GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Throwing Tradition Out Of The Window!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 13/12/01 at 07:33
Regular
Are traditional games being replaced by videogames? First of all, let me ask you this: What was wrong with e-mail replacing the traditional way of writing letters? What was wrong with CDs replacing cassette tapes? What then, was ever wrong with computer word-proccessing programs and a printer replacing pen and paper? Exactly, even though we can see some flaws with the things above, we now today widely accept these things as fine, normal, cool, OK, etc...

So what about the "Mario replacing Hide and Seek" problem then? We can say that kids who play videogames too much don't get enough excercise due to the lack of running. In a recent survey, overweight children from a certain school were asked why they are the way they are and their primary answer was due to playing videogames. That's one thing. Then again, a survey has said that certain videogames can increase a child's IQ, possibly due to the puzzle-based gameplay of some of them. So are we going to go over the "Brains over Brawn" matter now? No, but read on more before we get to an answer...

Let's look at the "traditional games" then...

I remember playing "Hide and Seek" years ago and I'll admit I had so much fun playing these that I become very, very sad when the game ends and we all go home. Then when I was 10, I stopped playing these games, why? Well one things I can tell you is that it got boring soon as none of my apparently "grown-up" friends were playing it anymore. Their excuse was that they've grown too old for it. Well let's look at the situation now, 6-9 year olds no longer playing Hide and Seek, Chess or Cards? Yeah, it's not unheard of, but guess why? Yes, you got it right, they want to play videogames instead! Do you want the reason why they do this though? No, it's not mainly because of videogames, but due to kids growing up too fast. What many people are sadly forgetting is that videogames are now considered as "cool". It's no longer limited to the possibly overweight geek you've heard so many stories of (no offence intended to anybody). Small kids today are still growing up, they need grown-ups to tell them what's right and wrong, and what they can do. Older brothers and sisters can be a good influence, the small child can possibly follow everything the older brother/sister does and may follow on it. This can include having mobile phones and playing VIDEOGAMES. Though not neccesarily older brothers and sisters, the list of influencial people in a developing child's life can include friends and other family members as well. To the small child's eyes, the older person can be considered as the "coolest person in the world!" (Considering they would have picked up the words as well). They'll find out soon enough that doing what the "coolest person in the world!" does is going to give them the attention and popularity they want in school from their peers.

That's one thing, but there's another reason for children to no longer play "traditional" games". Again, it's not mainly the videogaming world's fault. See that big box those kids look at? Yes, that box, the one that glows, the one kids look at, the one where they laugh at, the one they probably say something short to for no apparent reason... Yes, it's the influence of T.V.! Adverts, movies, T.V. shows, these things all control the child's mind (OK, maybe not control, but it does influence them). Not only does the adverts persuade them to play videogames (not that there's many of them anyways), but it also takes a lot of time from them, but this has no relation to videogames as they're just watching The Simpsons or Friends, instead of shooting the living you-know-what out of the horrible ugly green alien.

I think that "traditional games" will be replaced by (but not because) of videogames. One of the problems is that the grown-ups themselves don't even have time to play board games with their kids anymore, due to work. All they do is leave the kids to play without anybody fun to play with. I don't think they realise how boring it can get for the child without them to play with. Next time, they should wonder if they should buy a "family-orientated" board game from Toys 'R' Us ever. Another reason would be that it's not considered "cool" by the standards of the kids anymore. The fact that it's also not as fun as playing videogames anymore is a key factor. Remember that we all play games for the fun of it, not just because it helps us "go out more" and get more excercised or increase our IQ. Besides, schools have sports anyways, and if your child go to sports clubs in week-ends, they at least deserve a 2-hour videogame session or they'll end up getting very bored.

So what conclusion have I come up to? I think that videogames is probably replacing "traditional games", but not in a bad way some people think. People are still becoming sceptical about this change, as were people when CDs first came out. Change can lead to good or bad things, but if it's bad, it will only be short-lived (Like GM foods.). We can accept or not accept the fact that children will be playing videogames more than traditional games, but we can't just deny them the enjoyment of whichever type of game they choose. We can perhaps help them more into choosing the good path by getting more involved into the activities (Or in this topic's case: traditional games or videogames) they'll find most fun with you: the parents. I find it very disappointing in these days some parents work long hours and come home tired, with their children only left to be entertained with just a machine...

