 at 17:56
ok this may sound abit darstic
ok alot drastic but if u put da cartridge in some hot water without soap or anything else but water leave it about an hour or so then leave it in a warm place to dry it will work fine, iv done it and it works!

p.s
do not blow dry burns it
Sat 23/02/02 at 17:50
Regular
"Mm reprocessed meat"
Fogmaster wrote:
> Mould? eek! how?! just blow on them, find that works.

If you blow on it, you get moisture from your breath on it, which erodes the contacts. It's best to use a cotton bud.
Sat 23/02/02 at 17:01
If it was dust you could simply blow it away (or a simple cleaning)

You might not even have to do that as i heard the N64 is self cleaning and so would have contributed to helping you. It sounds like you have mould though which would indicate that somehow water has gotten onto your games (and possibly the N64)

So it might be wise not to use the games until you are possitivley sure they are ok as you might od ir-reparable damage to the machine or (if it came to the worst) you could hurt yourself electrically.
Sat 23/02/02 at 13:02
Regular
"everyone says it"
Get your finger nail and turn it at a 90 degree angle inside the cartridge area where the chip is... run it along from the left to the right (with the front of the cartridge facing you) and press on the 4 and 14 placement (you will understand when you look.

It should start now.
Sat 23/02/02 at 12:57
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
Mould? eek! how?! just blow on them, find that works.
Sat 23/02/02 at 12:53
Regular
"Long time no see!"
The problem with bog roll is that parts of it can break up and stick to the cart. And dust isn't the problem, it's something more like mould or something??
Sat 23/02/02 at 12:48
Regular
Try using a hoover or a dust buster.
Sat 23/02/02 at 11:27
Regular
"Simpsons Guy"
I use a bit of bog roll and flick the dirt away.
Sat 23/02/02 at 11:23
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Does anyone out there know of a way I can clean N64 carts without damaging them??

Look at the part where it connects with the console, and you'll see 4 silver bits on each side. Some of these on 2 of my new games are a bit dirty, and need cleaning as nothing happens when they're plugged into the console.

I know this is the problem as I look at my other carts and see that those parts are clean, and they therefore work.

I thought maybe I could use a tiny toothbrush-like thing or maybe a cotton bud??

Do any of you have any helpfull suggestions??
Please?? I'm desperate to start playing them!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.