GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] Battlefield 3"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Battlefield 3'.
Sun 04/12/11 at 12:56
Regular
"Hello?"
Battlefield 3, it’s here! With another title in the FPS genre released what has this little bundle of violence got to offer that’s unique? In short it’s the best of the battlefield editions to date.

The multiplayer world has taken off in the last five years and it is titles like this that keep it going. I remember playing battlefield online on my PlayStation 2, thinking it was so amazing. Online gaming on the consoles hadn’t really taken off at that point but battlefield was still there. Albeit only a little community compared to the pc gamers with their superior graphics and larger maps. The seed had been planted many years ago and now the latest edition is here to dazzle us.

I’m always dubious about the single player mode on FPS’s and even more so with this title due to having such a massive online following. Unfortunately the single player does not have the gripping story you’d have hoped for nor does it leave you craving for more. It’s a little disappointing and just merely ‘ok’. It just feels a little boring and it seems quite evident that this part of the game was not the main focus. It’s a shame but if I’m being honest I didn’t have my heart set on finding gaming bliss with the one player.

So if the single player is just mediocre then the multiplayer is surely where the money is? Oh yes. So first things first what type of soldier are you going to be?
When choosing your desired soldier class, you have got a basic decision to make. Do you want to be a sniper lusting for that one mile headshot, or are you more of a shotgun to the head kind of player and fancy the engineer class? Everyone needs a health patch up in the chaos of the battlefield and the support class is there to aid. The assault class is the last of the options and is there for the frontline soldiers amongst you, equipped with a defibrillator to revive your downed teammates it’s an all round great class.

What I love about the customizing section of the weapon kits is that there is such a huge range of customizable options, so you can choose what works for you. You are able to pick up another class mid game off of a fallen enemy, so if you fancy a change that options there for you.

Need a bigger……..gun? Well there are several vehicles equipped with rockets cannons, Gatling guns and such like. The vehicles add another dimension to the game. You can take to the skies in a jet or a chopper or just cruise along the coastline in you own little speedboat.

The maps, wow. It’s usually all about the battle for me, looking around the map thinking ‘where’s that **** shooting me from?’. Numerous times a sniper has had a nice easy shot at my head due to me admiring the beauty of the graphical detail and how pristine it looks. The maps are enormous depending of what type of game mode you are playing. If you’ve played the previous battlefield game bad company you’ll have had first hand experience with the frostbite engine. The majority of the map is destructible so when you’re hiding behind a building hoping that a tank wont be able to get you, think again. It’s a great feature of the game and emphasizes on the realism of war.

You’ll be pleased to hear there are a few different game modes to keeps things interesting. The first of the modes is Conquest, a domination game to control territory. Another mode is called Rush; you will either be defending the objectives or trying to destroy them, a great game mode where the map expands once objectives have been destroyed. The are also smaller game modes such as team deathmatch and squad deathmatch. Another great feature is the ability to play on hardcore servers, this adds to the realism of the game. Bullets do more damage so there are not as many nutters running across the battlefield, people’s playing style seems to be a bit more cautious on these servers.

So what sets this title apart from Call of Duty? To be honest there is one major difference for me and it comes down to your own playing style. Battlefield will offer you a fantastic modern warfare shooter with huge maps, mesmerizing scenery and style of gameplay that is touching more on the realism of the battlefield. Call of Duty is a slightly different take on the first person shooter; it’s in your face. It’s like a 7-year-old child who’s been fueled with a bag of skittles. It’s frantic, chaotic and a touch clumsy.

I genuinely do rate this game very highly however there is one issue that hasn’t been sorted from battlefield bad company 2 and I can’t understand why. It’s the option to exit to the main menu when finishing a round online…. It is nonsensical that you have to enter the next round and then exit at that point!

If you’re a previous battlefield fan you will not be disappointed with this edition, its online play is brilliant. Keeping you hooked for hours and hours. However if you’re not looking to play this online and are solely after the 1 player mode, then I’d just rent it or wait until it drops in price.

