GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Album Recommendation Thread"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 09/07/07 at 10:21
Regular
Right, this is kind of similar to the recommend me thread but I felt like a thread with a specific medium would be more useful. Basically just recommend an album that you want to tell people about including its title, genre, perhaps a link to the cover and give the track listing. I do this on another forum I frequent and it's so useful for discovering new music as long as people don't go too mainstream such as recommending something like The Killers, i.e. bands that pretty much everyone knows already.

To get things started:

Family Force 5 - Business up front, party in the back

Cover

1. "Cadillac Phunque" – 3:27
2. "Kountry Gentleman" – 3:23
3. "X-Girlfriend" – 3:38
4. "Drama Queen" – 3:51
5. "Put Ur Hands Up" – 4:20
6. "Love Addict" – 2:52
7. "Earthquake" – 3:05
8. "Replace Me" – 3:35
9. "Lose Urself" – 3:10
10. "Peachy" – 3:46
11. "Supersonic" – 3:07
12. "Numb" – 3:11

Rocky rappy christian band, can't help but find it catchy though, no doubt many haters of the music but its keeping me entertained lately.

Example - We didn't invent the remix

1. Eyeballs Painted Black F/ The Rolling Stones (Paint It, Black)
2. Loneliness Costs F/ Harry Nilsson (One)
3. One Night F/ José González (Heartbeats)
4. Dead Famous F/ The Streets (When You Wasn't Famous)
5. Vile F/ Lily Allen (Smile)
6. Diamond Day F/ Vashti Bunyan (Diamond Day)
7. Toxic Breath F/ Britney Spears (Toxic)
8. Get Off F/ Prince
9. I Need A Fast Car F/ Tracy Chapman (Fast Car)
10. Bikini Woman F/ Brenda Russel
11. Alone With A TV F/ The Mitchell Brothers (Alone With A TV)
12. The Sell-Out [Bonus]
13. Yes Please! [Bonus]

Can't get a hold of the cover, my mate picked up a copy when he supported The Rifles n lent me it, doesn't seem easy to find an image of it. Genre is rap, although in a similar vein to say, The Streets with a large dose of humour.

The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus - Don't you fake it

Cover

* 1. In Fate's Hands
* 2. Waiting
* 3. False Pretense
* 4. Face Down
* 5. Misery Loves It's Company
* 6. Cat And Mouse
* 7. Damn Regret
* 8. Atrophy
* 9. Seventeen Ain't So Sweet
* 10. Justify
* 11. Your Guardian Angel

Alternative rock is probably the best way to describe this album, upbeat with a good mixture of screaming and clean vocals. Highly recommend hunting down the acoustic version of Face Down as well.

1990s - Cookies

Cover

"Name checked by everyone everyone from Beth from The Gossip, LoveFoxx from CSS, Kate Jackson from The Long Blondes , all of Franz Ferdinand and the new rave revolutionaries Klaxons, Glasgow three piece 1990s have completed their debut album, produced by ex Suede member Bernard Butler. With such glowing indie credentials, its no wonder their Rolling Stones-brand of rock is tipped for the top."

* 1. You Made Me Like It
* 2. See You At The Lights
* 3. Cult Status
* 4. Arcade Precinct
* 5. Is There A Switch For That?
* 6. Enjoying Myself
* 7. You're Supposed To Be My Friend
* 8. Pollokshields
* 9. Risque Pictures
* 10. Weed
* 11. Thinking Of Not Going
* 12. Situation

Really enjoyed this, wanted to see them at the Great escape festival but due to crap audience capacities wasn't able to.
Mon 06/08/07 at 10:30
Regular
"Mooching around"
Chr1s wrote:
> Machine Head - The Blackening
>
> One for you metalheads…if you exist…

I got this today, and it's brilliant! The guitar rifts and solos are unbelievable!

The first song is just amazing.
Sun 05/08/07 at 19:47
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Time for some schooling;

Eulogy for Evolution - Olafur Arnalds
7 Objects in Infinite Space - Wang-wen (lolz)
Lift Your Skinny Fists - Godspeed You! Black Emperor
F#A# - ""
55:12 - Gregor Samsa
Make Another World - Idlewild
Golevka - The Evpatoria Report
The Flowers of Hell - The Flowers of Hell
United by Fate - Rival Schools
Dead Ringer - RJD2
Mr Beast - Mogwai
Young Team - Mogwai
The Low End Theory - A Tribe Called Quest
Everyone Into Position - Oceansize
Two Conversations - The Appleseed Cast
Peace Love Death Metal - Eagles of Death Metal
Bubblegum - Mark Lanegan Band
O Shenandoa, Mighty Death Will Find Me - Sparrows! Swarm and Sing
The Fragile - Nine Inch Nails
Siamese Dream - The Smashing Pumpkins

that's enough godmusic for you.

