GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"New Super Mario Bros. Wii"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'New Super Mario Bros'.
Tue 16/08/11 at 20:00
Regular
New Super Mario Bros. Wii is, to put it quite bluntly, genius! Never have my friends and I played a game that combines such mayhem, mischief and mastery so well and in so finely crafted a game.

'It's only Mario', you might argue. If you've played one, you've played them all? Wrong. Despite the familiar settings and scenery and quintessentially 2D Mario 8-world setup, New Super Mario Bros. Wii strides ahead of previous incarnations in the franchise with the addition of multiplayer! That's right, 4-characters, one screen!

The multiplayer element was always going to cause some furor, of course. Mario has always been largely single-player and at the times it pushed the multiplayer boat out it was a 'take-it-in-turns' effort! But having 4 players on one screen has, for me, pushed NSMBW right onto the podium of Mario games. The cut-throat world of popping other players bubbles - you can hit A if you think you're about to die - has caused umpteen arguments at (what WAS) HALO Night!

The madness is compounded further when a fast, frantic and particularly perilous section of any given level pops up. Not only is it a fight for survival, but there are often times when keeping your teammates alive (as is the true objective - our sessions are somewhat counter-operative to Shigsy's intentions!) is the only way to survive yourself!

The game looks gorgeous and has that incomparable weight to the movement that you've come to expect and love with Mario games. For multiplayer it's remarkable, as for single-player, I couldn't tell you. The multiplayer aspect of the game was such a draw for us that we made it a priority at HALO Nights to complete the game AND THEN rerun the whole thing to collect the gold coins!

We've had so much fun as a group with NSMBW that I can't help but recommend it. It's been out a while now, so perhaps you've just happened on this review by chance or you're new to gaming. Either way, from one human being with a love of great gaming to another, I wholeheartedly recommend this game. If you can find, snatch, steal or employ 3 other people to play it with you, everything else will fade into the background for quite a while!

Enjoy! :D
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Tue 16/08/11 at 20:00
Regular
New Super Mario Bros. Wii is, to put it quite bluntly, genius! Never have my friends and I played a game that combines such mayhem, mischief and mastery so well and in so finely crafted a game.

'It's only Mario', you might argue. If you've played one, you've played them all? Wrong. Despite the familiar settings and scenery and quintessentially 2D Mario 8-world setup, New Super Mario Bros. Wii strides ahead of previous incarnations in the franchise with the addition of multiplayer! That's right, 4-characters, one screen!

The multiplayer element was always going to cause some furor, of course. Mario has always been largely single-player and at the times it pushed the multiplayer boat out it was a 'take-it-in-turns' effort! But having 4 players on one screen has, for me, pushed NSMBW right onto the podium of Mario games. The cut-throat world of popping other players bubbles - you can hit A if you think you're about to die - has caused umpteen arguments at (what WAS) HALO Night!

The madness is compounded further when a fast, frantic and particularly perilous section of any given level pops up. Not only is it a fight for survival, but there are often times when keeping your teammates alive (as is the true objective - our sessions are somewhat counter-operative to Shigsy's intentions!) is the only way to survive yourself!

The game looks gorgeous and has that incomparable weight to the movement that you've come to expect and love with Mario games. For multiplayer it's remarkable, as for single-player, I couldn't tell you. The multiplayer aspect of the game was such a draw for us that we made it a priority at HALO Nights to complete the game AND THEN rerun the whole thing to collect the gold coins!

We've had so much fun as a group with NSMBW that I can't help but recommend it. It's been out a while now, so perhaps you've just happened on this review by chance or you're new to gaming. Either way, from one human being with a love of great gaming to another, I wholeheartedly recommend this game. If you can find, snatch, steal or employ 3 other people to play it with you, everything else will fade into the background for quite a while!

Enjoy! :D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.