GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] Mario Kart 7"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Mario Kart 7'.
Tue 20/03/12 at 00:32
Regular
Super Mario Kartcit was the start of something new for gaming. Changing the shape of competetive racing forever with itfs fun Super Mario World style; itfs revolutionary Mode 7 graphics; and itfs fun, pick up and play nature that has defined the series since 1992 (or 1993 if youfre in PAL territory). Of course, Mario Kart Wii has become one of the most successful games of all time utilising motion controls as itfs revolutionary quirk. However, it is almost a fitting tribute to the original that the main revolutionary quirk to the series isnft fancy controls, or even multiple-racers on one vehicle. No, like Mode 7 twenty years ago provided a graphical treat, Mario Kart 7 is in full 3D.
Mario Kart 7 follows the same classic formula that has made the series so successful. Mario and pals compete in a series of races, mostly themed around Mario game stages. Along the courses are boxes containing items that can aid your racer or hinder competitors. For example, green Koopa shells can be thrown at other racers to knock them out. The red version homes in on your nearest leading competitor. Bananas can be thrown or dropped to make other slip. And Invincibility Starscwell thatfs pretty much self explanatory.

Some items are completely new to this incarnation of Mario Kart: The Tanooki Tail is used to knock out enemies that are rubbing your rubber; The fire flower lets you shoot fireballs at a limited distance infront of your kart to frazzle your foes; but the most suprising pick up is a long awaited return to the series which has only ever appeared in Super Mario Kart on the SNES and Mario Kart: Super Circuit on the Game Boy Advance (which was basically the SNES gamefs only real gsequelh in the series) and that is the coin. Collect these as you travel around the tracks and your kart will gain a slight speed advantage. Get hit by an enemy item or fall off the course and youfll lose some coins. They may not seem to do much but these coins can make or break a race for you.

Bruce Forsythe once mentioned that gpoints make rich people.h In Mario Kart, gaining points helps you unlock new characters and vehicles. Picking the right set or wheels or parasol can make the difference between losing badly or rolling past your competitors.

There are even more twists to Mario Kart 7 which almost make up for the motorbike announcement of Mario Kart Wii. Mario and pals can now race underwater with a kind of Scubagear for your racer. Not only that but the residents of the Mushroom Kingdom also have the ability to paraglide through the air majestically to get a little bit more of an edge in the race. Whilst these features do add a little more variety to the game, I feel this is where Mario Kart 7 shows a weakness. The course design isnft as strong as previous games in the series. Trying to add multiple routes to the courses to accomodate the gliders and the underwater features has left me feeling like the simplicity of the racing has been lost a little. The courses are still great mindcI mean, none could ever be as bad as Baby Mariofs Parkway from the GameCube game, but I just donft find them as enjoyable as when I raced through Mario Kart 64Œs courses, or when I powerslided my way through the haunted mansions of Super Mario Kart.

Ofcourse, like all Mario Kart games since the third game in the series, there are retro-courses to pick and play from. The majority of them wouldnft have been my personal choices but then again I havenft done research into the courses that the majority of gamers would like to playcagain. But if it were up to me, all previous courses would have a 3D version in Mario Kart 7.

Multiplayer Mario Karting is what has made the series so popular though. From a single cart, you can play 7 via multiple 3DSs. However, as the cartless gamers youfre limited to playing as Shyguy for some reason. But with a cart each, you get a kart each (see what I did there?) and get to play the game in its full sense. But if you really want to enjoy Mario Kart 7 to the fullest, connect it up to your WiFi broadband connection and play against people from all over the world! Mario Kart 7 even uses streetpass and spotpass to share time trial times and to introduce other gamerfs Miifs into your races.

Back to basics
Controls are as your expect, graphics are bright, colourful and well thought out, and the soundtrack is a wonderful collection of classic and new tunes that blend well together.

I should pretend that this is the best Mario Kart game to date. I could even pretend it is the most enjoyable game I have played on the Nintendo 3DS. But I wont be patronising. Mario Kart 7 is what it is: A competent racer that is very good fun to play and has all the charm of its predecessors. It does feel like it is trying too hard to do something new but at the same time pulls off some entertaining gaming. It does most things right but it doesnft make pole position. Therefore I find it rather fitting that I give this one a big fat 7 out of 10.

