GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[FILM] Girl with the Dragon Tattoo – 2011"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 03/02/12 at 11:42
Regular
"THFC"
[FILM] Girl with the Dragon Tattoo – 2011

So I am sure most of you have heard about this film and probably seen it or the sweedish version which was released a few years back now. Having been quite late to the party on this one, I had done well to avoid any plot spoilers and will avoid so in this review to those who are yet to see it. However, I was subject to the hype about the film and everyone being collective the fact they considered it one of the best films of last year. While it is a brilliant film, I always have a slight disliking to approaching a film with so much expectation, but thankfully this is one occasion where I enjoyed the film from start to end.

The film is not one to be taken lightly or at a time when your wanting something with no thinking, you will be in your seat for the best part of 3 hours, and while it does feel that long, the last half of the film makes you glad you sat down and pressed play to begin with. Daniel Craig plays Mikael, a journalist who is a bit down on luck and after having a story destroy his career, finds himself in the northern part of Sweeden, where he is asked to investigate the murder of a 16 year old girl, by her grandfather. However, the murder was 40 years ago and no one in the family is very willing to help. All the occupants of this wealthy family live on an island off the mainland, connected by one bridge, providing a tense feel to all the locations which Mikael will be visiting while investigating the family.

Running parallel to this is the introduction of a “rough around the edges” style character who little is known of, other than she is considered a very good investigator/researcher. We soon learn from her movements and activities that she is not a sociable character and not had the best upbringing. However she is extremely resourceful and able to get what she wants from people. Her name is Lisbeth, and her pale skin and dark hair, make her stand out as a rather abstract character. There is “one scene” which some of you may know of and heard of as a more graphic one in the film, which in my opinion is down brilliantly, and really generates the fear and pain of the characters. I won’t say more than this as it is a shock when it happens and helps add to the film.

Around half way through the film, Mikael finds himself teamed up with Lisbeth and using her abilities to aid in the search for an answer to the murder. When the two team up, things really pick up and clues start coming out the woodwork, allowing you to start making your own theories on what has happened, and when this is the case any murder/thriller film comes into its own and proves if it is any good. Up until this point, I had no idea what had happened, and anyone who said they guessed the outcome, I think is lying or read the book and seen the original! Personally I was able to get to the answer before the end and it is unveiled, but even so there were things in there I had not seen. It really is a great film for building the mystery and suspense, and bringing it all together at the end.

Once the murder is solved and everything seems to have come to an end, your treated to an extra 20 minutes of side story really, that could have been left out, but your thankful it is not. With Daniel Craig playing Mikael in one of my favourite performances of his and Rooney Mara (I didn’t know her either) who plays Lisbeth was really the stand out, bringing her performance into an odd, loner who you cant help but feel drawn to.

So on the whole, if you are yet to see this film, then you may have missed your chance at the cinema, but when it comes out, rent it and enjoy the experience. I know I will be watching it again and eagerly awaiting the next instalment in this highly acclaimed trilogy of remakes.

9/10
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Fri 03/02/12 at 11:42
Regular
"THFC"
[FILM] Girl with the Dragon Tattoo – 2011

So I am sure most of you have heard about this film and probably seen it or the sweedish version which was released a few years back now. Having been quite late to the party on this one, I had done well to avoid any plot spoilers and will avoid so in this review to those who are yet to see it. However, I was subject to the hype about the film and everyone being collective the fact they considered it one of the best films of last year. While it is a brilliant film, I always have a slight disliking to approaching a film with so much expectation, but thankfully this is one occasion where I enjoyed the film from start to end.

The film is not one to be taken lightly or at a time when your wanting something with no thinking, you will be in your seat for the best part of 3 hours, and while it does feel that long, the last half of the film makes you glad you sat down and pressed play to begin with. Daniel Craig plays Mikael, a journalist who is a bit down on luck and after having a story destroy his career, finds himself in the northern part of Sweeden, where he is asked to investigate the murder of a 16 year old girl, by her grandfather. However, the murder was 40 years ago and no one in the family is very willing to help. All the occupants of this wealthy family live on an island off the mainland, connected by one bridge, providing a tense feel to all the locations which Mikael will be visiting while investigating the family.

Running parallel to this is the introduction of a “rough around the edges” style character who little is known of, other than she is considered a very good investigator/researcher. We soon learn from her movements and activities that she is not a sociable character and not had the best upbringing. However she is extremely resourceful and able to get what she wants from people. Her name is Lisbeth, and her pale skin and dark hair, make her stand out as a rather abstract character. There is “one scene” which some of you may know of and heard of as a more graphic one in the film, which in my opinion is down brilliantly, and really generates the fear and pain of the characters. I won’t say more than this as it is a shock when it happens and helps add to the film.

Around half way through the film, Mikael finds himself teamed up with Lisbeth and using her abilities to aid in the search for an answer to the murder. When the two team up, things really pick up and clues start coming out the woodwork, allowing you to start making your own theories on what has happened, and when this is the case any murder/thriller film comes into its own and proves if it is any good. Up until this point, I had no idea what had happened, and anyone who said they guessed the outcome, I think is lying or read the book and seen the original! Personally I was able to get to the answer before the end and it is unveiled, but even so there were things in there I had not seen. It really is a great film for building the mystery and suspense, and bringing it all together at the end.

Once the murder is solved and everything seems to have come to an end, your treated to an extra 20 minutes of side story really, that could have been left out, but your thankful it is not. With Daniel Craig playing Mikael in one of my favourite performances of his and Rooney Mara (I didn’t know her either) who plays Lisbeth was really the stand out, bringing her performance into an odd, loner who you cant help but feel drawn to.

So on the whole, if you are yet to see this film, then you may have missed your chance at the cinema, but when it comes out, rent it and enjoy the experience. I know I will be watching it again and eagerly awaiting the next instalment in this highly acclaimed trilogy of remakes.

9/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.