GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Big Bang Theory (not the program)"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 15/08/10 at 15:20
Regular
"Zebra Three 537-ONN"
This topic is in response to the few that were disappointed that my last Big Bang Theory topic was about the T.V program, and not about the creation of the universe :p ;)

I have to say that it's actually something that I've never actually considered in great detail before. I do believe in the scientific theory that a massive cosmic event happened to create the Universe as we know it, rather than it being created by some sort of entity, eg: God.

But I would be at a loss as to how to even think of what could possibly cause something like that. The only thing I ponder about whenever I do think about this (rarely) is there had to have been something there to create the big bang in the first place, so if something was already there, what created that?
Fri 20/08/10 at 13:44
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
pb wrote:
> I find the whole thing fascinating, particularly as we are still
> learning new things about the universe every day.

And most of it will remain theory! It's a bit like the Higgs' Boson, we know it should exist but we have never seen it (although not sure of the outcome in the particle accelerator test recently). All interesting stuff though and sure even though we may never definitely know certain things, we shall have a good idea of the general way things are with the theories.

(and for clarification on that confusing muddle of words, I mean we do have accepted models, but even now we tend to see them changed and edited to include the results of more experiments)
Fri 20/08/10 at 13:34
"possibly impossible"
I find the whole thing fascinating, particularly as we are still learning new things about the universe every day.

The one thing I wonder is can we be certain that the 'big bang' happened to the Universe as a whole when we don't even know that much about the area outside of our galaxy or could it have been limited to our galaxy/solar system and others had their own event prior to this. Are there galaxy's out there much older than ours?
Fri 20/08/10 at 12:58
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
THIS ARTICLE may be worth reading as it fits in nicely to this threads theme.

Essentially, the Universe will forever be expanding thanks to the Big Bang, and it looks as if the once suggested 'Big Shrink' may, in fact, not happen anywhere in the comprehensible future.
Tue 17/08/10 at 12:31
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
Astrophysics really messes with my head as there are so many questions with so many different answers, for example where is the edge of the universe? And if it can be defined as a certain point what is beyond that?

Same with time, when did time start and what happened before that?

It's been proved that the universe is expanding (for example the moon has been proved to be moving away from the earth at so many centimetres per year) and the question physics is trying to answer at the minute is is there enough matter in the universe for gravity to be able to create the big crunch (IE where all matter comes together again, the reverse of the big bang).

I personally think there is enough factual evidence for the big bang but as to what happened before that, who knows!
Mon 16/08/10 at 17:23
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Kaepora Gaebora wrote:
> The core of our galaxy (and everyone other one) lies a
> supermassive black hole (the dangerous sucky type, not the song).
> One of the most likely theories is that black holes suck up all
> the matter in their area, smaller black holes are absorbed into
> larger ones, until finally it reaches a 'breaking point' and
> subsequently spews out all the rocks, bacteria etc. outwards to
> start another new life cycle....the galaxies and all the solar
> systems within them were the leftovers from these black holes.

Sort of like a big vacuum cleaner that gets put on reverse at full bag point? It does make sense in a way. When it spews it back out, would this create a mini-bang for the cycle? I'm not well informed in astrophysics, but do like to ponder on theories of what could be the cause. Unfortunately, as with most areas on my life I'm a thinker, not a doer!
Mon 16/08/10 at 13:38
Regular
That's not quite true... it was tested long ago for 'reflections' to see if the universe went round... it's pretty much one way, on the outer rim of the border galaxies there is simply nothing but dark matter, the same stuff inbetween galaxies.

The core of our galaxy (and everyone other one) lies a supermassive black hole (the dangerous sucky type, not the song). One of the most likely theories is that black holes suck up all the matter in their area, smaller black holes are absorbed into larger ones, until finally it reaches a 'breaking point' and subsequently spews out all the rocks, bacteria etc. outwards to start another new life cycle....the galaxies and all the solar systems within them were the leftovers from these black holes.
Mon 16/08/10 at 12:24
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Exactly, if you trave so far into space, you'll come back to where you started from (+/- a few lightyears...).

I guess time could follow this method and therefore enabling time travel to be possible also.

[S]Doughnut idea was stolen from the Simpsons btw... Homer is a secret genious!
Mon 16/08/10 at 10:18
Regular
"Zebra Three 537-ONN"
HM wrote:
> The thing that gets me is what the universe is expanding in
> to...the idea that it just goes on forever just astounds me. So
> linking this in with the time travel thread, perhaps the whole of
> space is on a loop - or doughnut shaped... so space travel and
> time travel just loops upon itself.

Thats an interesting theory, and there's no reason why that couldn't be true. When you think we used to think the Earth was flat, it's not impossible to think that space itself could actually be formed in the way you describe, rather than it going on and on for infinity.
Mon 16/08/10 at 08:25
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
You're struggling with the cause and effect theory of the creation of the big bang. Something happened, something must have caused it...but what.

I will say I struggle with that thought myself. I do believe the event was scientific rather than a creation of an entity, even though from the number of investigations I've been on such entities can exist.

The thing that gets me is what the universe is expanding in to...the idea that it just goes on forever just astounds me. So linking this in with the time travel thread, perhaps the whole of space is on a loop - or doughnut shaped... so space travel and time travel just loops upon itself.

If it is doughnut shaped, here's hoping the creator of the universe is Krispy Kremes...
Sun 15/08/10 at 15:20
Regular
"Zebra Three 537-ONN"
This topic is in response to the few that were disappointed that my last Big Bang Theory topic was about the T.V program, and not about the creation of the universe :p ;)

I have to say that it's actually something that I've never actually considered in great detail before. I do believe in the scientific theory that a massive cosmic event happened to create the Universe as we know it, rather than it being created by some sort of entity, eg: God.

But I would be at a loss as to how to even think of what could possibly cause something like that. The only thing I ponder about whenever I do think about this (rarely) is there had to have been something there to create the big bang in the first place, so if something was already there, what created that?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.