GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] Shenmue"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Shenmue'.
Mon 13/09/10 at 23:06
Regular
"Zebra Three 537-ONN"
[Game] Shenmue - Dreamcast

Ryo Hazuki returns home one evening to find a strange black car outside his fathers house. After finding the housekeeper injured in the courtyard his attention is turned towards the family dojo as his brother is thrown out of it head first. Upon entering the dojo he is quickly subdued by two thugs and watches as a man dressed in extravegant Chinese robes kills his father with one single strike to the chest. Ryo; left to weep by his fathers dead body vows to find this man and avenge his fathers murder.

Ryos investigation takes him through four districts where he talks to people as they go about their daily business, and, impressively, every single person has his/her own unique voice over and is acted out very well.

You will probably spend most of your time in Dobuita, which is the main market town. This is filled with shops, arcade parlours, bars, clubs, restaurants and loads of colourful characters. Incidentaly, the arcade parlour has actual SEGA games such as Hang-On and Space Harrier available to play, as well as a dart board and jukebox.

You can also purchase toy capsules from stores than contain figures like Sonic, Tails, Robotnik, Virtua Fighter figures and loads of other old SEGA characters, and collecting them all can become quite addictive. Can you collect them all? There are also other activities available that can quite easily sidetrack you from the main story.

I mentioned before that Ryos house has a dojo. As Ryo was growing up, his father taught him martial arts which he uses throughout the game, both in real time and in quick time events (QTE's) and there are always new moves to discover, and you will need them when you have to fight 70, yes 70 men, all at once when and incident at the docks takes place. This is one of the single most exciting stages of any game I have played in the last 10 years.

Obviously with the game being 10 years old now, the graphics are blocky in places, but the animation, facial expressions and lighting effects are all still good even when compared to some more recent titles. There is even a day/night cycle with some cracking sunsets which add to the atmosphere. Couple this together with some great voice acting and you get some real, believable characters which make for a really immersive story.

Between the main story, getting a job as a forklift truck driver at the docks and just living your day to day life around town, right down to such small things as buying in groceries, this game will sap away hours upon hours of your life. For the price of a regular current title you could invest in a Dreamcast and this game, and I'm certain you won't be disappointed, and if ever a game deserved a 10/10 this is it.

10/10
Sat 18/09/10 at 09:52
Regular
"AkaSeraphim"
Great Review. My favourie ever game. Didnt think i would ever like this but i was hooked from the minute i put it on. SO much to do in the game.
Wed 15/09/10 at 11:46
Regular
"Zebra Three 537-ONN"
Yea, easily two of my favourite games of all time. I know it's an old game to do a review for, but even today it's a really enjoyable game to play. Shenmue 3 is also my most anticipated sequel bar none,I wish SEGA would hurry up and announce it. :)
Tue 14/09/10 at 10:27
Regular
"And in last place.."
I'd have to agree, Shenmue and its sequel are both brilliant. The old arcade games was a great addition and I spent a long time on them, particularly OutRun in Shenmue 2.
Mon 13/09/10 at 23:06
Regular
"Zebra Three 537-ONN"
[Game] Shenmue - Dreamcast

Ryo Hazuki returns home one evening to find a strange black car outside his fathers house. After finding the housekeeper injured in the courtyard his attention is turned towards the family dojo as his brother is thrown out of it head first. Upon entering the dojo he is quickly subdued by two thugs and watches as a man dressed in extravegant Chinese robes kills his father with one single strike to the chest. Ryo; left to weep by his fathers dead body vows to find this man and avenge his fathers murder.

Ryos investigation takes him through four districts where he talks to people as they go about their daily business, and, impressively, every single person has his/her own unique voice over and is acted out very well.

You will probably spend most of your time in Dobuita, which is the main market town. This is filled with shops, arcade parlours, bars, clubs, restaurants and loads of colourful characters. Incidentaly, the arcade parlour has actual SEGA games such as Hang-On and Space Harrier available to play, as well as a dart board and jukebox.

You can also purchase toy capsules from stores than contain figures like Sonic, Tails, Robotnik, Virtua Fighter figures and loads of other old SEGA characters, and collecting them all can become quite addictive. Can you collect them all? There are also other activities available that can quite easily sidetrack you from the main story.

I mentioned before that Ryos house has a dojo. As Ryo was growing up, his father taught him martial arts which he uses throughout the game, both in real time and in quick time events (QTE's) and there are always new moves to discover, and you will need them when you have to fight 70, yes 70 men, all at once when and incident at the docks takes place. This is one of the single most exciting stages of any game I have played in the last 10 years.

Obviously with the game being 10 years old now, the graphics are blocky in places, but the animation, facial expressions and lighting effects are all still good even when compared to some more recent titles. There is even a day/night cycle with some cracking sunsets which add to the atmosphere. Couple this together with some great voice acting and you get some real, believable characters which make for a really immersive story.

Between the main story, getting a job as a forklift truck driver at the docks and just living your day to day life around town, right down to such small things as buying in groceries, this game will sap away hours upon hours of your life. For the price of a regular current title you could invest in a Dreamcast and this game, and I'm certain you won't be disappointed, and if ever a game deserved a 10/10 this is it.

10/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.