GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"freeo.la"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 14/03/10 at 11:46
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
In a previous thread Making use of Short URL redirection services!, I made a comment that Freeola could register the freeo.la domain name - and how about that, it seems they did :)

Are there any plans for the domain (i.e. for Freeola's Twitter messages), or was it a spur of the moment registration?
Thu 18/03/10 at 10:51
Regular
"Embrace the Martian"
I certainly agree with you on that. Short URLs are a must for Twitter, but why does Twitter even impose such a limitation? As my manager says "ever heard of multi part SMS?".
Thu 18/03/10 at 10:47
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
That's kind of a given, as additional look-ups are of course required, but I don't see it as a really bad thing, as Short URL's are really their to make sharing links easier for Twitter, which I thin they do really well.
Wed 17/03/10 at 16:41
Regular
"Embrace the Martian"
Mon 15/03/10 at 17:32
Regular
"Embrace the Martian"
You are right about 301 Redirects, not all do, albeit bit.ly does.

You are also right about the fact Google might even be clever with the services that do not implement 301, however there are other factors involved as well, which others better explain.

We could use it to shorten our own Tweets I suppose...
Mon 15/03/10 at 14:25
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I think you give Google to little credit there LukeM, because:

A) If any URL uses a 301 Redirect (permanently moved HTTP header) Google will often pass on the juicy page rank to the new URL, whether it's a Short URL service or regular URL.

B) Even if a Short URL service doesn't correctly 301 Redirect, I'm sure Google factor that in, and probably pass on the link juice anyway in some cases. Considering the way we all know how Short URL services are used, Google probably knows too, and factors that in to their algorithms - I know I would if I were on the Googlebot team.

Considering the vast amount of Twitter users, I'd say they help quite a few people, otherwise they just wouldn't be used. And, to be fair, with a service like Twitter, there isn't much of an alternative.

It's certainly true that if you use a Short URL service, you're stuck if they go offline (and many have done), which is why I think it would benefit Freeola to use freeo.la for any Tweets (and to allow Freeola customers to use it for the same purpose), as you'd then be in control of your own URLs.

Machie, I only noticed they'd registered it by accident, as for some reason, I just decided to type it in to the address bar, and was redirected to freeola.com - and eeo.la is available!
Mon 15/03/10 at 11:26
Regular
"Embrace the Martian"
URL Shortening doesn't help anybody IMHO. A full URL gets all the juicy benefits of page ranking on Google (providing there is no rel="nofollow"), whereas a shortened URL through a service albeit handy for Twitter, looses out on such positives.

I see it as more of a fad, and since bit.ly became the championed short URL service, one by one the others close their sites down, breaking all the links that used to link to your content.
Sun 14/03/10 at 23:27
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Officially .la is the tld (top lavel domain) of Laos, but some registrars refer to it being the extension for Los Angeles.
Sun 14/03/10 at 22:39
Regular
You should have sold it to them cjh. Oh well, did they at least thank you for pointing it out? What country does .la belong to by the way? Maybe I should register eeo.la and use a subdomain.
Sun 14/03/10 at 16:49
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Yeah LukeM spotted your comment and suggested we registered it quick before you did!:P So I registered it but we have no plans for it ye,t although URL shortening for these forum could be handy.
Sun 14/03/10 at 14:57
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I think they would do well to allow customers with Freeola web sites to create a short URL for their own Twitter accounts, such as http://freeo.la/hTs4Gh - 301 redirects to http://www.hmmm.ip3.co.uk/longitude-latitude/index.shtml.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.