GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] The Sims 2: Castaway"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'The Sims 2'.
Thu 06/01/11 at 21:11
Regular
I imagine by now everyone has heard of The Sims, the hugely popular game from EA games. The PC game and it's many expansions are a huge success.
I have been a huge fan of The Sims since the first game came out onto the PC, and I have spent many hours on it and it's addictive gameplay. But as well as the PC games, EA also like to pump out console versions every now and then. Whilst not really the same as the PC game, alot of the basics are. You control a Sim, who needs feeding, clothing, bathing and fun, much like a human tamagotchi. Personally I'm not really one for the console games they bring out, I don't them anywhere near as fun and addicting as the PC games themselves, however I did buy The Sims Castaway for the Wii, and surprisingly enjoyed it. This was why I also decided to give the DS version a go.

The Sims Castaway DS involves your Sim, you choose a male or female character, dress them, choose their hair style and name them right at the very start. From there a short amusing clip plays showing you how your Sims ends up on an island. The game is very helpful from the start, it explains things as you come to them and before you know it you're building your first shelter, fire and exploring the island to figure out a way to get off it. There's lots of little fun things to do, for example your sim makes a fire, this involves you rubbing the DS across a plank of wood, then blowing into your DS to get the fire to light. Don't play this game on the bus, you will get weird looks.

Your Sim needs to eat, you find coconut tree's to shake, and rocks to hunt bugs under. You soon gain a spear and go fishing in the sea, trying frantically to stab your DS at tiny fish that swim around so fast. You can find bushes for your Sim to go to the toilet... and small streams for your Sim to have a wash in. The usual Sims style indicators are on the top screen, explaining how low each area is. There is:

- Hunger
- Comfort
- Social
- Bladder
- Hygiene
- Energy

The game has a night and day, but I wouldn't recommend just sending your Sim to bed at night, as there's long of things you can only obtain during the night on this game! Your Sim has a little home camp with their shelter and a campfire, you can send them to the shelter to sleep when they're tired, and also to save the game.

The game does have goals all the way through it. To unlock the next part of the island you may have to do certain tasks. For example, some vines are blocking the path and your sim needs something sharp to cut them down... You come across other Sims also shipwrecked on the island (it's turning into an episode of Lost by this point...) and you can offer them help. They rattle off something they need and you need to go and find it on the island, whether it's a certain fish or insect. The little goals are very addicting and help keep the game flowing nicely.

Admittedly I did become stuck on a certain goal, and in the end I resulted to finding out the answer on the Internet. To be honest it can become a bit puzzling, you may not be sure how to find a certain insect for example, and for this reason I don't think this game would be good for younger children.

You have a map of the island, which helps alot, as you can tap on an area to be transported there straight away rather than going through endless screens to get to that area. Moving around the island is easy, you simply tap the stylus on the ground to where you want your Sim to move. It can be tricky at times when certain interactable objects are there, for example I tap somewhere on the ground near a rock and the rock's menu will open up instead asking me if I want to go hunting for bugs.

Of course the aim of the game is to get off the island, I won't spoil it for you because it's an addicting little game to play through, certainly a one you'll want to finish.

The graphics on this game are good for a DS game and the sounds of the island are just as good, whether it's waterfalls or insects or that radio your Sim found on the island, it's not bad audio.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Thu 06/01/11 at 21:11
Regular
I imagine by now everyone has heard of The Sims, the hugely popular game from EA games. The PC game and it's many expansions are a huge success.
I have been a huge fan of The Sims since the first game came out onto the PC, and I have spent many hours on it and it's addictive gameplay. But as well as the PC games, EA also like to pump out console versions every now and then. Whilst not really the same as the PC game, alot of the basics are. You control a Sim, who needs feeding, clothing, bathing and fun, much like a human tamagotchi. Personally I'm not really one for the console games they bring out, I don't them anywhere near as fun and addicting as the PC games themselves, however I did buy The Sims Castaway for the Wii, and surprisingly enjoyed it. This was why I also decided to give the DS version a go.

The Sims Castaway DS involves your Sim, you choose a male or female character, dress them, choose their hair style and name them right at the very start. From there a short amusing clip plays showing you how your Sims ends up on an island. The game is very helpful from the start, it explains things as you come to them and before you know it you're building your first shelter, fire and exploring the island to figure out a way to get off it. There's lots of little fun things to do, for example your sim makes a fire, this involves you rubbing the DS across a plank of wood, then blowing into your DS to get the fire to light. Don't play this game on the bus, you will get weird looks.

Your Sim needs to eat, you find coconut tree's to shake, and rocks to hunt bugs under. You soon gain a spear and go fishing in the sea, trying frantically to stab your DS at tiny fish that swim around so fast. You can find bushes for your Sim to go to the toilet... and small streams for your Sim to have a wash in. The usual Sims style indicators are on the top screen, explaining how low each area is. There is:

- Hunger
- Comfort
- Social
- Bladder
- Hygiene
- Energy

The game has a night and day, but I wouldn't recommend just sending your Sim to bed at night, as there's long of things you can only obtain during the night on this game! Your Sim has a little home camp with their shelter and a campfire, you can send them to the shelter to sleep when they're tired, and also to save the game.

The game does have goals all the way through it. To unlock the next part of the island you may have to do certain tasks. For example, some vines are blocking the path and your sim needs something sharp to cut them down... You come across other Sims also shipwrecked on the island (it's turning into an episode of Lost by this point...) and you can offer them help. They rattle off something they need and you need to go and find it on the island, whether it's a certain fish or insect. The little goals are very addicting and help keep the game flowing nicely.

Admittedly I did become stuck on a certain goal, and in the end I resulted to finding out the answer on the Internet. To be honest it can become a bit puzzling, you may not be sure how to find a certain insect for example, and for this reason I don't think this game would be good for younger children.

You have a map of the island, which helps alot, as you can tap on an area to be transported there straight away rather than going through endless screens to get to that area. Moving around the island is easy, you simply tap the stylus on the ground to where you want your Sim to move. It can be tricky at times when certain interactable objects are there, for example I tap somewhere on the ground near a rock and the rock's menu will open up instead asking me if I want to go hunting for bugs.

Of course the aim of the game is to get off the island, I won't spoil it for you because it's an addicting little game to play through, certainly a one you'll want to finish.

The graphics on this game are good for a DS game and the sounds of the island are just as good, whether it's waterfalls or insects or that radio your Sim found on the island, it's not bad audio.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.