GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Night Caster II"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 15/10/03 at 11:01
Regular
"8==="
I picked this up on saturday for 14 quid.

Stuck it on yesterday and played it for 4 hours straight. It's a mix of gauntlet and BG:DA. The fighting system and spell system are excellent.

I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys BG:DA and Gauntlet. It has the fighting system and graphics similar to BG:DA, some of the enemies come out a spawning points which have to be destroyed, this is the only bit that's really like Gauntlet as everything else is very much on a parr with the BG:DA engine.

It's more spell orientated than BG:DA and less stat orientated. There's a lot more emphasis on upgrading your spells than your characters defence/health etc.

There's an interesting combo system allowing you to throw togeather long and short attacks with variations of each. Along with this is a combat bonus system where you get brief enhancements to your spells by killing creatures in quick succession and killing different combinations of coloured creatures gives you different bonuses.

The level design (from ehat I've played) it good and non-linear, there is a entrance and exit to each level but how you get there and what path you take is up to you (personally I wipeout the entire level of creatures for the experience points like I did in BG:DA.

The game is also two player co-operative although I haven't had the chance to try this out yet.

Oh yeah there's two characters to choose from one who's better at fighting and one who's better at magic. I'm playing the characters who's better at fighting but I'm only upgrading her spell abilities which seems to be doing the trick despite the fact she's supposed to be a scrapper rather than a mage.

To start off with this game is hard, damn hard, for about the first half an hour. The game throws you in the deep end and it's difficult to gain enough experience to go up a level (you lose your Experience points when you die and have to respawn) but once you finally go up a level and obtain a couple more spells you really start to turn the tables on your foes!

The control system for aiming spells is great, although it takes a bit of getting used to, you use the right analogue stick to aim your spells whilst moving your character with the left. This allows you to move away or circle the enemies whilst firing spells at them.

There's a quick rotation system for choosing spells where you can cycle through the four spells you have chosen using the L trigger. This works really well because the enemies and spells are based on fire, water, light and dark so using a spell grounded in the opposite to what the creature is grounded in does the most damage.

There's a really nice variation of enemies from giant walking treemen to deadly fire throwing imps, when the treemen go up in flames it looks really great!

To those who enjoyed BG:DA this game is highly recommended.
Thu 16/10/03 at 22:21
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
I liked the look of videos of the game., but general word was they were poor so I stayed clear.
Thu 16/10/03 at 17:18
Regular
The original Nightcaster was pap of the highest order, this one looks the same so I think I'll give it a miss.
Thu 16/10/03 at 13:50
Regular
"8==="
Yeah, Enclave's on my list.
Wed 15/10/03 at 23:31
Regular
"Laughingstock"
I'e thought about trying the Nightcaster games.I quite like the idea of roaming around medieval landscapes casting dazzling spells. I think what's stopped me is the lack of "adventure elements". Could be worth my while for 14 quid though.

You should try Enclave. A excellent medieval-type game (in my opinion).
Wed 15/10/03 at 11:01
Regular
"8==="
I picked this up on saturday for 14 quid.

Stuck it on yesterday and played it for 4 hours straight. It's a mix of gauntlet and BG:DA. The fighting system and spell system are excellent.

I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys BG:DA and Gauntlet. It has the fighting system and graphics similar to BG:DA, some of the enemies come out a spawning points which have to be destroyed, this is the only bit that's really like Gauntlet as everything else is very much on a parr with the BG:DA engine.

It's more spell orientated than BG:DA and less stat orientated. There's a lot more emphasis on upgrading your spells than your characters defence/health etc.

There's an interesting combo system allowing you to throw togeather long and short attacks with variations of each. Along with this is a combat bonus system where you get brief enhancements to your spells by killing creatures in quick succession and killing different combinations of coloured creatures gives you different bonuses.

The level design (from ehat I've played) it good and non-linear, there is a entrance and exit to each level but how you get there and what path you take is up to you (personally I wipeout the entire level of creatures for the experience points like I did in BG:DA.

The game is also two player co-operative although I haven't had the chance to try this out yet.

Oh yeah there's two characters to choose from one who's better at fighting and one who's better at magic. I'm playing the characters who's better at fighting but I'm only upgrading her spell abilities which seems to be doing the trick despite the fact she's supposed to be a scrapper rather than a mage.

To start off with this game is hard, damn hard, for about the first half an hour. The game throws you in the deep end and it's difficult to gain enough experience to go up a level (you lose your Experience points when you die and have to respawn) but once you finally go up a level and obtain a couple more spells you really start to turn the tables on your foes!

The control system for aiming spells is great, although it takes a bit of getting used to, you use the right analogue stick to aim your spells whilst moving your character with the left. This allows you to move away or circle the enemies whilst firing spells at them.

There's a quick rotation system for choosing spells where you can cycle through the four spells you have chosen using the L trigger. This works really well because the enemies and spells are based on fire, water, light and dark so using a spell grounded in the opposite to what the creature is grounded in does the most damage.

There's a really nice variation of enemies from giant walking treemen to deadly fire throwing imps, when the treemen go up in flames it looks really great!

To those who enjoyed BG:DA this game is highly recommended.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.