GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"FFF's FF rundown."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 24/11/01 at 12:12
Regular
I (quite obviously) think of FF as the best games I've ever played. And there is lots and lots of arguments about which is best, so I’m here (in mind, not person) to give you a rundown of the 3 FF’s for Playstation.
Then from the list you can decide which is the best.

******* Final Fantasy 7 *******

The first to appear on PSX. Although rather crude in-game graphics the cut-scenes are marvellous and even out-shine some games made now.
First impressions are great, being thrown straight into the action with a bunch of strangers and learning all about them.

The story is probably the best of the lot with much-varied scenery and locations, along with 9 (I think!) very different allies you can get varying from a big, fluffy toy to a vampire. There are lots of shocks in store too

The materia idea is easy to use (with all the pretty colours) and helps infinitely during battle with over 100 different materia, all with different characteristics you can connect them up to each other to perform different tasks.
The weapons are un-upgradable so you can only find or buy better ones which make it easier to get them all.

The Chocobo section is the hardest of the bunch but is very rewarding with the breeding and racing them, second place I'll say.

The mini-games are great with a whole area for playing them and several others around the world map.

The world map layout comes first

******* Final Fantasy 8 ********

The last one I bought, due to some bad speculation around about it. But is right up there with the others.

The most “Grown Up” FF with life-size people and a more ‘realistic’ world.
Most people say that Squall, the hero, is a depressed grump , which he is. But it’s pretty funny seeing him in an awkward situation an reply “Whatever” when asked a difficult question.

The story is probably the weakest, there’s a little too many revelations to handle, but it’s still a most emotive and enjoyable 80+ hours.

The feature of ‘Drawing’ your magic from special places is great, and means no MP, just a certain number of spells, with stronger ones being more difficult to find. You can attach magic to your Stats. to increase them.
You collect GF’s through the game (summons) which you can call out during battle to take you place for a round. They can be built up and new abilities can be got from them.
The weapons you have to start with has to be upgraded by collecting items from all over the place.

The Chocobo section is the worst only because pocket-stations were never released over here. If they were you could get a whole mini-game on it. Damn.

The mini-games are very few.

The world-map comes last

********* Final Fantasy 9 *********

The last FF on PSX.
The use of a ‘ ! ‘ when you’re near something useful or interesting is very helpful.

The story starts with a fight, (you can have up to 4 people in the battle now) and switches between main people a lot showing all that’s happening. The first section is you (Zidane) trying to kidnap the princess from her castle, but she actually wants to leave, making a funny intro.

The graphics are slightly rough but very detailed, and the whole things in set in mediaeval kind of time.

This time you have to learn abilities from the things you are wearing (helmet, jacket, shoes, gloves, weapon) which can then be used in battle. And every person has their own unique abilities. Only 2 people can summon, a few use magic, and you can steal things.

The Chocobo section is the best, where you have to dig for items and get points. You can find special tablets that tell you to go and dig somewhere on the world map, which when you find will have a secret treasure or your Chocobo will acquire a new ability.

The mini-games are many, many and many more. Each one very fun and some spread over the whole world.

The world map is very varied but comes second.

So I think 9, 7, 8 overall. But it is very close between them all, especially 9 and 7.

Now all I've got to do is wait for 10.

There you go.
Read, enjoy, argue.

Cheers,
FFF
Sat 24/11/01 at 21:32
"period drama"
me! me!

ooh! come on!

*sticks his hand high up into the air*

me! I do!

*stretches his fingers to the limit*

c'mon! i doooo!
Sat 24/11/01 at 18:14
Regular
"Back For Good"
who thinks Kingdom hearts is just a kids version of Final Fantasy??
Sat 24/11/01 at 14:42
I love FF7 & FF9 equally as well.

Ho hum.....
Sat 24/11/01 at 14:01
Regular
"I dnt wnt a Tagline"
no
Sat 24/11/01 at 14:00
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
no
Sat 24/11/01 at 13:58
"period drama"
Sat 24/11/01 at 12:12
"period drama"
I (quite obviously) think of FF as the best games I've ever played. And there is lots and lots of arguments about which is best, so I’m here (in mind, not person) to give you a rundown of the 3 FF’s for Playstation.
Then from the list you can decide which is the best.

******* Final Fantasy 7 *******

The first to appear on PSX. Although rather crude in-game graphics the cut-scenes are marvellous and even out-shine some games made now.
First impressions are great, being thrown straight into the action with a bunch of strangers and learning all about them.

The story is probably the best of the lot with much-varied scenery and locations, along with 9 (I think!) very different allies you can get varying from a big, fluffy toy to a vampire. There are lots of shocks in store too

The materia idea is easy to use (with all the pretty colours) and helps infinitely during battle with over 100 different materia, all with different characteristics you can connect them up to each other to perform different tasks.
The weapons are un-upgradable so you can only find or buy better ones which make it easier to get them all.

The Chocobo section is the hardest of the bunch but is very rewarding with the breeding and racing them, second place I'll say.

The mini-games are great with a whole area for playing them and several others around the world map.

The world map layout comes first

******* Final Fantasy 8 ********

The last one I bought, due to some bad speculation around about it. But is right up there with the others.

The most “Grown Up” FF with life-size people and a more ‘realistic’ world.
Most people say that Squall, the hero, is a depressed grump , which he is. But it’s pretty funny seeing him in an awkward situation an reply “Whatever” when asked a difficult question.

The story is probably the weakest, there’s a little too many revelations to handle, but it’s still a most emotive and enjoyable 80+ hours.

The feature of ‘Drawing’ your magic from special places is great, and means no MP, just a certain number of spells, with stronger ones being more difficult to find. You can attach magic to your Stats. to increase them.
You collect GF’s through the game (summons) which you can call out during battle to take you place for a round. They can be built up and new abilities can be got from them.
The weapons you have to start with has to be upgraded by collecting items from all over the place.

The Chocobo section is the worst only because pocket-stations were never released over here. If they were you could get a whole mini-game on it. Damn.

The mini-games are very few.

The world-map comes last

********* Final Fantasy 9 *********

The last FF on PSX.
The use of a ‘ ! ‘ when you’re near something useful or interesting is very helpful.

The story starts with a fight, (you can have up to 4 people in the battle now) and switches between main people a lot showing all that’s happening. The first section is you (Zidane) trying to kidnap the princess from her castle, but she actually wants to leave, making a funny intro.

The graphics are slightly rough but very detailed, and the whole things in set in mediaeval kind of time.

This time you have to learn abilities from the things you are wearing (helmet, jacket, shoes, gloves, weapon) which can then be used in battle. And every person has their own unique abilities. Only 2 people can summon, a few use magic, and you can steal things.

The Chocobo section is the best, where you have to dig for items and get points. You can find special tablets that tell you to go and dig somewhere on the world map, which when you find will have a secret treasure or your Chocobo will acquire a new ability.

The mini-games are many, many and many more. Each one very fun and some spread over the whole world.

The world map is very varied but comes second.

So I think 9, 7, 8 overall. But it is very close between them all, especially 9 and 7.

Now all I've got to do is wait for 10.

There you go.
Read, enjoy, argue.

Cheers,
FFF

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.