GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] Fallout: New Vegas"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Fallout: New Vegas'.
Tue 15/03/11 at 20:01
Regular
The post apocalyptic and desolate world of Fallout is back, and whilst not a direct sequel of Fallout 3, it is set in the same world and uses the same game engine. New Vegas is set in the year 2281, which is 4 years after the events of Fallout 3 and has certain aspects to the game linking up nicely to previous events. In New Vegas you are playing a courier, who has quite literally, been pulled from the grave. The opening cut scene to the game shows a mysterious man seemingly shooting you point blank in the head, however moments later you are coming to in a Doctor's house after somehow recovering from this previous shooting. If you played Fallout 3 you will immediately come to grips with the game's interface and controls, as they don't differ much at all from the first game.

After carrying out the expected customisation of your character you are thrown into the world, although given a nice start in a 'tutorial' type town where friendly characters will demonstrate how to shoot, kill some relatively easy but dangerous animals, and even pick plants and fruit. You will immediately pick up your first side quests, and even have your first big fight with some angry locals showing you from the outset that this is no friendly world and everyone has to watch their step across the wastelands.

As the title of the game suggests, this is set in a Las Vegas world complete with Mojave desert, and if you've played Fallout 3 you will immediately be impressed by how fancy New Vegas is, complete with it's abundance of electricity thanks to a certain Hoover Dam, currently controlled by the New California Republic. Quite early on you start to learn about the various factions and groups through out New Vegas with the main players being the New California Republic (NCR), Caesar's Legion, and the mysterious Mr. House. Other factions will pop up along the way, all with their own weird and wonderful views of the way the world should be, and you will find yourself making opinions of each group quite early on.

As you make your way across the Mojave Desert completing quests and exploring towns and old structures, you will also pick up companions. These can be either human, or robot, and will follow you and assist you when fighting off enemies though they do demand help with their own personal quests too. Companions become rather handy and essential in the later stages of the game as the quests become harder, and your ability to complete certain quests will depend on how high you have levelled yourself up. You can't steam through the main quests in Fallout, but why would you, when there's a whole ream of people with side quests from the simple to the extreme with various rewards to give you in return. As you level up, you can also choose from a range of Perks, enabling you to do anything from carrying more inventory, or making the wasteland that bit more crazy and experience some rather unusual things during your game play.

Through out the game you will come across a multitude of weapons, apparel, aid and most importantly... finance clipboards. Well OK, not really, but there is also a lot of 'junk' items and these mysterious clipboards aren't all as you will also come across soda bottles, toy car's and ruined books. I personally love to pick up everything and anything, and quite often find myself 'over encumbered' that is, I am carrying far too much stuff that my character is unable to move. I find it hard to part with certain weapons, even if I don't use them, and I just can't bear to part with that Pre-War Dress which just looks so good on a male shotgun welding character. Jokes aside there are plenty of weapons to suit everyone, and you can save up your hard earned bottle caps (the currency in the world of Fallout) for even more fancy weapons from merchants.

The ending to Fallout: New Vegas was quite simply one of the most thought over decisions I've ever made playing any computer game. After spending hours upon hours working my way through the Mojave Desert befriending and making enemies with everyone and forming opinions on factions, the game lets you decide how you want it to end. There are various possible endings and I found myself dedicating quite some thought into how I wanted it all to end. I'm still unsure now whether what I did was for the best, and in my opinion that's a brilliant way to end a game, letting a player decide for themselves after spending so much time playing it. You really do have to spend time really exploring the wasteland and completing all the side quests to get the most from this game, as with most games of this type.

When the game was first launched it was met with some bad press as the game was glitched and froze, I however did not play the game upon immediate release and so by the time I picked it up the necessary updates had already been released. That being said it wasn't completely glitch free. My game froze on me twice (and despite being the type to consistently hit the save button, I was still very put out when this happened) and I've experienced the strangeness of enemies disappearing into rocks or standing facing a wall and attempting to walk into it. These glitches however are small in comparison to the superb game play of Fallout and whilst there might have been major problems upon release, these are now ironed out to the few and far between.

Fallout: New Vegas was a brilliant game, and despite not being related to Fallout 3, being set in the same eerie and often terrifying post apocalyptic world is a great experience and anyone who played Fall Out 3 will pick up the game quickly. I was all too sad to finish Fallout: New Vegas and leave it's world behind, and the choices I had to make to end the game only made it all the better. I can't recommend this game highly enough.
Fri 03/02/12 at 02:19
Regular
Awesome game, coming out shortly is the Ultimate Edition, its going to be epic
Thu 17/03/11 at 18:11
Regular
I have given it 5/5 actually, though slightly biased as I love this type of game.
Thu 17/03/11 at 08:40
"possibly impossible"
Great review, but no score?