This review has been posted on my own personal blog-space and therefore may appear on search engines. However it is wholly my own work...and to be fair, I haven't even giving this game as high a score as you would normally expect for a key Nintendo title. Is it fair? I don't really care if it's fair. It's my opinion. Feel free to tell me if you're wrong...but please tell me why you think I'm wrong. Agree with me? Again feel free to say why. I enjoy chatting about the things that entertain me. Anyway, I'm blabbering on now when all I really wanted to point out is that this is on another site (though only 1 at time of posting).
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Tue 20/03/12 at 00:32
Regular
Super Mario Kartcit was the start of something new for gaming. Changing the shape of competetive racing forever with itfs fun Super Mario World style; itfs revolutionary Mode 7 graphics; and itfs fun, pick up and play nature that has defined the series since 1992 (or 1993 if youfre in PAL territory). Of course, Mario Kart Wii has become one of the most successful games of all time utilising motion controls as itfs revolutionary quirk. However, it is almost a fitting tribute to the original that the main revolutionary quirk to the series isnft fancy controls, or even multiple-racers on one vehicle. No, like Mode 7 twenty years ago provided a graphical treat, Mario Kart 7 is in full 3D.
Mario Kart 7 follows the same classic formula that has made the series so successful. Mario and pals compete in a series of races, mostly themed around Mario game stages. Along the courses are boxes containing items that can aid your racer or hinder competitors. For example, green Koopa shells can be thrown at other racers to knock them out. The red version homes in on your nearest leading competitor. Bananas can be thrown or dropped to make other slip. And Invincibility Starscwell thatfs pretty much self explanatory.

Some items are completely new to this incarnation of Mario Kart: The Tanooki Tail is used to knock out enemies that are rubbing your rubber; The fire flower lets you shoot fireballs at a limited distance infront of your kart to frazzle your foes; but the most suprising pick up is a long awaited return to the series which has only ever appeared in Super Mario Kart on the SNES and Mario Kart: Super Circuit on the Game Boy Advance (which was basically the SNES gamefs only real gsequelh in the series) and that is the coin. Collect these as you travel around the tracks and your kart will gain a slight speed advantage. Get hit by an enemy item or fall off the course and youfll lose some coins. They may not seem to do much but these coins can make or break a race for you.

Bruce Forsythe once mentioned that gpoints make rich people.h In Mario Kart, gaining points helps you unlock new characters and vehicles. Picking the right set or wheels or parasol can make the difference between losing badly or rolling past your competitors.

There are even more twists to Mario Kart 7 which almost make up for the motorbike announcement of Mario Kart Wii. Mario and pals can now race underwater with a kind of Scubagear for your racer. Not only that but the residents of the Mushroom Kingdom also have the ability to paraglide through the air majestically to get a little bit more of an edge in the race. Whilst these features do add a little more variety to the game, I feel this is where Mario Kart 7 shows a weakness. The course design isnft as strong as previous games in the series. Trying to add multiple routes to the courses to accomodate the gliders and the underwater features has left me feeling like the simplicity of the racing has been lost a little. The courses are still great mindcI mean, none could ever be as bad as Baby Mariofs Parkway from the GameCube game, but I just donft find them as enjoyable as when I raced through Mario Kart 64Œs courses, or when I powerslided my way through the haunted mansions of Super Mario Kart.

Ofcourse, like all Mario Kart games since the third game in the series, there are retro-courses to pick and play from. The majority of them wouldnft have been my personal choices but then again I havenft done research into the courses that the majority of gamers would like to playcagain. But if it were up to me, all previous courses would have a 3D version in Mario Kart 7.

Multiplayer Mario Karting is what has made the series so popular though. From a single cart, you can play 7 via multiple 3DSs. However, as the cartless gamers youfre limited to playing as Shyguy for some reason. But with a cart each, you get a kart each (see what I did there?) and get to play the game in its full sense. But if you really want to enjoy Mario Kart 7 to the fullest, connect it up to your WiFi broadband connection and play against people from all over the world! Mario Kart 7 even uses streetpass and spotpass to share time trial times and to introduce other gamerfs Miifs into your races.

Back to basics
Controls are as your expect, graphics are bright, colourful and well thought out, and the soundtrack is a wonderful collection of classic and new tunes that blend well together.

I should pretend that this is the best Mario Kart game to date. I could even pretend it is the most enjoyable game I have played on the Nintendo 3DS. But I wont be patronising. Mario Kart 7 is what it is: A competent racer that is very good fun to play and has all the charm of its predecessors. It does feel like it is trying too hard to do something new but at the same time pulls off some entertaining gaming. It does most things right but it doesnft make pole position. Therefore I find it rather fitting that I give this one a big fat 7 out of 10.

This review has been posted on my own personal blog-space and therefore may appear on search engines. However it is wholly my own work...and to be fair, I haven't even giving this game as high a score as you would normally expect for a key Nintendo title. Is it fair? I don't really care if it's fair. It's my opinion. Feel free to tell me if you're wrong...but please tell me why you think I'm wrong. Agree with me? Again feel free to say why. I enjoy chatting about the things that entertain me. Anyway, I'm blabbering on now when all I really wanted to point out is that this is on another site (though only 1 at time of posting).

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.