GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[Game] Mass Effect 2"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Mass Effect 2'.
Sat 27/03/10 at 19:24
Regular
Mass Effect 2 continues on from where it left off with the first in this exciting sci-fi role playing trilogy. It was released in early 2010 following the huge success of the first game, and behind it came a huge amount of hype. It's developed by Bioware and after loving the first game, I was very excited to get stuck into the next instalment.

The game starts with Commander Shephard on the Normandy, however don't expect to get too comfortable with that familiar looking ship and crew, as before you know it your ship is under attack from a mysterious and intimidating looking space craft and moments later you see Commander Shephard being plummeted deep into space... dead. Yes, this is the opening scene for Mass Effect 2 but don't despair! Two years later you are up and about again, thanks to operation Lazarus and the organization Cerberus.

If you played Mass Effect 1 then you can important your character from your original game into Mass Effect 2, a rather cool feature which also means certain things happen in Mass Effect 2 based on decisions you made in the first game. If you haven't played Mass Effect 1 then why not?! Although not essential, I would say to play that game first as it's a huge storyline which I can't imagine playing the second game without knowing.

Back into the new game you have a brand new Normandy ship and crew to command, and sadly, the crew from the first one are no longer yours. Instead you now have to make a new crew, recruiting people from some dossiers given to you which see you exploring far ends of the galaxy to persuade people to join your team. You need to mix in with all of the alien races, nothing new as this was covered in the first one, but I felt this time around you get to know each of the races a bit more in-depth, in this game you even get to go to each races main 'city' if you'd like to call it that. I found these really fun to explore, but the main human base, the glorious Citadel which features so much in the first game, is smaller somewhat, and there's not as many places you are allowed to explore. This was disappointing for me, but hopefully this is something which could be coming back in Mass Effect 3.

There have been some big improvements from the first game. The combat has been revamped making it appeal more to fans of shooter games, but also making it a smoother process. It's easier to distinguish now when to use one of the various powers from the combat wheel, and just what enemy has a shield and which has a barrier, by it handily placing the word 'Shield' onto the enemies health bar. However I was greatly disappointed by the RPG elements that have been taken away from combat. In Mass Effect 1 you could spend ages tweaking yours and your team mate's guns, there were many to collect from all over the galaxy and you could choose different types of ammo and variations of a particular shotgun. This has all been completely taken away in the second game and instead you simply get what you're given. There's no more need to watch for your gun over heating anymore either, in the new game when your gun heats up it ejects a thermal clip onto the floor. You need to keep an eye out for these thermal clips throughout the game and walking over them automatically picks them up. While this does gear the game towards the shooter market, it did take away the annoyance of hiding behind cover, waiting for your gun to cool down, whilst your team mates are shot down around you.

As with the weapons, the armour is no longer as customisable as the first. In fact there are very limited options and whilst you can tweak very slightly, this is nothing compared to the vast combinations available in the first game. I'm annoyed at how I can't customise anything belonging to my team mates either, and the game simply decides what armour they have. I loved going around finding armour for me and my team mates in the first game, and you now have no real control over it in the second game. Again it seems they really have taken a lot of the RPG elements away from this game, to make it appeal to the wider market.

On board the Normandy you have access to the galaxy map, which lets you control just where you are taking your ship around the galaxy. There are tons of galaxies to explore and whilst you can spend a while looking at planets, there are only so many you can land on. You now have to scan planets for important resources such as Platinum and Element Zero. Once you have these, you can access upgrades for your weapons and ship at the click of a button. Scanning planets for resources does get rather tedious after a while, and doing it is rather essential as you need to be upgraded to complete the final mission of the game, however it's safe to say I don't miss travelling around in that rather annoying Miko from the first game!

There are assignments you can pick up along the way, to go with the main missions, although there aren't as many as the first game. Instead the main storyline feels much longer this time than in the first game, where it was rather short. The levelling system for your characters is still here in this game, however you can only gain XP points from doing missions, rather than by how many enemies you are killing. Once you have gained a level, you can allocate points into certain abilities. Again this has been dumbed down a lot from the first game, you now only have 4-5 abilities to choose from compared to about 10-12 from the first game.

