GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"This is not a Console Wars Topic!!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 03/12/01 at 20:18
Regular
Right now is probably the most important time for someone to know the facts about gaming consoles, with the GameCube and the X-Box coming out. As yet those two are unknown quantities but we can speak about the Sony Playstation 2 as it has been around a while.

I am one of the lucky few who managed to not only get a pre-order for a PS2 but got their pre-order on time. I have had a good relationship with this little black box since it arrived and it lead to the redundancy of my DreamCast which sits unloved in a big cardboard box of electrical bits behind me; a box it has sat in since before Sega ceased production on the unit.

My experiences with the Playstation 2 have been on the whole positive however it did take a while for really good games to arrive on the platform. A lot of the games you will find on the PS2 are rehashes of original Playstation games. On the other hand we have finally reached the time in the Playstation 2's life where quality titles are easily obtainable.

Gran Turismo 3, Silent Hill2, Grand Theft Auto 3... I could go on but I will spare you. This may well play into the system's hands as it has an excellent library of games to choose from of every shape and colour whereas Nintendo's GameCube and Microsoft's X-Box will for some time yet only have the questionable launch titles.

The big threat to Playstation 2 at this moment is the X-Box from microsoft so how does the Playstation 2 compare? Firstly it's available, which is a huge bonus. Secondly it's from Sony, a company who rule the roost in console gaming. Thirdly it has a massive platform of quality titles to choose from.

Nintendo will always have their Pokemon and Mario market to rely on but what are Microsoft bringing to the arena? They have more power than the Playstation 2 and the abiity to buy developers to make games for their machine. Though that might sound cynical it is actually literal. Microsoft bought Bungie Software in order to make Halo (a much hyped title) first-on-X-Box.

Whilst this sounds well and good, Playstation 3 is already on the way and will no doubt be more powerful still than Microsoft's machine. Not to mention when you buy the Playstation 2 you buy the Playstation, with the PS2's ability to play every Playstation game released your library of games available increases dramatically. X-Box lacks any such grand claim.

I think the X-Box has it's place but the Sony Playstation 2 still holds onto its crown. Sorry, Bill Gates, but that's the way I see it.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Mon 03/12/01 at 20:18
Regular
"I dnt wnt a Tagline"
Right now is probably the most important time for someone to know the facts about gaming consoles, with the GameCube and the X-Box coming out. As yet those two are unknown quantities but we can speak about the Sony Playstation 2 as it has been around a while.

I am one of the lucky few who managed to not only get a pre-order for a PS2 but got their pre-order on time. I have had a good relationship with this little black box since it arrived and it lead to the redundancy of my DreamCast which sits unloved in a big cardboard box of electrical bits behind me; a box it has sat in since before Sega ceased production on the unit.

My experiences with the Playstation 2 have been on the whole positive however it did take a while for really good games to arrive on the platform. A lot of the games you will find on the PS2 are rehashes of original Playstation games. On the other hand we have finally reached the time in the Playstation 2's life where quality titles are easily obtainable.

Gran Turismo 3, Silent Hill2, Grand Theft Auto 3... I could go on but I will spare you. This may well play into the system's hands as it has an excellent library of games to choose from of every shape and colour whereas Nintendo's GameCube and Microsoft's X-Box will for some time yet only have the questionable launch titles.

The big threat to Playstation 2 at this moment is the X-Box from microsoft so how does the Playstation 2 compare? Firstly it's available, which is a huge bonus. Secondly it's from Sony, a company who rule the roost in console gaming. Thirdly it has a massive platform of quality titles to choose from.

Nintendo will always have their Pokemon and Mario market to rely on but what are Microsoft bringing to the arena? They have more power than the Playstation 2 and the abiity to buy developers to make games for their machine. Though that might sound cynical it is actually literal. Microsoft bought Bungie Software in order to make Halo (a much hyped title) first-on-X-Box.

Whilst this sounds well and good, Playstation 3 is already on the way and will no doubt be more powerful still than Microsoft's machine. Not to mention when you buy the Playstation 2 you buy the Playstation, with the PS2's ability to play every Playstation game released your library of games available increases dramatically. X-Box lacks any such grand claim.

I think the X-Box has it's place but the Sony Playstation 2 still holds onto its crown. Sorry, Bill Gates, but that's the way I see it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.