Oh and Concerto in D/D minor by Vivaldi kk
Sun 05/08/07 at 17:06
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
I heard that it was pretty damn good, but not that awesome, looks like I'll have to check it out.
Sun 05/08/07 at 01:54
Regular
"The definitive tag"
Machine Head - The Blackening

One for you metalheads…if you exist…

1. Clenching the Fists of Dissent - A ten and a half minute display of anti-war brutality. It goes from one of the most epic intros I've ever heard into molten metal riff after riff after riff, and just when you think it's over it launches into one of the heaviest and coolest displays of metal riffing I've ever heard. My personal favourite from the album.

2. Beautiful Mourning - Pure straight up metal this song. The shortest song on the album but it's just pure aggression from start to finish.

3. Aesthetics of Hate - A song written about an article posted on a conservative website by a man named William Grim. The article was called 'Aesthetics of Hate - Goodbye Dimebag and Good Riddance'. Dimebag being Dimebag Darrell, the former Pantera and Damage Plan guitarist who was brutally murdered on stage by a crazed fan in December 2004. The song highlights what a hateful and bull**** article it is, and it's one of the most aggressive things I've ever heard.

4. Now I Lay Thee Down - Probably the most mellow song on the album. It takes you on a five and a half minute ride through slow riffs and mellow vocals and it's got some of the nicest bass work I've ever heard. It's a really nice song to listen to and probably the best for those just getting into metal and Machine Head.

5. Slanderous - A very hard-hitting song. Harsh vocals and blisteringly thick guitar tones. I love it.

6. Halo - Another long song. It's got everything to be honest. Solid steel metal riffing, brilliant guitar harmonies, sublime solos. One of the best songs MH have ever come up with.

7. Wolves - Quite like Slanderous in its approach. It grabs you with a very harsh sound and doesn't let you go. Reminds me a lot of a lot of the older Metallica stuff. It's probably the thrashiest song on the album.

8. A Farewell to Arms - It doesn't have the pace of a lot of the other songs on the album, but it doesn't matter because it has possibly the heaviest guitar tone I've ever heard in my life. It reminds me of some death metal stuff in some ways, but it's just on another level. A perfect way to end the album.

9. Battery (Metallica cover) - Something that they threw in for the people who never managed to get hold of Kerrang's 20th anniversary celebration of Metallica's 1986 album 'Master of Puppets'. It's a tremendous cover of a tremendous song.

To sum up, it's the best thing I've heard in a very, very long time. Probably the best thing I've heard since I first heard a Metallica song, and it's the most important metal album since Master of Puppets. If you buy one metal album this year, then it should be The Blackening.
Thu 02/08/07 at 18:20
Regular
Kate Nash - Made of Bricks

* 1. Play
* 2. Foundations
* 3. Mouthwash
* 4. D*ckhead
* 5. Birds
* 6. We Get On
* 7. Mariella
* 8. Sh*t Song (Interlude) / Sh*t Song
* 9. Pumpkin Soup
* 10. Skeleton Song
* 11. Nicest Thing
* 12. Merry Happy / Little Red

Not finished listening to this yet but I'm definatly going to recommend it anyway :] Love the girl and so gutted I missed her at the Great Escape Festival, will have to see her live at some point. Is quite amusing that the Jose Vanders EP that I just ordered comes with some free badges, one of which reads, "Nash is whack", definatly not, Jose Vanders is lucky she's awesome!
Thu 12/07/07 at 01:14
"LOLLERSKATES!"
My recommendation is my favourite album. The album revolutionised British music, a band many have compared to the strokes. In fact, Mick Jones sproduced their second album. This is their first album. This album was released in 2002, straight after their Double A side single, 'What A Waster' and 'I Get Along'

The Libertines consisted of:

Peter Doherty
Carlos Barat
John Hassall
Gary Powell

Pete is now with Babyshambles, Carl and Gary formed Dirty Pretty Things, and John Hassall is in Yeti. The band also had Johnny Borrell, but he left the band and is now with Razorlight. The lesser known 'Scarbborough' Steve was also in the band.

The Libertines - Up The Bracket

1. Vertigo

A brilliant song and a great way to start off the album. One of their best songs, Pete and Carl share the vocals brilliantly, it's a catchy tune and very likeable.

2. Death on the Stairs

The greatest song, ever. The first half of the song is sung by Carl, and the second half by Pete. The lyrics are poetic and inspiring and the way they sung it live was masterful, the image of the two sharing the mic hangs on my wall.

3. Horrorshow

Horrorshow had the unfortunate pleasure of following on from The Libertines greatest song. This is a very loud, rock 'n roll type song, ti would remind a lot of people of The Clash.

4. Time for Heroes

A slower, romantic song. This is the sort of song to show to people that go on about Pete's drug addiction. The lyrics are once again top notch, and the video is superb too.

