GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"EU Cookie Law "

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 18/05/12 at 10:52
Regular
Hi All,

Will there be an option or add on in Instant Pro builder to provide a cookie opt-out system to comply with the new EU Law regarding cookies coming into force 25-05-2012.
I know I have to update privacy policy on the site to tell visitors what they are being used for etc.

Thanks for your time,

ceramicman
Thu 12/01/17 at 13:59
"Are you sure?"
It's still not too clear how this will work out.

The BBC put this article up yesterday: Cookie banner frustration to be tackled by EU

I've read elsewhere that BREXIT also might not be the end to the EU Cookie Law as the UK will carry over all/most of the current privacy regulation?!

Mind you it's hard to know what you can believe these days!
#FakeNews
[s]Hmmm...[/s]

EDIT
I notice that the European Commission webpage you linked to sets 6 cookies and they don't use a 'banner' just a text link at the bottom of the page...!

Post edited by Hmmm... on 12/01/2017 at 14:03.
Tue 10/01/17 at 16:58
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Digging up an old thread!
Looks like we might be able to ditch the cookie consent popups in the near future. About time to! A thrilling read, near the bottom: Lastly, we also propose simpler rules on "cookies", so that internet users do not have to click on a banner every time they visit a website. This way, people will be more in control of their settings..
Wed 20/06/12 at 18:55
Regular
Hi,

I have used and still use the Instant Pro cookie option, the only problem now is that my site is being visited but I can not track with analytics software. I can see that the site is being used from email, and Google click ads. So now I am in between a rock and a hard place, do I comply and not track visitors unless they accept cookies or not comply and state a cookie policy only.
Tue 12/06/12 at 22:51
Regular
That is cool, super service!

Thanks
Tue 12/06/12 at 20:50
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Well the InstantPro one is 'even more' compliant really. It's up to the site owners whether they want to use it. Also most of this was coded up before the last minute change by the ICO.
Tue 12/06/12 at 16:13
"Are you sure?"
Just had a play...

I prefer the Freeola.com version - more subtle, implied consent, quick time-out :¬)

[s]Hmmm...[/s] My Freeola InstantPro Site
Tue 12/06/12 at 15:13
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
I've just put this live now. If you already have a site built then you will need to load up the InstantPro builder and go to either the Cookie Permissions page (accessible from the overview), Site Statistics, Webmaster Tools, Create/Edit Adsense Skyscraper or Visitor Counter Options. You should then see a blue alert where you can enable or disable the displaying of the cookie alert to visitors on your site. Newly built sites will have this option enabled by default when they complete the builder wizard.
Sun 27/05/12 at 23:25
Regular
Hi,

That is exactly what I wanted to hear, thanks for your response and will implement when ready.
After reading around the web, there are different opinions on the way you should integrate this in you site and alert visitors in your browser(never easy).
For what it is worth Instant Pro has been very good, and our site has attracted loads of customers. Sometimes simple just works I think.

Regards,

ceramicman
Sun 27/05/12 at 16:23
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
The solution we are working on will be for InstantPro users to choose whether they wish to show a cookie alert on their site. The ability to enable this will be placed wherever there are InstantPro features that use cookies, such as the Visitor counter and Analytics.
We're not forcing InstantPro customers to use this as it's up to them to decide whether they wish to comply.
There will also be a page that explains cookies and also explains the cookies that may be set by the InstantPro site. This will be available whether or not you have enable the cookie alert.

I've noticed that so far, none of the 'big sites' are compliant. BBC require you to opt in, rather than opt out, Amazon appear to have done nothing and BT think Analytics cookies as essential (and call the 'Performance' cookies, but don't explain what each cookie is for). So there may be some small change to our solution as things become clearer.
Sun 27/05/12 at 06:37
Regular
Thanks for your response, will this also include Google Analytics cookie warning/options?

You must be jumping with joy with my questions, but I just want to make sure all is well with my site in the future.

Regards,

Ceramicman

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.