GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A New Age of Cheating"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 12/01/02 at 12:58
Regular
We are all aware of cheats, comprende? We all know that cheats can help us, for good, or for bad, correct? Well, there is a new age of cheaters among us, who are smarter, more calculated, kaniving and concise, than the "old age" of cheaters, that took us to the next stage, admitted us to the secret level and elevated us to the top of the gaming pedestal. These people are now considered obsolete - as they are either giving up the cheating world or "converting" to the new age, where a simple level skip is considered "insufficient". In this day and age, flying around at break-neck speeds and killing 7 enemies in a minute is labelled "acceptable" - nothing more. What I am grabbing at in a nutshell is that cheating has now crossed the line to online and multiplayer gaming. There are an ever-growing number of cheaters-only servers springing up. Load up Return To Castle Wolfenstein, and you will find that a lot of the servers are cheat-orientated warfare, which really hurts a lot of fans. Cheating wears people down. Many people have never cheated in their lives and are opposed to the whole idea, so much that they question bureaucracy and think that there should be some sort of revolution, or revenge tactic against cheaters. I was thinking, would matches like this be more interesting? Seeing how players use available hacks to make a more tactics based game, avoiding each other, outwitting the opponent?

This may bring towards chaos for online gaming. Gaming may no longer be a tactic-based competition, but a drivel-based triathalon to see who can download the most patches and utilise them mercilessly. The fun would be lost and it would only be played by very sad people indeed. To irridicate this, there could be a limit to only one or two cheats programmed in by each player. Of course, there is no way to ensure this, but if mods were positioned in each server, they could heftily boot any offending players and possibly give them a permanent ban if they are repeat offenders. It could work like the Predator Tag Mode in Alien .vs. Predator, working like hunter .vs hunted, in that only the cheater can score, and if you kill the cheater, you are the cheater and can score - it would push people to fight back and resist against the cheaters! To add more pressure, people would find ways of getting these hacks into the "normal" bog-standard, non-hacks servers, with some clever brainchild device. I'm quite sure that the only hack a lot of people want to see is if someone is cheating, the map changes to a single room. Everybody has only crowbars, and the cheater is the only one that can be killed. A lot of the cheaters are spotty, pre-adolescent script-kiddies who up the intensify the level of cheating to fit their own unsatisfied ego. Although, to be fair, this would work with some games. With FPS games, this would be a total flop, as you would barely re-spawn before hitting the floor again, popped with 7 or 8 bullets. With RTS games, this could be very exciting, in that you'd never run out of supplies!

For non-conformists of the new era, they will relish at the fact that you will now be able to see cheater .vs. cheater to see who has the best hacks. In lamens terms, you get to see one cheater annihilated by a better cheater. Also, this may show them how annoying it is to get defeated by a cheater and possibly stop. Unlikely, but not impossible! This could just cause a complete decline in the ammount of people playing the games, as they get fed up with the cheaters, and only the "fittest" cheaters survive. In other words, a large population of the servers would be cheaters. For or against, it is certainly interesting and has so many prospects, good or bad. Personally, I would love to see a special mod released, designated for the cheaters, which unlocks supernatural features, such as complete loss of gravity or lava guns etc. To be fair to the non-cheaters, the cheats could have a time-frame on them, so they can only run for a certain ammount of time before having to re-execute them, or they could do a trial period and a vote at the end, where we could find out once and for all - Are gamers pro-cheating? It would definately spice up games, like it or lump it! A problem with accepting cheaters, is that we would have gangs of cheaters .vs. gangs of non-cheaters and the upper would get a considerable victory. I think that if it was instated and accepted by world-wide gamers, there would have to be terms and conditions for people to abide by, as to stop mass-cheating, which is a big no-no. a way of reducing cheating could be introducing handicaps, which used to be common place in the gaming world in the early 90's. Handicaps wouldn't even be classified as cheats, are they are mediocre at best. Cheating steals hard-sought glory from players that should be allowed to bask in their glory, but it is snatched away by cheaters, who get it easy. There are definitive reasons why people cheat - a lot of it being that they lack the gaming skill that they require. If players were not so fierce and unforgiving, cheaters would be a recluse in the corner.