5. Boys in the Band

A great song for parties, this song is great to play when jumping around. The lyrics are very fun and catchy, and the lyrics are both hilarious and brilliant. This song epitomises what it's like to be young.

6. Radio America

Erm, this is perhaps one of the more forgettable songs on the album, although that isn't a slur, this is still a decent enough song, it's just surrounded by greatness.

7. Up the Bracket

Up The Bracket, the song with the same title as the album, is also a very loud rock 'n roll song, just like Horrorshow. It starts off with a loud yell by Pete and Carl, and turns into a truly phenomenal song.

8. Tell The King

Like Time For Heroes, this is another one of the slower and more romantic songs on the album. This is a song for everyone, I can't think of anyone who could find a fault with it. It's poetic and beautiful, just a great song.

9. The Boy Looked at Johnny

I can't exactly remembered were the name comes from, I can with the rest of the songs, for example 'Death On the Stairs' was Pete and Carl's idea of going all out and what failure would be like. This is a loud and energetic song, it brings out the darker side of the band.

10. Begging

Begging is another one of those songs that passes ou by amidst the brilliance of some of the other songs on the album, but it really is a great song. It's exactly what you'd think it is about, a poor man alone on Londons street. Once again Pete's phenomenal song-writing skills are portrayed here.

11. The Good Old Days

The song that Pete and Carl wrote when they deep down they knew someday they would be apart. It portrays the message 'The Arcadian Dream Has Fallen Through, But The Albion Sails On Course' - Which are the lyrics. It's what those who love The Libertines can only understand. It's also brilliantly written, superb again.

12. I Get Along

This song is basically all about Carl, it was released as a Double A side with What A Waster, their first single. It's his song, he sung it, wrote it, and it gave us a glimpse of what the band would be like when Pete went Awol. A great tune.

In conclusion, listen to this album. I know several Libertines fans, and they're a band that you can't just like, those who like The Libertines thionk they're the greatest band ever. Yo know what, they're absolutely write.

Man that was knackering!
Wed 11/07/07 at 22:11
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
I've not heard much from Gallows, but they seem to be pretty good, so they're one band I'm looking forward to seeing at Reading this year, along with Municipal Waste and Gogol Bordello. (And damn Download's scheduling!)

Anything I'm going to recommend? Aye!

Sabbat - Dreamweaver (Reflections of our Yesterdays)

1. The Beginning of the End (Intro) 0:36
2. The Clerical Conspiracy 5:38
3. Advent of Insanity 2:26
4. Do Dark Horses Dream of Nightmares? 6:23
5. The Best of Enemies 8:13
6. How Have the Mighty Fallen? 8:17
7. Wildfire 4:38
8. Mythistory 6:47
9. Happy Never After (Outro) 1:02

This was re-released a month or two back, and it's a true classic Thrash Metal album; the songs truly twist and turn around, with brilliant (Albeit crackpot) lyrics about the struggle between Pagans and Christian Missionaries. Apparently a big influence on CoF, but all that matters is that it's a damn good listen.
Wed 11/07/07 at 18:57
Regular
Gallows are absolutely immense. If you've not seen them live bloody do it! They're easily one of the best live bands around despite being relatively new to the mainstream, such an awesome show. Think I'll have to check out Kid Dynamite.
Wed 11/07/07 at 17:12
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
Hmm... I might give the Gallows album another go. Sounded a lot like The Bronx, Vaux and a few others on first listen but maybe worth persevering.

I'm going to go for some slightly more melodic hardcore! Kid Dynamite are catchier but influenced by the classic 80s hardcore sound (Minor Threat, The Desendants, Gorrila Biscuits etc.). There are lots of similar bands like Lifetime and the early Movielife stuff, but Kid Dynamite are just so much fun. Perfect to cheer me up when everyone's moaning about the new forum layout ;)

Artist: Kid Dynamite
Album: Shorter, Faster, Louder

The fist three tracks will give you a pretty good idea of the sound...

1. Pits And Poisoned Apples
2. Death And Taxes
3. Cheap Shot
Wed 11/07/07 at 16:38
Regular
"Lets Rock n Roll"
The first album im going to recommend is for anyone who is into punk or hardcore punk. the band is called Gallows, they are still fairly new still, but have an ever increasing fanbase. Their music is really intense and hard hitting, lol might not be everyone's cup of tea.

Artist: Gallows
Album: Orchestra Of Wolves

Song Titles:
1. Kill the Rhythm
2. Come Friendly Bombs
3. Abandon Ship
4. In The Belly Of A Shark
5. Six Years
6. Rolling With The Punches
7. Last Fight For the Living Dead
8. Just because you sleep next to me doesn't mean your safe
9. Will someone shoot that F***** snake
10. Stay Cold
11. I promise this wont hurt
12. Orchestra Of Wolves

Click Here for Album Cover

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.