Overall I’d give the game an 8.5/10, the multiplayer is all there it’s just missing that wow factor in the single player.
Sun 04/12/11 at 14:51
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
A very readable and informative review Black8704 :¬)

For me (on the PC) the single-player campaign was a big improvement on past BF SP's and one which I found quite enjoyable and story-driven.
BF3 MP (PC again) is still suffering from 'server' problems - we've just had a large patch and now another is announced for Tuesday! The mp game crashes on every initial joining of a server but then a quick reconnection will work ... this appears to be a common problem in PC land!
MP options are vast, but perhaps too many to be useful. Character selection and loadout are still only available when you've actually joined a server and if you're not quick in making your selections ... you've missed the vehicle, so to speak! ... so make do with what you've got until you're killed.
Too much can be said about the BF3 multi-player experience, but for me the excitement and enthusiasm has disappeared perhaps due to the 'grind effect' between each ranking-up!
Sun 04/12/11 at 12:56
Regular
"Hello?"
Battlefield 3, it’s here! With another title in the FPS genre released what has this little bundle of violence got to offer that’s unique? In short it’s the best of the battlefield editions to date.

The multiplayer world has taken off in the last five years and it is titles like this that keep it going. I remember playing battlefield online on my PlayStation 2, thinking it was so amazing. Online gaming on the consoles hadn’t really taken off at that point but battlefield was still there. Albeit only a little community compared to the pc gamers with their superior graphics and larger maps. The seed had been planted many years ago and now the latest edition is here to dazzle us.

I’m always dubious about the single player mode on FPS’s and even more so with this title due to having such a massive online following. Unfortunately the single player does not have the gripping story you’d have hoped for nor does it leave you craving for more. It’s a little disappointing and just merely ‘ok’. It just feels a little boring and it seems quite evident that this part of the game was not the main focus. It’s a shame but if I’m being honest I didn’t have my heart set on finding gaming bliss with the one player.

So if the single player is just mediocre then the multiplayer is surely where the money is? Oh yes. So first things first what type of soldier are you going to be?
When choosing your desired soldier class, you have got a basic decision to make. Do you want to be a sniper lusting for that one mile headshot, or are you more of a shotgun to the head kind of player and fancy the engineer class? Everyone needs a health patch up in the chaos of the battlefield and the support class is there to aid. The assault class is the last of the options and is there for the frontline soldiers amongst you, equipped with a defibrillator to revive your downed teammates it’s an all round great class.

What I love about the customizing section of the weapon kits is that there is such a huge range of customizable options, so you can choose what works for you. You are able to pick up another class mid game off of a fallen enemy, so if you fancy a change that options there for you.

Need a bigger……..gun? Well there are several vehicles equipped with rockets cannons, Gatling guns and such like. The vehicles add another dimension to the game. You can take to the skies in a jet or a chopper or just cruise along the coastline in you own little speedboat.

The maps, wow. It’s usually all about the battle for me, looking around the map thinking ‘where’s that **** shooting me from?’. Numerous times a sniper has had a nice easy shot at my head due to me admiring the beauty of the graphical detail and how pristine it looks. The maps are enormous depending of what type of game mode you are playing. If you’ve played the previous battlefield game bad company you’ll have had first hand experience with the frostbite engine. The majority of the map is destructible so when you’re hiding behind a building hoping that a tank wont be able to get you, think again. It’s a great feature of the game and emphasizes on the realism of war.

You’ll be pleased to hear there are a few different game modes to keeps things interesting. The first of the modes is Conquest, a domination game to control territory. Another mode is called Rush; you will either be defending the objectives or trying to destroy them, a great game mode where the map expands once objectives have been destroyed. The are also smaller game modes such as team deathmatch and squad deathmatch. Another great feature is the ability to play on hardcore servers, this adds to the realism of the game. Bullets do more damage so there are not as many nutters running across the battlefield, people’s playing style seems to be a bit more cautious on these servers.

So what sets this title apart from Call of Duty? To be honest there is one major difference for me and it comes down to your own playing style. Battlefield will offer you a fantastic modern warfare shooter with huge maps, mesmerizing scenery and style of gameplay that is touching more on the realism of the battlefield. Call of Duty is a slightly different take on the first person shooter; it’s in your face. It’s like a 7-year-old child who’s been fueled with a bag of skittles. It’s frantic, chaotic and a touch clumsy.

I genuinely do rate this game very highly however there is one issue that hasn’t been sorted from battlefield bad company 2 and I can’t understand why. It’s the option to exit to the main menu when finishing a round online…. It is nonsensical that you have to enter the next round and then exit at that point!

If you’re a previous battlefield fan you will not be disappointed with this edition, its online play is brilliant. Keeping you hooked for hours and hours. However if you’re not looking to play this online and are solely after the 1 player mode, then I’d just rent it or wait until it drops in price.

Overall I’d give the game an 8.5/10, the multiplayer is all there it’s just missing that wow factor in the single player.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.