GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gauntlet: Dark Legacy"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Gauntlet Dark Legacy'.
Mon 08/09/03 at 00:49
Regular
A classic

is what I would say if it had been made in the days of the late Snes/early Saturn/PSOne.
I might call it a reasonable if it had been early N64...

If you look in the back pages of NGC magazine then you see what score they gave it. If I remember rightly it was a few percent higher than Universal Studio's.

And I see why it scored it, because it's simplistic and repetitive.

So it's awful... but I'm enjoying it.
Basically you trawl through the levels as your chosen character (selected from the usual Dwarf/Wizard/Knight/Warrior etc) in your chosen colour. The levels are filled with traps, and monsters which continually spawn from their gravestone/hut/cesspool until you smash that to pieces.
As you kill monsters, you get treasure and experience points so you can buy items and level up to help you through your quest.

I'm glad I didn't pay more than £15 for it but in it's own little way it's great. In the one sense, it's refreshingly simple and retro in the modern world of complex games.
But when playing on your own, this merely proves WHY games have evolved in the way they have!
It's a bit of a repetitive chore to go through most of the time.

The thing is, it's four player! You start to like it for the same reason you liked Streets Of Rage and other classic co-op fighters.
For some reason, moving together as a team of (3 in our case) warriors is actually fun. The combination of helping/hindering team mates, as well as treasure hunting, enemy slaughtering makes play interesting enough to make it enjoyable...

The bottom line is, FPS are two a penny. Realistic racers are 2 a penny. Cartoony racers are two a penny. Beat em ups are two a penny.
This game seems to be the last of it's kind or pure retro arcade action.

Sure it's crap, but that's where half it's charm lies...
Cheap fun but you've got to love it!
Sun 14/09/03 at 19:45
Regular
"a yellow fox ^_^"
yeah I got it and its pretty good. i read some reviews and they said it was crap............but nobody cares
Tue 09/09/03 at 00:12
Regular
"8==="
Strafex wrote:
>
> As to Hedfix, we all do our fair share of stealing items!
> My brother now refuses to open a treasure chest unless the rest of us
> are on the other side of the screen! :-D

ROFL

> If only I wasn't skint! :-)

I know the feeling.
Mon 08/09/03 at 22:35
Regular
cookie monster wrote:
> I would rather have Baldurs gate dark alliance or Lord of The Rings
> The Two Towers.

The thing is, they aren't 4 player, so they take all the crappy out-datedness of Gauntlet while leaving behind the one thing that makes it fun.

As to Hedfix, we all do our fair share of stealing items!
My brother now refuses to open a treasure chest unless the rest of us are on the other side of the screen! :-D
We mostly come to agreements though, besides, most of the items we get all go towards a team effort anyway...

I'll look out for Hexen 64 in the second hand shops. The thing is though, only one of our N64 controllers works properly now (the endless hours of Goldeneye, Mario Kart, Smash Brothers, Perfect Dark and No Mercy multiplayer gradually paid their toll on one pad at a time).

Still, if I picked up one of them cheap too...

If only I wasn't skint! :-)
Mon 08/09/03 at 16:23
Regular
"8==="
Hexen 64's worth a look if you like Gauntlet. It's basically Gauntlet the FPS version and the whole game is playable 4 player co-operate and that's not all!

All the levels can be played as 4 player deathmatch levels and there are different characters to choose from who use items differently.

It rocks mightily! :D
Mon 08/09/03 at 16:15
Regular
It's the nuts. No doubt about it.
Mon 08/09/03 at 01:04
Regular
"everyone says it"
Cool.

An old game that people cool boring is GREAT because its based on what made gaming so good Ten Years Ago.

Its simple.
Mon 08/09/03 at 00:57
Regular
"8==="
I have the N64 version it's good. Fighting over powerups and items can get annoying because if your the one doing most of the killing some little goite is running round nabbing all the items to sell.

Still good though, just watch those items... :D
Mon 08/09/03 at 00:52
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
I would rather have Baldurs gate dark alliance or Lord of The Rings The Two Towers.
Mon 08/09/03 at 00:49
Regular
A classic

is what I would say if it had been made in the days of the late Snes/early Saturn/PSOne.
I might call it a reasonable if it had been early N64...

If you look in the back pages of NGC magazine then you see what score they gave it. If I remember rightly it was a few percent higher than Universal Studio's.

And I see why it scored it, because it's simplistic and repetitive.

So it's awful... but I'm enjoying it.
Basically you trawl through the levels as your chosen character (selected from the usual Dwarf/Wizard/Knight/Warrior etc) in your chosen colour. The levels are filled with traps, and monsters which continually spawn from their gravestone/hut/cesspool until you smash that to pieces.
As you kill monsters, you get treasure and experience points so you can buy items and level up to help you through your quest.

I'm glad I didn't pay more than £15 for it but in it's own little way it's great. In the one sense, it's refreshingly simple and retro in the modern world of complex games.
But when playing on your own, this merely proves WHY games have evolved in the way they have!
It's a bit of a repetitive chore to go through most of the time.

The thing is, it's four player! You start to like it for the same reason you liked Streets Of Rage and other classic co-op fighters.
For some reason, moving together as a team of (3 in our case) warriors is actually fun. The combination of helping/hindering team mates, as well as treasure hunting, enemy slaughtering makes play interesting enough to make it enjoyable...

The bottom line is, FPS are two a penny. Realistic racers are 2 a penny. Cartoony racers are two a penny. Beat em ups are two a penny.
This game seems to be the last of it's kind or pure retro arcade action.

Sure it's crap, but that's where half it's charm lies...
Cheap fun but you've got to love it!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.