GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"3D or not 3D : The Freeola Poll"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 25/11/11 at 08:23
Regular
"I like turtles"
Following on from the discussion in the General Thread thought it would be interesting to do a quick poll of who on here has/intends to invest in 3D technology and who doesn't.

Are you? :

A: I already own (or intend to purchase) 3D technology and it is amazing, I just can't wait to see which cinematic masterpiece is going to be crudely doctored next. Citizen Kane in 3D?, count me in.

B: Not at all interested, 3D is a cheap and nasty gimmick. Doesn't matter how many dimensions I view The Green Lantern in, it still sucked. Besides, there's sod all wrong with my full HD plasma, picture is awesome and I don't have to wear glasses to watch it.

C: 3D is alright, not really bothered either way TBH. If I do decide to upgrade my AV equipment may as well go for it. If I don't use it then it doesn't really matter.

D: I hereby declare that the creator of this poll is so awesome that I will gladly donate any future GAD wins to him. Once this option has been selected it cannot be retracted and is legally binding.

I'll start, B
Sun 18/03/12 at 22:55
Regular
When playing 3DS, I prefer to play in 3D...but only because the picture quality does look that little bit better.

On my HD TV I do not feel I am missing out by not having 3D...and I wont pay extra to see a movie in 3D at the cinema.

I'm not bothered by 3D at all. It's probably only a step or two away from holographic technology, but is that really what we want? Some people may want holographic adult movies, but unless you're somewhere in private, holographic technology is going to be without privacy...
Wed 14/03/12 at 20:56
Regular
anyone have a 3ds
Wed 04/01/12 at 02:44
Regular
"8==="
Bribery eh?
Mon 05/12/11 at 05:12
Regular
If 3D isn't your thing, what about 4K?
Wed 30/11/11 at 18:15
Regular
"How Ironic"
pete_21 wrote:
After 1 day the poll is looking like:

A: No votes so far, perhaps when this hits cinema screens in Feb 2012 then that might win over some doubters? I'm planning on giving it a miss myself but some peeps must surely be looking forward to seeing how the once great Mr. Lucas can polish that t**d simply by giving it an extra dimension. If he could remove Hayden Christensen's terrible acting from episodes 2 & 3 then suppose I would be at least slightly interested.

If he could remove Hayden Christensen from episodes 2 & 3. I think that's what you meant.

;-)
Sun 27/11/11 at 18:16
Regular
"I like turtles"
Hmmm... wrote:
TThhiiss iiss ttuurrnniinngg ouutt ttoo bbee aann iinntteerreessttiinngg tthhrreeaadd!!

[s]HHmmmmmm...[/s]

Ha ha :)

pb, no this poll was not set up seriously, just a bit of fun really. Seems to have got a few of us on here chatting though so that's good. Surprised there aren't at least a few 3D fans on here TBH.

Regarding Curry's, my mate went to buy a pc from them last year and asked the assistant if it had a firewire port. The salesperson admitted that he did not actually know what a firewire port looked like so he turned the tower round and asked my friend if he could see one!
Sun 27/11/11 at 18:14
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Can't see that Hmmm...it's in 3D :ŹD
Sun 27/11/11 at 18:00
"Are you sure?"
TThhiiss iiss ttuurrnniinngg ouutt ttoo bbee aann iinntteerreessttiinngg tthhrreeaadd!!

[s]HHmmmmmm...[/s]
Sun 27/11/11 at 17:04
"possibly impossible"
pete_21 wrote:
Dr. Garin wrote:
[i]What might be interesting is to compare answers in 5-10 years. I actually looked at the old HD discussions on here from several years ago. I think its fair comment to say attitudes have changed. And the same will probably happen with 3D, it'll gain greater acceptance. Alot of technology now has to cope with consumer cynicism. Those evil corporations trying to make money and selling us things we dont want. So the starting position is always its rubbish/pointless etc.. A good example is tablets, look at how quickly attitudes have changed to those.

Or 3D could just be the next SACD/DVD-Audio/Mini Disc? I can remember reading articles stating each of these formats would take over from the good old audio CD. Yet all 3 came, consumers didn't seem interested and they died (regardless of how good Curry's staff may have thought they were). I have had 2 DVD players capable of playing SACD and yet I have never thought of buying a single SACD disc, doubt I'm in a minority either.

Smartphones on the other hand have grown massively in popularity in recent times and I reckon consumers see tablets as basically big smartphones. I'm not all that surprised they have become so popular TBH.[/i]

You can't compare 3D to a format though, it isn't a format, it's an 'add-on'. That's not to say that is can't 'fail', if by failing you mean that companies will stop making hardware that supports it.

I would say millions of people in the UK have 3D hardware thanks to Nintendo, many of Sony's new PS3 games and a fair few 360 games are now in 3D, gaming is driving the home market for 3D more than films, especially with Sony's cut price Playstation TV coming out and the other TVs that can use the 3D to play 2 player games with one screen showing 2 totally different pictures.

What will be interesting is to see what happens to the next generation of handhelds and home consoles and see if 3D is supported by them.

I mentioned the Currys staff as a joke (I actually did go in Currys and ask them about it, but they're obviously going to be biased) partly to show that a single source for any poll will be skewed somewhat, but then I realise the whole thing is tongue in cheek anyway.

Films are an odd case because 3D doesn't do as much to enhance them as it does with games and it's all down to how the director uses the 3D in the movie. There ARE plenty of films that used 3D as a sales gimmick (I think Clash of the Titans was the first of the modern 3D films to use it as an afterthought). But then there are films where it worked (Avatar, Toy Story 3, even the last Harry Potter, which used it sparingly).
Sun 27/11/11 at 09:19
Regular
"I like turtles"
Dr. Garin wrote:
What might be interesting is to compare answers in 5-10 years. I actually looked at the old HD discussions on here from several years ago. I think its fair comment to say attitudes have changed. And the same will probably happen with 3D, it'll gain greater acceptance. Alot of technology now has to cope with consumer cynicism. Those evil corporations trying to make money and selling us things we dont want. So the starting position is always its rubbish/pointless etc.. A good example is tablets, look at how quickly attitudes have changed to those.

Or 3D could just be the next SACD/DVD-Audio/Mini Disc? I can remember reading articles stating each of these formats would take over from the good old audio CD. Yet all 3 came, consumers didn't seem interested and they died (regardless of how good Curry's staff may have thought they were). I have had 2 DVD players capable of playing SACD and yet I have never thought of buying a single SACD disc, doubt I'm in a minority either.

Smartphones on the other hand have grown massively in popularity in recent times and I reckon consumers see tablets as basically big smartphones. I'm not all that surprised they have become so popular TBH.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.