GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Been there, done that, had the Dreamcast..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 19/04/03 at 16:55
Regular
Its ironic really isn't it...

The Dreamcast...There's a name...Didn't they make that sportswear which Arsenal wore? Well, no actually...It was a rather (sale wise) unsuccessful games console with some of the best games ever made on it...

It certainly had the hardware, and could produce graphics to rival the PS2...and it definitely had the games, but it died slowly and painful...Some say because of the poor advertising campaign. But that's not what im hear to talk about. Today you can grab a DC at around £30, and games brand new for £10 each. So why get a new console? If your answer is that you want GAMEX on the new console, chances are GAMEX, Y and Z where on DC...Just look below...

PS2

Some big games this season for the PS2 include GTA, Tomb Raider, Virtua Fighter and Half Life...All 4, now exclusive to the PS2 (apart from PC) and funnily enough - all 4 where at one point on DC. Yep. Tomb Raider's 4 and 5 where on the DC, GTA 2 was on the DC, and Half Life was completed for the DC, but unfortunately never released because of its death...Also Virtua Fighter 3tb was exclusive to the format. Oh, and Tony Hawks and his BMX pals including Mat and Dave made appearances too!

Game Cube

What's big on the cube these days? Phantasy Star Online is the cubes only online game, Super Monkey Ball, Resident Evil and Sonic Adventure Battle are all exclusives...well, again, all of these high profile games where on the DC. Yep, the DC had online capabilities, Resident Evil and Dino Crisis where both on the system with graphics just as good as these days, and 2 Sonic games made appearances - and OK, no Monkey Ball, but Monkey Ball was made by SEGA so if the DC was still alive today, it would have been on it...

XBOX

Shemnue 2 anyone? How about SEGA GT 2002 or Crazy Taxi 3? House of the Dead 3? Oh, or maybe Dead or Alive? Dino Crisis? Not forgetting Toe Jam and Earl 3 and Panza dragon. Well, Dead or Alive 2, Shemnue 1&2, SEGA GT, Crazy Taxis 1 &2, House of the Dead 2, and Dino crisis where all on the DC, and Toe Jam and Panza Dragon are SEGA games, so the DC would have had them if it lived long enough...

So what about that eh? If the DC was still here today, would it of had GTA3 exclusive? Would it have had Tomb Raider 6 exclusive? And the Dino Crisis and Resi series? Would it have had them exclusive as well as all the SEGA games like Monkey Ball, House of the dead 3, Toe Jam 3, Crazy Taxi 3, Sonic Adventure 3 (Coming to cube soon) and the legendary Shenmnue series may have had a number 3...Its a tragedy it died. It really did have the cream of the most exclusive games these days, 3 years early, and as a result, died. Heck, it even had online play with voice chat (Just like XBOX Live)...The DC will be missed - its such a shame the world missed out on you...

I hope I got a point across - visit my site (hosted by special reserve) for 70+ online java games, and loads of reviews of latest games, plus more features like this - and the opportunity for you to add your games, reviews, and features too!

http://www.tgm.ukgamers.net
Sat 07/06/03 at 15:44
Regular
"I dressed myself !!"
I agree! Dreamcast was a gentle giant of a console. The amazing potential seemed to go unnoticed.

TGM Bloke said:
>>So what about that eh? If the DC was still here today, would it of had GTA3 exclusive? Would it have had Tomb Raider 6 exclusive? And the Dino Crisis and Resi series?
--Erm.... nope, nope and nope! Because Dino Crisis was also on PS1 and PC, GTA 1 and 2 were also on PS1 and PC, Tomb Raider was on PS1 and PC... so I doubt VERY much that those franchises would have remained exclusive on he Dreamcast. After all they are not Sega companies.

>>Would it have had them exclusive as well as all the SEGA games like Monkey Ball, House of the dead 3, Toe Jam 3, Crazy Taxi 3?

--Obviously! Which is why I am VERY gutted that the Dreamacast failed. All those great Sega games are being shared!!! :(, but I suppose its a good thing, everyone can taste the delights of Sega. Once Sega aquire a very large fan base from people who own many other platforms, they may well step back into the Hardware market. But not for a while yet,

>>Its a tragedy it died. It really did have the cream of the most exclusive games these days, 3 years early, and as a result, died. Heck, it even had online play with voice chat (Just like XBOX Live)...The DC will be missed - its such a shame the world missed out on you...

--Yeah, it is a tradegy. It was a breath of fresh air and it went unnoticed!
Fri 06/06/03 at 12:07
Regular
"Frag 1st, Think 2nd"
I haven't been on this site for AGES and was just browsing around.

All good points. My DC still has pried of place along side my PS2 and Xbox.

I would have liked to seen the standard of games that the DC would be producing today as it normally takes a good couple of years for the developers to really tap into a consoles capabilities and by that time the DC was fading away. The DC would, in my opinion still be producing games that match and rival anything that is currently ou there.

The PS2 is now just about producing a steady stream of good games (the first couple of years where awfull). The xbox and GC are doing OK but next year will make or break both of them.

Lets just hope that SEGA can remain independant and don't need to merge.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.