This game is in my ps3 pile ready to play, but first I have to finish Fallout 3.
Tue 15/03/11 at 20:01
Regular
The post apocalyptic and desolate world of Fallout is back, and whilst not a direct sequel of Fallout 3, it is set in the same world and uses the same game engine. New Vegas is set in the year 2281, which is 4 years after the events of Fallout 3 and has certain aspects to the game linking up nicely to previous events. In New Vegas you are playing a courier, who has quite literally, been pulled from the grave. The opening cut scene to the game shows a mysterious man seemingly shooting you point blank in the head, however moments later you are coming to in a Doctor's house after somehow recovering from this previous shooting. If you played Fallout 3 you will immediately come to grips with the game's interface and controls, as they don't differ much at all from the first game.

After carrying out the expected customisation of your character you are thrown into the world, although given a nice start in a 'tutorial' type town where friendly characters will demonstrate how to shoot, kill some relatively easy but dangerous animals, and even pick plants and fruit. You will immediately pick up your first side quests, and even have your first big fight with some angry locals showing you from the outset that this is no friendly world and everyone has to watch their step across the wastelands.

As the title of the game suggests, this is set in a Las Vegas world complete with Mojave desert, and if you've played Fallout 3 you will immediately be impressed by how fancy New Vegas is, complete with it's abundance of electricity thanks to a certain Hoover Dam, currently controlled by the New California Republic. Quite early on you start to learn about the various factions and groups through out New Vegas with the main players being the New California Republic (NCR), Caesar's Legion, and the mysterious Mr. House. Other factions will pop up along the way, all with their own weird and wonderful views of the way the world should be, and you will find yourself making opinions of each group quite early on.

As you make your way across the Mojave Desert completing quests and exploring towns and old structures, you will also pick up companions. These can be either human, or robot, and will follow you and assist you when fighting off enemies though they do demand help with their own personal quests too. Companions become rather handy and essential in the later stages of the game as the quests become harder, and your ability to complete certain quests will depend on how high you have levelled yourself up. You can't steam through the main quests in Fallout, but why would you, when there's a whole ream of people with side quests from the simple to the extreme with various rewards to give you in return. As you level up, you can also choose from a range of Perks, enabling you to do anything from carrying more inventory, or making the wasteland that bit more crazy and experience some rather unusual things during your game play.

Through out the game you will come across a multitude of weapons, apparel, aid and most importantly... finance clipboards. Well OK, not really, but there is also a lot of 'junk' items and these mysterious clipboards aren't all as you will also come across soda bottles, toy car's and ruined books. I personally love to pick up everything and anything, and quite often find myself 'over encumbered' that is, I am carrying far too much stuff that my character is unable to move. I find it hard to part with certain weapons, even if I don't use them, and I just can't bear to part with that Pre-War Dress which just looks so good on a male shotgun welding character. Jokes aside there are plenty of weapons to suit everyone, and you can save up your hard earned bottle caps (the currency in the world of Fallout) for even more fancy weapons from merchants.

The ending to Fallout: New Vegas was quite simply one of the most thought over decisions I've ever made playing any computer game. After spending hours upon hours working my way through the Mojave Desert befriending and making enemies with everyone and forming opinions on factions, the game lets you decide how you want it to end. There are various possible endings and I found myself dedicating quite some thought into how I wanted it all to end. I'm still unsure now whether what I did was for the best, and in my opinion that's a brilliant way to end a game, letting a player decide for themselves after spending so much time playing it. You really do have to spend time really exploring the wasteland and completing all the side quests to get the most from this game, as with most games of this type.

When the game was first launched it was met with some bad press as the game was glitched and froze, I however did not play the game upon immediate release and so by the time I picked it up the necessary updates had already been released. That being said it wasn't completely glitch free. My game froze on me twice (and despite being the type to consistently hit the save button, I was still very put out when this happened) and I've experienced the strangeness of enemies disappearing into rocks or standing facing a wall and attempting to walk into it. These glitches however are small in comparison to the superb game play of Fallout and whilst there might have been major problems upon release, these are now ironed out to the few and far between.

Fallout: New Vegas was a brilliant game, and despite not being related to Fallout 3, being set in the same eerie and often terrifying post apocalyptic world is a great experience and anyone who played Fall Out 3 will pick up the game quickly. I was all too sad to finish Fallout: New Vegas and leave it's world behind, and the choices I had to make to end the game only made it all the better. I can't recommend this game highly enough.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.