Cheating can be battled - whether it be hack .vs. hack, or be it by teaming up the cheater and peforating him to pieces, until he is beaten into submission. We can beat the cheaters, or we can accept them. At the end of the day, it is up to us, our friends and gamers worldwide. As I type, online gaming hangs on a thread, a thread, which is waiting to either fall, or be rescued and pulled from the wreckage of the "Titanic", so to speak.

We can make a difference!
Sun 13/01/02 at 18:35
Regular
"Sally On Weekdays!"
BB $co++y / J@zz wrote:
> Nice post there Salevaa, don't know why you admitted your Shaneo, you might get
> banned again now but anyway in with a good chance of winning GAD

Yeh - it probably was like signing my own death warrant, but hopefully this post (along with my 3 previous GAD wins as Salevaa) has proven that I can still go - even better than before!
Sun 13/01/02 at 18:23
Regular
Nice post there Salevaa, don't know why you admitted your Shaneo, you might get banned again now but anyway in with a good chance of winning GAD
Sun 13/01/02 at 11:39
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
What was the point in that big last post Salevaa, now you just admitted that you're Shaneo. I don't mind anyway, I'm just questioning that.
Sun 13/01/02 at 10:13
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Prawn Star wrote:
> I dispise cheating, but I still do it. I don't know why, but if I can't get
> through it myself then I get through it using as little cheats as possible but
> for every cheatm you use you lose so much satisfaction... But what can I do?

Yeah but doing it to proceed with the game is more acceptable than doing it to cheat a better player out of a win on an internet game.
Sun 13/01/02 at 09:25
Regular
"++ Anti Antler ++"
I dispise cheating, but I still do it. I don't know why, but if I can't get through it myself then I get through it using as little cheats as possible but for every cheatm you use you lose so much satisfaction... But what can I do?
Sun 13/01/02 at 09:13
Regular
"Sally On Weekdays!"
"I know this is off subject, but weren't you banned for cheating, Shaun?"

Um no, and my name isn't Shaun.

"Yes god bless them, if it wasn't for them you wouldn't be able to copy paste."

Yes - I agree that copy and paste is a useful feature, but not to be used on these forums.

"So where you getting these topics from Shaneo?"

From my mind, and I am not Shaneo.

"Cheating hehe, you're one to talk, how many times have you been banned for cheating before then?"

I did not cheat with this topic! Need proof? Ask my friend Dave, who saw me write it.

"So you are Shaneo? Hmmm, I had a wee think on that..... and I was right, ah well, never mind. :D"

No - I am not. AJ, don't tell me you're with them on this!? For the past 3 weeks or so, I've just had people nagging me, calling me Shaneo or Shaun or whatever.

"He is Shaneo."

Proof?

"Hmm, this topic seems very familiar. I've read it somewhere recently... aha! Digitiser, a reader feature on online cheating! You didn't rip the idea from there, di you?"

I swear I did not copy this. For one, I don't even read Digitiser, and I think people who copy are stupid. As people were saying it was copied, it was probably just in your head.

"it's almost as lame as cheating to win GAD and who'd be sad enough to even try that once. ahem :)"

I agree.

You don't have to believe that I wrote this, but I did, and that's the end of story. One more thing - I am not Shaneo.
Sun 13/01/02 at 04:19
Regular
"maximum homerdrive"
cheaters pah hate em.

cheating in multi player games is just pointless. you don't get very far doing it really also theres no fun to it really.

it's almost as lame as cheating to win GAD and who'd be sad enough to even try that once. ahem :)
Sat 12/01/02 at 23:09
Hmm, this topic seems very familiar. I've read it somewhere recently... aha! Digitiser, a reader feature on online cheating! You didn't rip the idea from there, di you?
Sat 12/01/02 at 21:32
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
LOL @ Stryke's tagline. Genius! :D
Sat 12/01/02 at 20:46
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Authenticity wrote:
> Authenticity wrote:
> Mr. Nice Guy wrote:
> There are cheats for Red
> Alert 2?!?!?

yep.

and mods that give you things like unlimited money.

Thats funny, i didnt think any of tthe unlimited money mods worked online, only the map reveal. But you do also get map hackers and game washers, which further add to the annoyance.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.