I really took my time playing Mass Effect 2. I explored each nook and cranny and really got my money's worth from this game. The graphics are a huge improvement from the first game, it truly is visually stunning, and they've even improved the music and soundtrack, meaning strange music isn't playing at rather odd moments in the game. I was hooked on the game and really enjoyed playing it. My only grumble is that I am a huge RPG fan, and I understand the RPG market isn't as big as the shooter market, but I am still disappointment by how they've simplified many of the RPG elements, or in some cases done away with completely, and instead made this geared more towards a shooter game. My hope is some of these elements will come back with Mass Effect 3, but I guess for now that is just a case of wait and see.

Mass Effect 2 can be found for around £30-40; often Amazon is the cheapest place to buy the game. I should point out if you buy the game brand new; you receive a code inside for the 'Cerberus Network' which means straight away you can download some add-ons. If you don't buy the game brand new then the Cerberus Network costs 1200 points from the Xbox Marketplace. One of the side missions you can get will appeal to anyone who has played the first game, as it involves visiting the Normandy crash site, a rather emotional experience for Commander Shephard.

In the meantime this game really does appeal to fans of sci-fi, RPG and shooter games, and I do think it's got a bit of something in there for everyone. Mass Effect 2was just as exciting as I anticipated and there are lots of shocks in store for the player.

Also posted by me on www.dooyoo.co.uk and www.ciao.co.uk.
Wed 19/01/11 at 16:19
Regular
Your revew of Mass Effect 2 was vary good and i totaly agre with you about almost every you told us. Vary imformative.
Wed 07/04/10 at 12:47
Regular
"Let's blow stuff up"
Awesome review, and congrats on the win :^)
Tue 30/03/10 at 11:35
"possibly impossible"
Great review. I'm only just getting in to the Mass Effect games (got to do them in order!).
Mon 29/03/10 at 16:18
Regular
"How Ironic"
Warhunt wrote:
> In that case welcome to the forums. I see moderator Chris has
> already mentioned the dubious and suspicious nature we have here
> :D It's my fault really, I have to keep him on his toes.

And don't I know it! ;)
Mon 29/03/10 at 12:40
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Brilliant review. Hope you join in on the forums too! Promising new member!

Fingers crossed you will win with this review! Good luck!
Mon 29/03/10 at 09:47
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
In that case welcome to the forums. I see moderator Chris has already mentioned the dubious and suspicious nature we have here :D It's my fault really, I have to keep him on his toes.

Anywho, a decent review. When it comes to Thursday, who knows. Might even be good enough for a free game.

As a side note, I din't like Mass Effect. I didn't give it too much time in fairness, because I'd just got hold of Blue Dragon.
Sun 28/03/10 at 18:42
Regular
Thankyou! :) I understand, I do post on quite a few review sites and know what you mean about the new member thing, but I am also a writer on dooyoo and ciao, so you may see this review on there.
Sun 28/03/10 at 09:18
Regular
"I like turtles"
Hi Gemma,welcome to the forums.As Chris said it's a very good review.
Sat 27/03/10 at 21:41
Regular
"How Ironic"
Wow, what can I say. Fantastic review. Have to admit I was abit dubious at first as to wether this was just copied off the internet (take that as a compliment please - it's just the majority of new users think they can post a review off a professional gaming website and claim it as their own), but I'm convinced that we have a new contender for the upcoming GADs. Keep up the good work!
Sat 27/03/10 at 19:24
Regular
Mass Effect 2 continues on from where it left off with the first in this exciting sci-fi role playing trilogy. It was released in early 2010 following the huge success of the first game, and behind it came a huge amount of hype. It's developed by Bioware and after loving the first game, I was very excited to get stuck into the next instalment.

The game starts with Commander Shephard on the Normandy, however don't expect to get too comfortable with that familiar looking ship and crew, as before you know it your ship is under attack from a mysterious and intimidating looking space craft and moments later you see Commander Shephard being plummeted deep into space... dead. Yes, this is the opening scene for Mass Effect 2 but don't despair! Two years later you are up and about again, thanks to operation Lazarus and the organization Cerberus.

If you played Mass Effect 1 then you can important your character from your original game into Mass Effect 2, a rather cool feature which also means certain things happen in Mass Effect 2 based on decisions you made in the first game. If you haven't played Mass Effect 1 then why not?! Although not essential, I would say to play that game first as it's a huge storyline which I can't imagine playing the second game without knowing.

