GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Dwarf Rocked!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Golden Axe'.
Sat 18/01/03 at 21:15
Regular
Golden Axe. Now there’s a game all you retro gamers should remember (although the Axe never was gold?…unless it was gold plated and that wore off…I dunno!). Released by Sega in 1989 this should have been one of THE games to shape the gaming world of today. Yet this doesn’t seem to be the case.

Golden Axe is one of the all time great games which allows you to take control of 1 of 3 characters:

The little Viking Dwarf – Out of ZZ Tops
The Male with the Sword – Conan the Barbarian wannabe
The Female with the Sword – An Xena Princess Warrior for the 80’s

What is surprising is that games of todays generation only offer about the same number of characters for selection as this ‘Golden’ oldie. The characters each have their own ‘special’ moves as well as being able to collect some magic potions from little elves that make Ronnie Corbet look like a giant. When you released these, dependant on the amount of potions you have collected, you were able to release a fury of lightening that made your local nightclub look like someone turning a light switch on and off.

There were about 8 levels which gave varying levels of difficulty, but there was a large amount of joy to be had from jumping on a creature which was a cross between a large rat and some sort of dinosaur and tripping people over…Although I never did question why they already had saddles attached to them.

The bad guys you met along the way that you were trying to kindly put a sword or an axe through went from the plain dumb, to over plump world strongest man contenders, to skeletons who had just finished the Geri Yoga workout. Overall this was the game that spawned many great scrolling beat ‘em ups on the Sega consoles such as SOR, Two Crude Dudes and Final Fight on the Mega CD. What is shocking is Golden Axe has been forgotten and it’s format (scrolling beat ‘em up) has never really been converted to a current production console.

So again I pray to games designers out there to bring the Golden Axe format of a game onto a current console and allow us gamers out there to start believing that we can Beat Death Adder up once again, despite the fact that he’s 8 ft taller than your character and wearing protective armour (we’ll forget that pat from the fact we could rarely defeat him).

Overall (in a Bruce Forsyth voice) “It’s a good game, good game” yet no one has giving todays consoles the type of game they deserve if it were to be converted though or a game similar e made…a word of advice, leave the dodgy sound track behind…

…“dun der dun der, dun der dun der…der der din don der der din don…der derla din don”
Sun 19/01/03 at 20:20
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Excellent post, excellent game.

I always used to play as the dwarf myself, the range of the axe more than made up for the lack of magic power. It's a shame you couldn't play as the dwarf in Golden Axe 3, it might have salvaged what was a truly abyssmal sequel to, and nail in the coffin for, one of the best series of it's time.

Golden Axe 2 took up much of my youth :)
Sun 19/01/03 at 20:14
Regular
"She's a dog!"
It was a great game that I must have completed a hundred times. And it is true, the dwarf ruled.
Sun 19/01/03 at 09:01
Regular
The scrolling beat'em'up lost its appeal once it made the transition to 3D. Although I must say I did like 'Sword of the Beserk: Gut's Rage' on the Dreamcast - that had an old-style feel.

I think I played Golden Axe, but only briefly: no doubt there was those 'red joints of meat' scattered throughout the gameworld for the marauding heroes to 'chomp' on....
Sat 18/01/03 at 21:15
Regular
"Big Pimpin'"
Golden Axe. Now there’s a game all you retro gamers should remember (although the Axe never was gold?…unless it was gold plated and that wore off…I dunno!). Released by Sega in 1989 this should have been one of THE games to shape the gaming world of today. Yet this doesn’t seem to be the case.

Golden Axe is one of the all time great games which allows you to take control of 1 of 3 characters:

The little Viking Dwarf – Out of ZZ Tops
The Male with the Sword – Conan the Barbarian wannabe
The Female with the Sword – An Xena Princess Warrior for the 80’s

What is surprising is that games of todays generation only offer about the same number of characters for selection as this ‘Golden’ oldie. The characters each have their own ‘special’ moves as well as being able to collect some magic potions from little elves that make Ronnie Corbet look like a giant. When you released these, dependant on the amount of potions you have collected, you were able to release a fury of lightening that made your local nightclub look like someone turning a light switch on and off.

There were about 8 levels which gave varying levels of difficulty, but there was a large amount of joy to be had from jumping on a creature which was a cross between a large rat and some sort of dinosaur and tripping people over…Although I never did question why they already had saddles attached to them.

The bad guys you met along the way that you were trying to kindly put a sword or an axe through went from the plain dumb, to over plump world strongest man contenders, to skeletons who had just finished the Geri Yoga workout. Overall this was the game that spawned many great scrolling beat ‘em ups on the Sega consoles such as SOR, Two Crude Dudes and Final Fight on the Mega CD. What is shocking is Golden Axe has been forgotten and it’s format (scrolling beat ‘em up) has never really been converted to a current production console.

So again I pray to games designers out there to bring the Golden Axe format of a game onto a current console and allow us gamers out there to start believing that we can Beat Death Adder up once again, despite the fact that he’s 8 ft taller than your character and wearing protective armour (we’ll forget that pat from the fact we could rarely defeat him).

Overall (in a Bruce Forsyth voice) “It’s a good game, good game” yet no one has giving todays consoles the type of game they deserve if it were to be converted though or a game similar e made…a word of advice, leave the dodgy sound track behind…

…“dun der dun der, dun der dun der…der der din don der der din don…der derla din don”

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.