GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] Stunt Guy - The Getaway"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Stunt Guy - The Getaway'.
Fri 13/07/12 at 15:42
Regular
"How Ironic"
Bruce Lee, Tom Cruise, Patrick Swayze, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Burt Reynolds and Jet Li. Now if you were choosing an action-movie team, no doubt most of these guys would be in it. They’ve each showcased incredible skills in their movies from car chases, to walking from explosions without looking. As a matter of fact, they haven’t. They were probably a safe distance away drinking an orange mocha frappuccino à la Zoolander while the stunts were being filmed, although Derek Zoolander was at least involved in a petrol station explosion. What am I saying here? Yes, Derek Zoolander is more of an action hero than Arnie.
So who takes the place of these starlets in the movies? Well you may know them as a stunt or body double. They’re physically fit people with no fear who take the place of the actor in the dangerous scenes. They earn their money from doing psychotic stunts that would turn most of us green, whilst the actor claims all the credit. Well stunt people; fear no more, the guys at Kempt have created an app to salute your work.

Stunt Guy - The Getaway is the first of what I believe will be a series of games revolving around the protagonist ‘Guy Stunt’ (the other in development at the moment being Bar Fight). The Getaway revolves around a filming session for a driving scene with you, Guy Stunt, weaving in and out of traffic whilst causing some destruction along the way. The aim of the game is to progress through traffic and collect money for as a long as possible before your car explodes and throws you through the windscreen. Each level (or ‘Take’ as they’re referred to in-game) increases in difficulty as the player progresses. More traffic is on the road, your car speeds up and my favourite feature is the camera zoom out which makes it more and more difficult for you to control as there is essentially more sensitivity (think of it as trying to thread a needle close up and then from far away). Ok, bad analogy.

Let’s get down to the fundamentals of the game. Graphically, Stunt Guy is created in a cartoon comic style using sharp highlight and shadow areas to add some depth to the characters. It’s a simple and familiar effect, but a successful one nonetheless. Simple graphics should really equal superior game play, and they do. The physics and collisions within the game are a triumph, with AI entities reacting correctly to the player’s vehicle in terms of collision direction and speed. Bigger AI vehicles cause more damage to other AI vehicles as well as the player and they’re slower, which really adds weight to the game, quite literally.

The music could perhaps become one of those famous music tracks that at first is pleasing but eventually becomes rather annoying (thinking Tetris personally), but thankfully the music that plays while your playing is much more favourable. It’s a suitable folk banjo track that speeds up as the player progresses, another feature I really like. If a track speeds up in a game, then it makes the player want to play faster and makes the game feel quicker. It makes the game more engaging and although it is an easy feature to implement, it is also a feature that’s easy to forget to include.

What’s in it for the long haul then? I can’t see the game being one that you will spend hours on. It’s a pick-up and play game that you will enjoy from time to time. The only real incentive within the game is collecting the different injury types. At the end of each level when your car health is depleted and you get thrown through the windscreen, you are presented with a list of injuries your stunt guy has picked up. More injuries are given to you if you last longer in the game. Collecting the entire list of injuries is really the only enticing aspect of the game. As it is, you’ll play this from time to time and enjoy it.

To conclude, Stunt Guy – The Getaway is another great production from Kempt. It is merely a taste of what we could see in the future; a whole series of Stunt Guy games. It may not look like much standing on its own at this moment in time, but I feel if the series is continued and the games are produced to a similar standard as this one, Stunt Guy may just make it on the AppStore. There are plenty of avenues to be explored, and I look forward to seeing Guy Stunt take on another role in the future because, if The Getaway is anything to judge by, it’s a series to keep an eye on.

Also posted on AppGamer.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Fri 13/07/12 at 15:42
Regular
"How Ironic"
Bruce Lee, Tom Cruise, Patrick Swayze, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Burt Reynolds and Jet Li. Now if you were choosing an action-movie team, no doubt most of these guys would be in it. They’ve each showcased incredible skills in their movies from car chases, to walking from explosions without looking. As a matter of fact, they haven’t. They were probably a safe distance away drinking an orange mocha frappuccino à la Zoolander while the stunts were being filmed, although Derek Zoolander was at least involved in a petrol station explosion. What am I saying here? Yes, Derek Zoolander is more of an action hero than Arnie.
So who takes the place of these starlets in the movies? Well you may know them as a stunt or body double. They’re physically fit people with no fear who take the place of the actor in the dangerous scenes. They earn their money from doing psychotic stunts that would turn most of us green, whilst the actor claims all the credit. Well stunt people; fear no more, the guys at Kempt have created an app to salute your work.

Stunt Guy - The Getaway is the first of what I believe will be a series of games revolving around the protagonist ‘Guy Stunt’ (the other in development at the moment being Bar Fight). The Getaway revolves around a filming session for a driving scene with you, Guy Stunt, weaving in and out of traffic whilst causing some destruction along the way. The aim of the game is to progress through traffic and collect money for as a long as possible before your car explodes and throws you through the windscreen. Each level (or ‘Take’ as they’re referred to in-game) increases in difficulty as the player progresses. More traffic is on the road, your car speeds up and my favourite feature is the camera zoom out which makes it more and more difficult for you to control as there is essentially more sensitivity (think of it as trying to thread a needle close up and then from far away). Ok, bad analogy.

Let’s get down to the fundamentals of the game. Graphically, Stunt Guy is created in a cartoon comic style using sharp highlight and shadow areas to add some depth to the characters. It’s a simple and familiar effect, but a successful one nonetheless. Simple graphics should really equal superior game play, and they do. The physics and collisions within the game are a triumph, with AI entities reacting correctly to the player’s vehicle in terms of collision direction and speed. Bigger AI vehicles cause more damage to other AI vehicles as well as the player and they’re slower, which really adds weight to the game, quite literally.

The music could perhaps become one of those famous music tracks that at first is pleasing but eventually becomes rather annoying (thinking Tetris personally), but thankfully the music that plays while your playing is much more favourable. It’s a suitable folk banjo track that speeds up as the player progresses, another feature I really like. If a track speeds up in a game, then it makes the player want to play faster and makes the game feel quicker. It makes the game more engaging and although it is an easy feature to implement, it is also a feature that’s easy to forget to include.

What’s in it for the long haul then? I can’t see the game being one that you will spend hours on. It’s a pick-up and play game that you will enjoy from time to time. The only real incentive within the game is collecting the different injury types. At the end of each level when your car health is depleted and you get thrown through the windscreen, you are presented with a list of injuries your stunt guy has picked up. More injuries are given to you if you last longer in the game. Collecting the entire list of injuries is really the only enticing aspect of the game. As it is, you’ll play this from time to time and enjoy it.

To conclude, Stunt Guy – The Getaway is another great production from Kempt. It is merely a taste of what we could see in the future; a whole series of Stunt Guy games. It may not look like much standing on its own at this moment in time, but I feel if the series is continued and the games are produced to a similar standard as this one, Stunt Guy may just make it on the AppStore. There are plenty of avenues to be explored, and I look forward to seeing Guy Stunt take on another role in the future because, if The Getaway is anything to judge by, it’s a series to keep an eye on.

Also posted on AppGamer.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.