If still this hasn't convinced you that traditional games are going to be replaced with videogames in a good way, then read this: If you want to play Hide and Seek in the fields or in your sufficiently large backyard, you don't want rain over your head do you? Do you want to be running around wearing thick coats as well? Yeah, I thought so too...
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Thu 13/12/01 at 07:33
Regular
"Fat Red-Capped Vale"
Are traditional games being replaced by videogames? First of all, let me ask you this: What was wrong with e-mail replacing the traditional way of writing letters? What was wrong with CDs replacing cassette tapes? What then, was ever wrong with computer word-proccessing programs and a printer replacing pen and paper? Exactly, even though we can see some flaws with the things above, we now today widely accept these things as fine, normal, cool, OK, etc...

So what about the "Mario replacing Hide and Seek" problem then? We can say that kids who play videogames too much don't get enough excercise due to the lack of running. In a recent survey, overweight children from a certain school were asked why they are the way they are and their primary answer was due to playing videogames. That's one thing. Then again, a survey has said that certain videogames can increase a child's IQ, possibly due to the puzzle-based gameplay of some of them. So are we going to go over the "Brains over Brawn" matter now? No, but read on more before we get to an answer...

Let's look at the "traditional games" then...

I remember playing "Hide and Seek" years ago and I'll admit I had so much fun playing these that I become very, very sad when the game ends and we all go home. Then when I was 10, I stopped playing these games, why? Well one things I can tell you is that it got boring soon as none of my apparently "grown-up" friends were playing it anymore. Their excuse was that they've grown too old for it. Well let's look at the situation now, 6-9 year olds no longer playing Hide and Seek, Chess or Cards? Yeah, it's not unheard of, but guess why? Yes, you got it right, they want to play videogames instead! Do you want the reason why they do this though? No, it's not mainly because of videogames, but due to kids growing up too fast. What many people are sadly forgetting is that videogames are now considered as "cool". It's no longer limited to the possibly overweight geek you've heard so many stories of (no offence intended to anybody). Small kids today are still growing up, they need grown-ups to tell them what's right and wrong, and what they can do. Older brothers and sisters can be a good influence, the small child can possibly follow everything the older brother/sister does and may follow on it. This can include having mobile phones and playing VIDEOGAMES. Though not neccesarily older brothers and sisters, the list of influencial people in a developing child's life can include friends and other family members as well. To the small child's eyes, the older person can be considered as the "coolest person in the world!" (Considering they would have picked up the words as well). They'll find out soon enough that doing what the "coolest person in the world!" does is going to give them the attention and popularity they want in school from their peers.

That's one thing, but there's another reason for children to no longer play "traditional" games". Again, it's not mainly the videogaming world's fault. See that big box those kids look at? Yes, that box, the one that glows, the one kids look at, the one where they laugh at, the one they probably say something short to for no apparent reason... Yes, it's the influence of T.V.! Adverts, movies, T.V. shows, these things all control the child's mind (OK, maybe not control, but it does influence them). Not only does the adverts persuade them to play videogames (not that there's many of them anyways), but it also takes a lot of time from them, but this has no relation to videogames as they're just watching The Simpsons or Friends, instead of shooting the living you-know-what out of the horrible ugly green alien.

I think that "traditional games" will be replaced by (but not because) of videogames. One of the problems is that the grown-ups themselves don't even have time to play board games with their kids anymore, due to work. All they do is leave the kids to play without anybody fun to play with. I don't think they realise how boring it can get for the child without them to play with. Next time, they should wonder if they should buy a "family-orientated" board game from Toys 'R' Us ever. Another reason would be that it's not considered "cool" by the standards of the kids anymore. The fact that it's also not as fun as playing videogames anymore is a key factor. Remember that we all play games for the fun of it, not just because it helps us "go out more" and get more excercised or increase our IQ. Besides, schools have sports anyways, and if your child go to sports clubs in week-ends, they at least deserve a 2-hour videogame session or they'll end up getting very bored.

So what conclusion have I come up to? I think that videogames is probably replacing "traditional games", but not in a bad way some people think. People are still becoming sceptical about this change, as were people when CDs first came out. Change can lead to good or bad things, but if it's bad, it will only be short-lived (Like GM foods.). We can accept or not accept the fact that children will be playing videogames more than traditional games, but we can't just deny them the enjoyment of whichever type of game they choose. We can perhaps help them more into choosing the good path by getting more involved into the activities (Or in this topic's case: traditional games or videogames) they'll find most fun with you: the parents. I find it very disappointing in these days some parents work long hours and come home tired, with their children only left to be entertained with just a machine...

If still this hasn't convinced you that traditional games are going to be replaced with videogames in a good way, then read this: If you want to play Hide and Seek in the fields or in your sufficiently large backyard, you don't want rain over your head do you? Do you want to be running around wearing thick coats as well? Yeah, I thought so too...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.