GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Over for United?......."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 03/12/01 at 20:10
Regular
Is it over for Man U?

Despite Alex Ferguson's admission this weekend, after his side's 3-0 defeat against Chelsea, that his Manchester United team cannot win the title this season, many true football fans will not be taken in by the master of mind games latest comments.

Is Ferguson up to his old tricks again? It would seem so.
It's certainly true that United are not firing on all cylinders this season, despite some fantastic pre season purchases in Ruud van Nilsterooy and Sebastian Veron, but to claim that the Manchester club cannot win the title is ridiculous, especially as we have yet to reach christmas.

For anyone who thinks I am a Manchester United fan, defending the team, I can assure you I am anything but that. But I've seen far too many comebacks in football to do anything but write off United just yet.

Who can remember 4 or 5 seasons ago when Newcastle led the Premier league by 13 or 14 points AFTER CHRISTMAS!!? United eventually came back to snatch the title from Newcastle, after putting together a long unbeaten run after the new year.

Ferguson is renown for his mind games, and I see this as just another ploy from Ferguson to soften up his opponents. Although I must admit that I don't think that United will be able to turn things around this season.

They are not playing well at the moment, and unless Ferguson changes his formation, and reverts back to his tried and tested 4-4-2, I cannot see his side picking up any trophies this season.

United's situation reminds me of Liverpool's just a couple of season's ago. They had the players to win the title, but too many key players were under performing.

This is certainly the case with United this season. The sale of Jaap Stam ( For whatever reason ) was a terrible one, and even though Ferguson will never admit it, deep down he will know that he never should have sold the reliable Dutchman.

Wes Brown, although a fine player, just isn't experienced enough yet to cope with other players around him under performing.
Roy Keane has already admitted that other team mates have been carrying him this season, whilst Fabian Barthez is currently suffering the worst drop in form of his career.

Despite the problems though, I would be the last person to write off the champions, despite the fact that I would like nothing more than to see United's dominence crushed.

In the past United have been able to afford a drop in form at some point in the season, quite simply because there hasn't been a side good enough to challenge them and make them pay for their mistakes. But this season we have Liverpool, Leeds United and Arsenal, who all look as though they could maintain a serious challenge to United's crown this season.

As a Liverpool fan I would love to see the reds lift the title for the first time in 11 years, although the sale of Robbie Fowler may put a huge dent to their title challenge. Especially if Owen or Heskey are injured later in the season.

Leeds on the other hand have a magnificent squad in my opinion, and as the team gains experience together, the bigger threat they will become.

United's other major title rivals this season are Arsenal, who have a great squad but seem to be lacking that cutting edge which may bring the title back to Highbury.

In closing, I think that this season's title race is far from over, and I certainly expect Manchester United to have a say in what happens at the end of the season.
Can they get back on track and win it? Personally I don't think so, mainly because they have three quality sides to match them this season. But I certainly won't rule United out of the title race until it is mathematically impossible.
Thu 10/01/02 at 19:20
Regular
I know, when that Third Goal went in i shouted my head off, The Van Man can score fully fit or not fully fit so it seems
Thu 10/01/02 at 18:54
Regular
"Long time no see!"
How can it be over for United??? Since a few weeks ago, our season looks as if it's doing a MASSIVE u-turn!! And the Villa match was UN-BELIEVABLE!!! It brings back memories of the 'old days'!
Wed 09/01/02 at 23:08
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Only one game in hand, if I remember rightly. But still, potentially 12 points. That's a huge gap.

Altough utd have lost afew games, we haven't drawn many - and you have to remember that three drawn games drops you as many points as two lost ones.
Wed 09/01/02 at 23:07
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
How stupid those of us who wrote off United's chances now look. It's amazing how they can keep doing it year in year out. That's why they're the best in the world though.
Wed 09/01/02 at 23:02
Regular
How things change.

Shows how a month is a long time in football.

Liverpool were 9 points ahead with 2-3 games in hand wernt they?

Oh well...poor Liverpool.
Thu 06/12/01 at 00:45
Regular
Good news, Brown is only out for 2 months.
Wed 05/12/01 at 11:27
Regular
The GingerLord wrote:
Come on the Seagulls!!

Wouldn't that be slightly messy?

:-P
Wed 05/12/01 at 11:15
Regular
"I love Dave music"
Solskjaer_24 wrote:
> YES!!! It's over for us this season!! We can't win the league, we'll soon get
> knocked out of Europe, and we'll lose in round 3 of the FA Cup to Brighton 4-0,
> or someone lke that!!

And what's wrong with losing to Brighton? Come on the Seagulls!!
Wed 05/12/01 at 11:02
Regular
Apparently Wes Brown could be out for the rest of the season. He is awaiting results on a scan, but it looks as if he has suffered serious ligament damage in his left knee. The same sort of problem that kept him out of most of the 1999-2000 season.

Now what exactly does this mean for or defence? Does this mean Blanc will not be dropped now?! how many natural central defenders have we got left?! I suppose Gary Neville could move back into the centre, but he has never really been reliable in that position. Keane could move back into defence, but thee were reports that he was unhappy playing in that position against Chelsea.

I dunno, but it just seems to go from bad to worse...I just hope Davind may doesnt get called back into the team...
Tue 04/12/01 at 20:31
Regular
"Long time no see!"
YES!!! It's over for us this season!! We can't win the league, we'll soon get knocked out of Europe, and we'll lose in round 3 of the FA Cup to Brighton 4-0, or someone lke that!!

It'll get better over the summer. Blanc will have retireed, a new manager (PLEASE!!! NOT SVEN!!!) will be incharge, and in the World Cup there'll be talent on show to splash out on for the defence.

I mean no critisism on Sir Alex, he's one of the greatest managers of all time!! He's having a bad season and I think he'll still do well away from the management side of the club.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.