GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Bad"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 10/02/02 at 10:25
Regular
I was just going on about my website and everything and how I don't have enough time for it. When.....the entire thing gets damn well deleted.

Because of a certain member on here being somewhat of an idiot, I just paid to get the password changed (Yes, I had to pay). Anyways, after a week of waiting, they finally do it. But at what consequence I hear you say. Well, not only did they delete the entire account. Not only did they not delete the old password, but, they damn well degraded my from my package.

I ain't gonna mention the companies name, as SR would probably delete it, it ain't Freeola anyways so there is nothing to worry about. I just wanted to say, this is down right unacceptable and I'm darn annoyed with it all. £106 spent with this company so get my site and change the password and they freaking well degrade me?!?! What's all that about? £10 says they no longer reply to my e-mails.
Mon 11/02/02 at 10:26
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Thing is, all these companies are run by complete mooks. If you ever try phoning tech support for any computer related company, you'll find they are no use whatsoever. I friend of mine phoned up Dell some time ago, to find outwhat sort of RAM his laptop took.

"Get Kingston RAM" was the useful reply.

When he contined, and asked if he needed 72-pin or 168-pin, he was duly informed to take his laptop apart and count the pin spaces in the free RAM slots.

Genius, huh?

I did have a similar problem with a freeola tech guy a year or so ago, but I'll avoid mentioning that for now...

In short, most of the internet is run by idiots.
Sun 10/02/02 at 13:54
Regular
"Wasting away"
I sent 'em this.

" I just paid to get my password changed, and all that you've actually done is made a new username for that account. The old password still works and you haven't changed my password for my control panel. Also, I no longer have a database and my forums have been lost along with all my users and posts. Oh, and to top if all off, I'm not on Value Host Pro anymore, but Value Host. Can I please have some feedback?"

To which they replied

"Hi,

Thank you for contacting ******* regarding this matter, we were not aware of this up until this point, so I do not understand your forum posts.

This matter has been passed to an engineer, please allow them time to investigate and reply.

I think, I should reply with this.

"Because of all the pain that this has caused, I think by offering me viewandplay.com, viewandplay.org and viewandplay.net, as a gesture of kind will shall make myself forget all of this"

:-D
Sun 10/02/02 at 13:29
Regular
"Wasting away"
Alright. Nothing you can do though. I'm e-mailing them and they're telling me not to post it in the forums, obviously to keep it quiet and I've got an excellent scripter working with me anyways.

Just need the database working and all shall be recovered.
Sun 10/02/02 at 13:00
Mr. Nice Guy wrote:
> kottonmouth wrote:

That sucks man. First question: did you have the
> scripting backed up? We all think it will never happen to us, and then it does.
> I hope that you get your site back up and running completely soon. Note: I
> strongly suggest you back up the script if you can get it working again. Could I
> have the address of your site please?

I've got most of the sites content
> back. But, no forums because it can't connect to the database. This is highly
> annoying and I'd love to know whats going on. For a company that is mean't to
> be the second best hosting company in the UK, it makes you
> wonder.

Yeah, I would expect better from a professional company such as this. They should have at least sent a warning E-Mail out a week before so you could back up the relevant files/scripting. That was inredibly unproffesional on their part and you should recieve a rebate, in my opinion, not that I expect you'll get one. I'll probably get my domain name from Special Reserve's service.

www.viewandplay.co.uk

Thanks. That's a pretty nice site, and I tried to register (to see if a bug came up) and the following appeared:

phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database

I see what you mean now. If you need any help, just give me a shout and I'll try my best to help you out.
Sun 10/02/02 at 13:00
Mr. Nice Guy wrote:
> kottonmouth wrote:

That sucks man. First question: did you have the
> scripting backed up? We all think it will never happen to us, and then it does.
> I hope that you get your site back up and running completely soon. Note: I
> strongly suggest you back up the script if you can get it working again. Could I
> have the address of your site please?

I've got most of the sites content
> back. But, no forums because it can't connect to the database. This is highly
> annoying and I'd love to know whats going on. For a company that is mean't to
> be the second best hosting company in the UK, it makes you
> wonder.

Yeah, I would expect better from a professional company such as this. They should have at least sent a warning E-Mail out a week before so you could back up the relevant files/scripting. That was inredibly unproffesional on their part and you should recieve a rebate, in my opinion, not that I expect you'll get one. I'll probably get my domain name from Special Reserve's service.

www.viewandplay.co.uk

Thanks. That's a pretty nice site, and when I tried to register (to see if a bug came up) and the following appeared:

phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database

I see what you mean now. If you need any help, just give me a shout and I'll try my best to help you out.
Sun 10/02/02 at 12:49
Regular
"Wasting away"
kottonmouth wrote:

That sucks man. First question: did you have the scripting backed up? We all think it will never happen to us, and then it does. I hope that you get your site back up and running completely soon. Note: I strongly suggest you back up the script if you can get it working again. Could I have the address of your site please?

I've got most of the sites content back. But, no forums because it can't connect to the database. This is highly annoying and I'd love to know whats going on. For a company that is mean't to be the second best hosting company in the UK, it makes you wonder.

www.viewandplay.co.uk
Sun 10/02/02 at 12:46
Regular
"everyone says it"
Mr. Nice Guy wrote:
> Right. I've got everything back on the site now. But, the damn forums and
> database which had this scipt in it, which has taken someone 4 weeks to make,
> has no been deleted. Everything is wrong. My 1,500 posts on the forums,
> GONE!!! My users, GONE!! EVERYTHING IS ALL
> WRONG!!!!!!

ARRRRRRGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats a terrible thing to happen.
Crap! Take it to watchdog :|
Sun 10/02/02 at 12:45
Regular
Hey Grix, Long time no see
by the way I LOVE YOU!
Sun 10/02/02 at 12:45
Mr. Nice Guy wrote:
> Right. I've got everything back on the site now. But, the damn forums and
> database which had this scipt in it, which has taken someone 4 weeks to make,
> has no been deleted. Everything is wrong. My 1,500 posts on the forums,
> GONE!!! My users, GONE!! EVERYTHING IS ALL
> WRONG!!!!!!

ARRRRRRGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That sucks man. First question: did you have the scripting backed up? We all think it will never happen to us, and then it does. I hope that you get your site back up and running completely soon. Note: I strongly suggest you back up the script if you can get it working again. Could I have the address of your site please?
Sun 10/02/02 at 12:44
Regular
Fudging hell. That sucks.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.