GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"DriveLocks on hard drives"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 11/08/10 at 23:15
Regular
I want to sell a laptop, but I can't disable the DriveLock function that I put in. How do I get rid of it, so the HD boots up automatically?
Sat 21/08/10 at 05:53
Regular
I'm having the same problem. Found my old HP ze4400 and want to use/sell it, but I can't remember the DriveLock p/w for the life of me. I have the BIOS p/w, but not DriveLock. You mention that you were able to fix/bypass this by downloading some HP Security software?? What software? Do you happen to have a link? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise, the only way to fix the issue is replacing the hard drive, correct? Thanx in advance...
Fri 13/08/10 at 21:26
Regular
Managed to sort it out in the end by downloading some HP security manager software, conveniently disabled in a few clicks. Nice when you know how, eh!
Thu 12/08/10 at 21:34
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Try powering down the laptop completely (not simply restarting) before trying to disable drivelock in the bios, it may be available then.
Thu 12/08/10 at 18:49
Regular
That part is ghosted out... when it was disabled I could select it but since then it doesn't allow it :(

What was strange is that it asks for the Drivelock password first... you'd think the BIOS would turn on, it ask for the BIOS password (if enabled) and then the drivelock one...

I've tried updating the firmware, no cigar.

Now I either have to find a seller who doesn't mind typing in a password every boot, or buy a new HD that's almost as much as the resale value of the laptop itself!
Thu 12/08/10 at 16:31
"Are you sure?"
As you know the password, it looks like you should be able to disable it by entering setup/bios and turning it off in the security section.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 12/08/10 at 13:37
Regular
Yep it's a HP. I know the password - I put it in myself - I just want to disable the thing (as in not ask for a password every boot) now I'm selling it on.
Thu 12/08/10 at 02:34
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
I take it the laptop is HP or Compaq? If so then the only way the disable DriveLock is to work out the password or know the master password. You can try to guess the password 5 times until you have to power down the laptop and try again.

The only other way I know of is to swap the logic board on the hard drive for one from an identical hard drive, which I don't think you'll have!

DriveLock is an ATA level command to block the logic board on the hard drive from accessing the data on the drive until the correct password is entered. Your data will be intact but no amount of formatting of fdisking will remove DriveLock.

One more way, which in theory could work is to reflash the drive firmware, but I'm not sure if the drivelock register entries are held elsewhere on the drives flash memory and so these may not be overwritten.

Looks like a new drive may be required!
Wed 11/08/10 at 23:15
Regular
I want to sell a laptop, but I can't disable the DriveLock function that I put in. How do I get rid of it, so the HD boots up automatically?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.