Back into the new game you have a brand new Normandy ship and crew to command, and sadly, the crew from the first one are no longer yours. Instead you now have to make a new crew, recruiting people from some dossiers given to you which see you exploring far ends of the galaxy to persuade people to join your team. You need to mix in with all of the alien races, nothing new as this was covered in the first one, but I felt this time around you get to know each of the races a bit more in-depth, in this game you even get to go to each races main 'city' if you'd like to call it that. I found these really fun to explore, but the main human base, the glorious Citadel which features so much in the first game, is smaller somewhat, and there's not as many places you are allowed to explore. This was disappointing for me, but hopefully this is something which could be coming back in Mass Effect 3.

There have been some big improvements from the first game. The combat has been revamped making it appeal more to fans of shooter games, but also making it a smoother process. It's easier to distinguish now when to use one of the various powers from the combat wheel, and just what enemy has a shield and which has a barrier, by it handily placing the word 'Shield' onto the enemies health bar. However I was greatly disappointed by the RPG elements that have been taken away from combat. In Mass Effect 1 you could spend ages tweaking yours and your team mate's guns, there were many to collect from all over the galaxy and you could choose different types of ammo and variations of a particular shotgun. This has all been completely taken away in the second game and instead you simply get what you're given. There's no more need to watch for your gun over heating anymore either, in the new game when your gun heats up it ejects a thermal clip onto the floor. You need to keep an eye out for these thermal clips throughout the game and walking over them automatically picks them up. While this does gear the game towards the shooter market, it did take away the annoyance of hiding behind cover, waiting for your gun to cool down, whilst your team mates are shot down around you.

As with the weapons, the armour is no longer as customisable as the first. In fact there are very limited options and whilst you can tweak very slightly, this is nothing compared to the vast combinations available in the first game. I'm annoyed at how I can't customise anything belonging to my team mates either, and the game simply decides what armour they have. I loved going around finding armour for me and my team mates in the first game, and you now have no real control over it in the second game. Again it seems they really have taken a lot of the RPG elements away from this game, to make it appeal to the wider market.

On board the Normandy you have access to the galaxy map, which lets you control just where you are taking your ship around the galaxy. There are tons of galaxies to explore and whilst you can spend a while looking at planets, there are only so many you can land on. You now have to scan planets for important resources such as Platinum and Element Zero. Once you have these, you can access upgrades for your weapons and ship at the click of a button. Scanning planets for resources does get rather tedious after a while, and doing it is rather essential as you need to be upgraded to complete the final mission of the game, however it's safe to say I don't miss travelling around in that rather annoying Miko from the first game!

There are assignments you can pick up along the way, to go with the main missions, although there aren't as many as the first game. Instead the main storyline feels much longer this time than in the first game, where it was rather short. The levelling system for your characters is still here in this game, however you can only gain XP points from doing missions, rather than by how many enemies you are killing. Once you have gained a level, you can allocate points into certain abilities. Again this has been dumbed down a lot from the first game, you now only have 4-5 abilities to choose from compared to about 10-12 from the first game.

I really took my time playing Mass Effect 2. I explored each nook and cranny and really got my money's worth from this game. The graphics are a huge improvement from the first game, it truly is visually stunning, and they've even improved the music and soundtrack, meaning strange music isn't playing at rather odd moments in the game. I was hooked on the game and really enjoyed playing it. My only grumble is that I am a huge RPG fan, and I understand the RPG market isn't as big as the shooter market, but I am still disappointment by how they've simplified many of the RPG elements, or in some cases done away with completely, and instead made this geared more towards a shooter game. My hope is some of these elements will come back with Mass Effect 3, but I guess for now that is just a case of wait and see.

Mass Effect 2 can be found for around £30-40; often Amazon is the cheapest place to buy the game. I should point out if you buy the game brand new; you receive a code inside for the 'Cerberus Network' which means straight away you can download some add-ons. If you don't buy the game brand new then the Cerberus Network costs 1200 points from the Xbox Marketplace. One of the side missions you can get will appeal to anyone who has played the first game, as it involves visiting the Normandy crash site, a rather emotional experience for Commander Shephard.

In the meantime this game really does appeal to fans of sci-fi, RPG and shooter games, and I do think it's got a bit of something in there for everyone. Mass Effect 2was just as exciting as I anticipated and there are lots of shocks in store for the player.

Also posted by me on www.dooyoo.co.uk and www.ciao.co.uk.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.